Author Topic: Quick and dirty Kedgeree  (Read 5711 times)

Offline AnneUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
Quick and dirty Kedgeree
« on: May 19, 2016, 07:19:04 pm »
I'm not sure how authentic this recipe is but it's my TMX version of what my Mum used to cook.

Put the kettle on with a litre of water. Put basmati or long grain rice (enough for up to 4 adults) in the steamer basket. Pour boiling water into TMX with a good pinch of salt, then do that thing where you spin it at 5 for 5 seconds to rinse the rice. Then push an egg per person into the rice.  Cook for 8 minutes at Varoma temp on speed 2.5 - 4, depending on if you can hear the water bubbling out of the lid.

Immediately, take a piece of smoked haddock and slap it onto the top layer of the Varoma (chopped into pieces if it won't fit). Put that on top of the TMX.

Now chop 1 or 2 small onions into small pieces and fry them in olive oil and/butter until at least softened. My family like them well browned so they sweeten up. When cooked to your preference, add a teaspoon or two of curry powder and warm it through. Then add about 75 ml of milk and take it off the heat.  It will bubble up and turn yellow.

By now, your TMX is probably singing at you.  Carefully lift the eggs out, stand them in cold water. Check the fish to see if it is cooked, in which case take it off the TMX. Also check your rice. Since you started with boiling water, it should be almost cooked. If it is totally cooked, remove the steamer basket

Now add some frozen peas (and maybe some spinach) to either the steaming basket or the Varoma. Cook at Varoma temp for another couple of minutes, until rice and vegetables are all cooked.

While that is happening, peel and chop the eggs and place in serving bowl. Flake the fish off the skin and add to bowl. Then when they are cooked, add rice and vegetables, pour the milky onions over it all and gently fold it all together.

As you can see, it all seems to fit in together into about 20 minutes, but if you are less slick about it, you can add hot ingredients to a thermoserver as they are ready.  I don't think it needs to be served hot anyway. We eat leftovers cold.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quick and dirty Kedgeree
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 09:10:13 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Anne.We love Kedgeree :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.