Author Topic: Sticky Red Onion & Sausage Bake with Gravy  (Read 6305 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Sticky Red Onion & Sausage Bake with Gravy
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:34:07 pm »
I just discovered this recipe last week and it was an instant success.  You can simply add or subtract anything you like (or don't like!).  Drop out the potatoes and serve the bake with mash instead ... I cooked this as a vegan dish so the "gravy" was more tomato flavoured than this recipe.  You could also use meat sausages - it really is up to you what you add or don't add.

Rice bran oil, olive oil, coconut oil ... any oil, really.  I used Rice Bran.
12 frozen vegan sausages (separate them before you freeze them if possible)
5 red onions – more or less
4-5 potatoes, 1 cm cubed, peeling optional, quantity optional
Whole or lightly chopped garlic cloves – optional, quantity up to you
Gravy stock or granules*
2 vegetable stock cubes (I used 2 tsp Massell vegetable stock powder)
2 tsp cornflour for thickening (quantity may be variable depending on how you make your gravy)
500ml/2 cups boiling water – you may want to use more!
1 tsp dried thyme
a good grinding of black pepper

*For the gravy I used some spare passata sauce and the rinsing water from a tin of tomatoes.

Preheat the oven to 220c/200c fan/425f/Gas 7.

Peel and quarter the onions, then place them in a roasting tray with the garlic, sausages and potatoes.  Toss them in the oil to coat.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until starting to brown – check them after 15 or so minutes and stir if they are starting to get a bit too brown or burnt looking

Pour boiling water into a jug or bowl and add the *gravy, stock cubes, cornflour and thyme and stir until dissolved.

Pour the gravy over the sausages mix, then season with black pepper and pop back in the oven for another 20-25 minutes until the gravy has thickened.

NB:  This is easier to serve if you cut the sausages at this stage – if you cut them too soon they will probably dry out too much.

I got this recipe off one of my favourite blogs and adapted it somewhat :  www.tinnedtomatoes.com
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:59:15 pm by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky Red Onion & Sausage Bake with Gravy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:29:03 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Marina.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.