Author Topic: FROZEN RICE  (Read 5209 times)

Offline 50plusandlovinglife

• Our little girl Braandi
    • View Profile
    • 50plusandlovinglife.wordpress.com
FROZEN RICE
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:42:04 am »
Did you  know you could freeze rice, until ½ an hour ago I didn't.

I get regular emails from different cooking, recipe sites and click on a post for a very quick 3 course meal, and one of the items listed, frozen cooked rice, so of course I had to do a search on this, and found a great comment on the following website re frozen rice. http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics/how-freezing-preportioned-rice

I wish I had know that last week, as I cooked Fried rice (not) in my Thermomix, I used a Quirky Cooking recipe call fried rice, and it said to use 400g.

The reason I cooked 400g, (we didn't need that much) was that I had my Varoma demonstration last week and the demonstrator Margy, told us that you could cook 400g in the steaming basket, and Granma, being Granma questioned the amount, by saying "Are you sure, that is a lot of rice?" and Margy said yes that it was correct.

Well I tried it, put 150g of coconut milk (left over from the Varoma demo) into the water, along with all of the other ingredients that I would normally use to cook fried rice, put the Varoma on the top, and I was gobsmacked at the end of the cooking time, the rice was lovely and fluffy and flavoursome top, and I would certainly cook it that way again.
50plusandlovinglife

Life is short - enjoy it while you can

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: FROZEN RICE
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:07 am »
I cooked 300gms last night and the basket was pretty full I haven't tried 400gms yet,but I certainally love the way the TMX cooks it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:37:48 am »
I always freeze leftover rice 50plus, it is so handy to bulk out a meal and is excellent for traditional fried rice too.

As far as things being suitable to freeze, check out Uni's list  and you will be surprised at some of the other things which freeze well.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 05:28:03 am »
50plus, did you cook the rice in the basket inside the TMX or in the varoma?

Mama Fergie

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 02:19:19 pm »
I freeze pilau rice, nasi goreng and steamed rice and each always tastes good after defrosting and reheating.  ;D

Froze risotto once and it was a disgusting mushy mess!

Offline 50plusandlovinglife

• Our little girl Braandi
    • View Profile
    • 50plusandlovinglife.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:08:25 am »
Hi Wonder,
Sorry only just read your question, I cooked the rice in the basket, and kept checking to see that it didn't explode!! ;D
50plusandlovinglife

Life is short - enjoy it while you can