Author Topic: My FRUGAL FAN CHALLENGE #1 - No more bread! (from the store)  (Read 16160 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: My FRUGAL FAN CHALLENGE #1 - No more bread! (from the store)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 03:40:51 am »
Food only  and milk for the kiddies. A much much harder challenge would be to give up our Thermomixers for a week or heaven forbid this forum.

I'm game. I might find some interesting things in the freezer.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 11:24:32 am »
I like the idea of Frugal challenges - that fits well for me and our lifestyle  ;D

Hi  CarolineW! The Frugal Fan Challenge #1 (http://SuperKitchenMachine.com/2009/1494/how-to-bake-bread.html) was started as a way of showing proving to Canadians that there are ways to save money with Thermomix. here, most people think those of us who own a Thermomix (and you can count us on one hand!) are crazy, rich types who have more money than brains. That's certainly NOT me! If I could show people here that Bimby is not just a "rich man's toy", and that it can even help people save money, I think more people would be open to hearing about it. That's the same reason I was asking for Bimby owners to send in a photo of their Bimby...  ( http://SuperKitchenMachine.com/2009/2161/thermomix-photos.html ) because I wanted to show Canadians that 'real people' own Bimbys...

And so far, from what I can tell, the people in this forum are mighty real.  ;) and cool... 8) and cheeky too  :o

TMB
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 12:58:32 am by ThermomixBlogger »
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 12:46:40 pm »
I love the idea of coming up with a new challenge.  The "no shopping" challenge is a great idea.  There is a website which promotes this idea, and usually allows one or two exceptions.  So for us it would be milk.  And for families with young children, the challenge does not include nappies, formula etc - it is for food only.
Have been doing this on another forum I admin on.... only we all use cloth nappies so that part doesn't count!  ;D I have done 2 weeks and spent a total of $22 in the fortnight on foodstuffs!  :o
Almost felt like I was cheating since I had the TMX!  :-\

Quote from: ThermomixBlogger
And so far, from what I can tell, the people in this forum are mighty real.  ;) and cool...  8) and cheeky too   :o

TMB
Us? Never!!! :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:20:10 am by Ceejay »
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 01:06:01 pm »
Well done Ceejay - a great effort. ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »
I picked up a book in the bookstore along these lines (think it was $21 per week), and I nearly bought the book because the IDEA really appeals to me. Unfortunately, realistically speaking even the milk, butter, cream, eggs, cheese, and nuts (very basic items) our family of 5  consumes a week means that we could not even attempt to get near this. Throw into the equasion all the other little lovelies like frozen raspberries, blue berries, bananas to name just a couple, and we are out of the competition before we are in it. I reckon every time I walk into the supermarket on average I walk out conservatively about $70 (at least) poorer. We shop 7 days a week. That is very embarrassing to admit...but we are all very healthy...

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 01:55:00 am »
We all shop differently and have different lifestyles, needs etc.  I think part of the idea is to get creative.  Eg halfway through making muffins, I don't have any chocolate chips.  So I see what else I have instead eg sultanas, berries, apple, tinned pear, instead of going to the shops for chocolate.  So I think you can run with the IDEA with a few mods for your needs.  Eg buying nothing except milk, butter, fruit & vegies etc.  What works for one, won't work for everyone.  And maybe the bigger the family, the bigger the allowance - not necessarily $21.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 06:22:28 am »
I picked up a book in the bookstore along these lines (think it was $21 per week), and I nearly bought the book because the IDEA really appeals to me. Unfortunately, realistically speaking even the milk, butter, cream, eggs, cheese, and nuts (very basic items) our family of 5  consumes a week means that we could not even attempt to get near this. Throw into the equasion all the other little lovelies like frozen raspberries, blue berries, bananas to name just a couple, and we are out of the competition before we are in it. I reckon every time I walk into the supermarket on average I walk out conservatively about $70 (at least) poorer. We shop 7 days a week. That is very embarrassing to admit...but we are all very healthy...

It's not about doing it every week CP63!  Just those weeks where you a little short of $$ ;)
I did it because the pantry/fridge etc needed to be cleaned out and I refused to let much of it go to waste.  :)
85% of my shopping is organic so it's a challenge but one I really enjoyed!
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.

musingnmayhem

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 06:24:20 am »
We all shop differently and have different lifestyles, needs etc.  I think part of the idea is to get creative.  Eg halfway through making muffins, I don't have any chocolate chips.  So I see what else I have instead eg sultanas, berries, apple, tinned pear, instead of going to the shops for chocolate.  So I think you can run with the IDEA with a few mods for your needs.  Eg buying nothing except milk, butter, fruit & vegies etc.  What works for one, won't work for everyone.  And maybe the bigger the family, the bigger the allowance - not necessarily $21.

It's worked out to $21 per family of 4. As there are 5 of us here, technically it's supposed to be $26.25 a week.  You can add $5.25 per each extra family member... I didn't count it as such as my youngest is 2 and I doubt it makes that much difference really.  Ask me when he's 10!  :D

musingnmayhem

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 06:37:12 am »
I looked at that book too. I was a little disappointed when I read that it was only for one week.  I thought someone had performed a miracle and we could feed the mob for $21 every week.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 06:46:51 am »
Here's a link to the first chapter online.

http://www.21dollarchallenge.com/chapter-one.pdf

:)

musingnmayhem

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 06:51:45 am »
Me too cookie! My fridge and pantry are packed to overflowing -- and my kids still say "we have no food!". I come back from the shops juggling close to a hundred shopping bags draped along and around various body parts and they look at me puffing and panting under the sheer weight of it all...and say "I hope you have some food there because we have absolutely NOTHING".  Gotta laugh. (We have a fat phantom in our house that eats everything also, because if you ask who ate all the biscuits that were cooked just 2 hours before -- it appears that no one had more than 2... if they were even lucky to have seen them even or try them at all). I'm afraid I put that book right back on the shelf because I knew it just wasn't feasible.  :-))

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 06:49:04 am »
Yes CP63, we have the same china-man live under/on our roof. DH calls him Sum...... I won't repeat the rest as it is rather rude lol but totally know where you are coming from lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 09:11:55 am »
ROFWL  ;D yes, I know him too. Sure does get around.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 09:47:17 am »
Is it the same gremlin that uses the last roll of toilet paper and doesn't replace it?  Or put it on the shopping list?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 11:01:45 am »
That'll be him! On the rare occasion if you ever catch him in the act of something, he will actually disguise himself and morph into a family member. But that is very rare because he is super sneaky and rarely gets caught.