Author Topic: Artisan no-knead bread in 5 mins  (Read 39934 times)

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
Re: Artisan no-knead bread in 5 mins
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2010, 11:55:06 am »
I made the "master" Artisan 5 minute recipe tonight. I only used the TMX to mix the ingredients but I'm still sure this saved a lot of work given how hard the TMX had to work at the end!

The only changes I made from the original were to use bakers flour instead of all-purpose, as they specifically mention you need to use unbleached all-purpose, and all of the "all-purpose" flour I found over here is bleached. My bakers flour is unbleached. I had to add and extra 1/4 cup of water per the directions on the site.

Well I must say this bread is awesome. For something so simple to make it came out spectacularly. I also used the dutch oven option as I don't have a pizza stone and the process with it seems easier.

In particular the crust is fantastic. The initial loaf has only a small amount left after minutes. Really should have taken a photo as with the sesame seeds on top looked great.

tony

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 03:58:05 am »
great to have successes tonydav.  Especially with recipes that look so simple but yield great results.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 04:21:14 am »
As I said, very impressed so I'll certainly keep making this - next a double batch for the fridge!

I'd also like to try their whole grain recipe. (Well actually 75% whole grain is the only one they have on the web).  I have a 20kg bag of hard wheat and obviously easy enough to mill this in the TMX. Need to purchase some Vital Wheat Gluten before I try it though.

Will keep everyone updated.....

tony

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 12:00:49 pm »
I make mine with about 75% whole grain flour now - I don't add gluten, and I use spelt and rye.  Works well, heavy, but never crumbly - we love it!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 04:52:23 pm »
The "heavy" is what I'm afraid of. I'm trying to find something that the kids will be happy to eat all the time and take for lunches, and not just "cause Dad says it's good for us".  The basic artisan in 5 loaf tastes great, as good as anything I've had from a bakery IMO. The kids all love it, even the 22month old. If I can get a whole wheat (or 50-75%) that is as successful, with wheat I mill myself, I'll be happy!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 03:39:08 pm »
I Made the Berry & Lemon Curd Ring mentioned earlier in this thread. http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=641
Used the Brioch recipe in the EDC.  After the dough had risen for an hour I halved it and made 1 Raspberry & Lemon Curd and the other I made using a half quantity of custard from the EDC, 2 granny smith apples chopped a few seconds in the TMX, cinnamon and raw sugar. Both were delicious.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 04:16:13 pm »
They look great VHJ, bet you were as proud as punch with your efforts.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 03:27:23 am »
Great work VHJ - very impressive.   :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2010, 08:47:47 am »
Clever lady. The look delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 02:36:30 am »
I'm really wanting to make this bread, but can't for the life of me find the recipe for the master dough! I've looked on their website and also Amanda's blog, but all to no avail. It's probably staring me in the face....

Lately when I've been making my bread, I've been making 250g extra and putting the extra in the fridge to use in the next batch of bread. I forgot to do this for a while and the dough was left for two weeks. I threw it out and it had a strong alcohol smell, but it was probably quite alright to use!

Edited to add, that I found it!

Master Recipe
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:40:04 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 03:11:42 am »
Just wondering if anyone has converted this recipe to grams.
I've been reading on the site that if using high protein flour, you need to use 83% water. This is the formula to work out how much water to use:

.83 x flour weight.

I'm a bit pedantic about using percentage when making bread. It's a carry over from my skin care production. I use percentage to calculate my recipes for moisturisers, shampoos etc. and just can't help using them when making bread!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 05:09:28 am »
I've made this about 4 times now (double mixtures). We go through a loaf a day with 3 kids hence it's great that it's so quick and easy.

I always use bakers flour as the crust is supposed to be the best.  This is the recipe I use allowing for the protein level.

Recipe for artisan bread here (how I make it anyway).

Put dry ingredients in bowl and mix together
6.5 cups (970 gms) Wallaby unbleached bakers flour **
16 gms dry yeast
15-20 gms salt depending on taste (I use 20gms).

Blitz turbo a few times to thoroughly mix the dry ingredients.

Add 3.25 cups water (810gms) lukewarm water **
Mix thoroughly on speed 7 for 2 minutes
DO NOT KNEAD the dough.

Once mixed put in 6L or so container with lid. Leave lid slightly ajar and put in warm spot for a couple of hours until fully risen. May take longer with current cold conditions. I left it out overnight once and didn't hurt. When fully risen it will start to "flatten" on the top. NFI what this means. Mine just stops rising.

Put in fridge.  You can cook at this stage but better to leave at least a day as flavours develop (I did of course cook a loaf the first time immediately after the rising time Smile emoticon)

When you want to make a loaf, dust top of dough with some flour. Have some baking paper ready. Oil hands with non-stick spray or oil. Cut off a chunk about 750gms. Roughly mold into shape by pulling tops around the bottom then put on baking paper. If you want to make more of a sandwich loaf put in a loaf tin instead. Mine is about 24cm long, 13cm wide and 7cm high. I use a strip of baking paper across the bottom and 2 sides to stop any sticking.

Cover with container or oiled gladwrap and rest for 90 minutes. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top, then dust flour and cut a few slices in top using serrated knife or scissors.  I don't always use the flour as I don't think it looks as good but it's supposed to help with the cutting.

Put glass half filled with hot water on bottom shelf of oven

Heat oven to 230 C.

Put bread in oven for around 30 mins until browned and cooked in middle (190-195 F in centre or cake tester comes out clean).

Remove from pan and put on cooling rack until at room temperature. Don't slice before cool.

Or to do as a "boule", as above but put on baking paper.

Don't need the glass of water. Preheat oven to 260 C with enamelled cast iron casserole dish.  After resting, cutting and sprinkling, *carefully* put dough, paper and all into casserole dish and put lid on.

After 20 minutes remove lid, reduce heat to 230 C and cook further 10 minutes or until cooked.

This last method gives the absolute best crust but is a pain for sandwiches.   

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 05:27:30 am »
thanks tonydav for the recipe, and tips. unlike mj i was too embarrassed to admit that i couldn't find the recipe anywhere  :-[
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 05:34:49 am »
 ;D

I've made my master batch and it's rising on a sunny window sill as I type. I used the requisite 6 1/2 cups flour, but it weighed out at a 1000g? I did use 2 1/2 cups rye flour, which is probably heavier.
I used 830g water, but I don't think my mix is a sloppy as it should be. It's wet, but kind of like the 5 seed loaf, so I'm hoping it's OK.

I'll be baking my loaf tonight when I get home from our Council meeting, so I'll post and let you know how it goes!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Berry

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 06:07:40 am »
Thanks tonydav for such a detailed run-down.  This recipe appealed to me as I rarely have time in the mornings (or night!) to do the whole kneading/rising/cleaning up thing, so last week was my first bread-making attempt.  My first problem was the size of the container (I think it was about 4L, the biggest I had), so when it rose it lifted the lid a little but then just stuck to it.  When I lifted the lid it all deflated (though still clinging to the lid!), so I just whacked it in the fridge.  The next morning I forgot about the 40 minute resting time and was running late for work, so chucked it in a warm oven to warm it up a little (probably about 20 mins) and then crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.  It certainly looked the part (although a little small), and while edible it was very very dense.  There were so many stages that it could (and probably did!) go wrong I haven't had the nerve to try it again.  I also used plain flour as the stuff I had was unbleached.

Looking forward now to giving it another go.  Thanks again!  ;D