Author Topic: Tenina's bread rolls  (Read 18944 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tenina's bread rolls
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 09:27:02 am »
Made 16 largish dinner rolls, definitely a different taste to the other rolls I have made.  I cut the sugar down to 50g but it could go even lower than that I think and added 2 tspns bread improver like I do to everything these days. Did 3 different shapes which was fun. Nice dough to work with. Because of the cooler weather now, I proved the dough in a 50oC oven for both risings (just covered with a teatowel) and they were perfect.  Thanks Tenina and Maddy for posting the recipe on the forum.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:32:38 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 12:41:41 pm »
Judy, I was thinking of dropping the sugar amount again too.
How much do you think you will put in the next lot?  Less sugar wouldn't effect the texture, just the taste?

Also on the dough rising, I filled the sink about 1/3 with hot water, sat the plastic bowl (covered in gladwrap) in the water, and it did rise quickly too.
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 12:48:11 pm »
I'm going to try 20g but I really can't see the point of the sugar at all maddy - anyone know why there needs to be so much?  I remember years ago the hue and cry when it was discovered how many teaspoons of sugar was in a hamburger bun from one or other of those 2 big hamburger places.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 04:17:30 pm »
JD can you look on your container to see if any preservatives or additives are in the bread improver?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2010, 09:58:41 am »
Err I made these rolls today and I think I must have done something wrong as everyone else seems to think they are really good.
I found them to be quite dry.  I got 15 out of my lot.  I would like to give them another shot and add improver as I think that really helps to soften.  Sorry, but going on this batch they didn't really impress to be honest, but will update if my next attempt is more favourable.  :)

I did reduce the sugar to 20g too and they seemed sweet enough, also I used full cream milk not buttermilk.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 12:42:58 pm »
They look nice enough JulieO.  Somehow I think I do prefer the UK forum ones (olive oil rolls) when you want a softer roll and then of course isi's crunchy ones are great too.

CP63 the ingredients in the Wallaby Bread Improver are - wheat flour, soya flour, emulsifier (480), ascorbic acid, mineral salt (516), enzyme.   Anything there that is a problem?

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 01:34:29 pm »
As JD said -they look the goods.  Wait for another batch - if you're game.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 11:59:18 pm »
Thanks Judy and Thermomixer, I'm wondering if anyone else felt that they were a bit dry or whether it was just my lot. They looked really good, but like Judy I too prefer the olive oil/Isi rolls.

It's good to try new recipes though.  :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 02:00:34 am »
Thanks Judy and Thermomixer, I'm wondering if anyone else felt that they were a bit dry or whether it was just my lot. They looked really good, but like Judy I too prefer the olive oil/Isi rolls.

It's good to try new recipes though.  :)

Had a thought Julie......I make 8 large rolls with this mix.....I haven't made the smaller dinner roll size.  Do you thing maybe being larger, with the same cooking time as the small size rolls, this could effect them in being drier?
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 02:18:19 am »

Maddy - good to see you back, I thought we'd lost you there for a minute.   ;)

Had a thought Julie......I make 8 large rolls with this mix.....I haven't made the smaller dinner roll size.  Do you thing maybe being larger, with the same cooking time as the small size rolls, this could effect them in being drier?

That  is quite a possibility.  Maybe before writing the recipe off I should try bigger rolls just to see if it makes any difference, because obviously yours weren't dry?

Thanks maddy.  :)

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 02:26:46 am »
I'm going to try 20g but I really can't see the point of the sugar at all maddy - anyone know why there needs to be so much? 

I may be mistaken, but isn't sugar the food that Yeast feeds on? That would mean that if you reduce it too much, you'll probably lose some of your "rise".

As for the bread improver, it looks OK from the FAILSAFE diet point of view, although not sure what "enzyme" may effect. For me though, I try to steer clear of anything containing "soy" just because of the years of articles I've read about the effects of GMO'ing it. I know it's been a lifesaver for many dairy intollerent people though, so everyone has to make up theri own mind on that one.

Russell.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 02:49:01 am »

CP63 the ingredients in the Wallaby Bread Improver are - wheat flour, soya flour, emulsifier (480), ascorbic acid, mineral salt (516), enzyme.   Anything there that is a problem?

I have just bought the Simply No Knead improver

Ingredients

Non genetically modified soy flour
bakers flour
ascorbic acid
enzyme (amylase)

Maddy - good to see you back, I thought we'd lost you there for a minute.   ;)

so did I!

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2010, 03:11:33 am »

I have just bought the Simply No Knead improver

Ingredients

Non genetically modified soy flour
bakers flour
ascorbic acid
enzyme (amylase)

Ahh Ok now I understand how it works.

Amylase breaks starch down into sugars, and the sugars feed the yeast. Ascorbic acid also helps the yeast work by creating a slightly acidic environment and helping preserve the bread. We bought plain ascorbic acid as a bread improver. I guess with the Amylase as well, it would work better.

Russell.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 03:22:43 am »
Glad you knew about it Russell......I was clueless  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2010, 07:27:23 am »
JulieO, my rolls weren't dry, they turned out really well but it was the sweetness that I wasn't keen on which is why I prefer the olive oil roll recipe instead.