Author Topic: List of Hints and Tips for New Owners  (Read 230875 times)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
List of Hints and Tips for New Owners
« on: August 11, 2009, 01:53:24 pm »
OK - a little while ago I promised to post the list of hints and tips that was being compiled by the Vic team of consultants.  Most of it is just copied and pasted. 

Feel free to add any more suggestions  ;D

While I've titled it for New Owners - I'm sure they're be new things in there for alot of existing owners too - so here we go:

Clean Thermomix
For cleaning of Thermomix where smell present.
Ingredients   :
·   2 Teaspoons Bi Carb Soda
·   Lemon Juice (good squeeze)
·   1 Litre Water
Method
Add all ingredients to TM Bowl and cook for 10 minutes on Varoma temperature, speed 4.
Rinse with clean water.

Other Consideration
Often the smell is in the lid. Leave the lid off overnight with some water and 1 tsp of vinegar to soak. Rinse in the morning.
Also placing the lid in the freezer overnight helps dissipate smells.

SPATULA
Spatula is to be used clockwise to avoid nicks. If you are left handed, purchase an inexpensive spatula for removing food from the bottom of the Thermomix Jug.

You can use the spatula (ONLY THE TMX SPATULA!!) through the whole in the lid to move ingredients along - especially if an air bubble has formed around the blades.
When making sorbet it works well to stir anti-clockwise during the second batch of ice.

You can also remove food stuck around the shaft of the blades by running the short side of the spatula hugging the shaft once around, you can manage to remove most of the food (ie making dip).

SHARPENING BLADES
Periodically crush ice. If blades aren't grinding sugar, spices or grains as well as it usually does crush some ice.

Cleaning
·A baby’s teat brush is the best way to clean in between and under the blades when necessary.
·You can steam clean the Thermomix– 5 mins on speed 3, 90 degrees (good for custard, risotto)
·For rinsing, just cover the blades with cold water, turn it up to speed 8 for 3-4 seconds and rinse out.
·If you have any browning issues with the Thermomix or just want to give it a good clean, add 2-3 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda when you are steam cleaning. Other alternative, make a paste with bicarb and water, and rub it on with a damp cloth until clean.
- Don't forget to clean behind the TMX on a regular basis - it's amazing how quickly it can get dirtly.

Dishwasher
Although it says you can clean the Thermomix bowl in the dishwasher, our technician has advised that our dishwasher powders are move corrosive than European powders. Over time this will corrode the heat sensors at the base of the jug. All other parts are completely dishwasher safe i.e. lid, basket, spatula and Varoma

Removing stuck food
Clean with a soft scourer only; all metal utensils are not suitable, only use utensils suitable for non stick surfaces. Keeping your bowl scratch free prevents any transferal of flavours.

Rinsing
After washing, best to always final rinse with cold water as a hot bowl can be problematic for some food preparations.

Drying Itself - great for showing off in front of friends!!  ;)
You can use a tea towel and the reverse mode to automatically dry your Thermomix bowl. Loosely place tea towel into the bottom of Thermomix bowl, secure lid, activate reverse mode, speed 2 for 10 to 15 seconds.

The turbo button can also be used a few times before putting the tea towel in to remove excess water from blades.  You can also put the temp on 80c or 90c too to help dry the base (just remember to cool it before you use it for something that should have a cool blade & bowl  ;) )

Milling/Grinding
For milling and grinding, extra drying of Thermomix Bowl is necessary for best results if you have just washed and dried bowl. Secure lid, activate lid locked position on speed dial and activate the Turbo button once. Water underneath the blades will flick onto the sides of the bowl and can be dried with towel. You are now ready for milling.

When milling or grinding you can place a piece of paper towel between the MC and the lid so that little pieces don't fly out.

If milling spices, you can also place a whole sheet of paper towel under the lid to avoid the ground spices being caught at the top of the lid.

Removing Bread Dough
For removal of bread dough, tip Thermomix Bowl upside down and the dough will drop out. If dough is too wet it will be stuck inside the bowl. The touch test is best carried out 10 seconds into the kneading. On the rest interval, through hole in the lid, touch the dough with two fingers, if fingers are clean dough will be easier to handle, if dough is sticky and sticks to fingers, add 1 heaped dessertspoon of bread flour through top of lid. This will facilitate easier removal from the Thermomix bowl and will be clean and easy to work with (you won’t need to add flour to dough when shaping).  It's also worth checking again after about 1 min 30 sec after the bread starts to relax. It doesn't have to be an exact science  ;) ;D
You can also spin the blade attachment on the bottom side of the bowl ( the black bit) to help move the dough out.

KNEADING
Whist kneading it is important not to walk away from your TMX  as the dough can gather on one side and cause the TMX to unbalance creating a "walk" or a "dance" - so it's important to make sure it doesn't groove off the edge of the bench.

Chopping Herbs
When chopping herbs and vegetables, at the same time for a salad or stock concentrate, add herbs first, stems and all and then the vegetables, you will achieve an even result with all herbs and stems cut evenly.

Scale Care
Thermomix must be on a flat surface and the little feet clean, for the scales to work effectively. The scales are very sensitive. You may find it better to have the cord fully out when using the scales.
Don't drag your TMX over the bench as the 3 feet are attached to the scales and can eventually upset scales.
When scraping, stirring etc, avoid the urge to tap the spoon/spatula on the bowl to remove excess food - this upsets the scales and may eventually mean that the scales will need to be re-calibrated.

Stirring slowly
Soft Speed is represented by the spoon symbol on the speed dial, turning the blades at 40rpm.

Timer
( - ) = 1 minute, then (+) increases time in 30 second increments until 10 minutes, then goes by 1 minute incriments
(+) = 1 second at time up to 1 minute then 30second increments until 10 minutes, then goes by 1 minute incriments
To clear the timer press the (-) and the (+) buttons at the same time

Cooking Safety feature - TTS (time temperature speed)
Set timer, temperature, speed. Never burn food again!

Measuring while cooking
If you need to measure in more ingredients while cooking, turn the dial to the closed lid or open lid position (which ever is required), set your scales, weigh in ingredients. To resume turn dial back to the speed you were using and the Thermomix remembers the temp and the remaining time.

Stopping Heat
Should you wish to stop the bowl cooking but continue stirring, simply press the power button next to the 37C button and the heat will cut out

Clearing remaining time
Press both the (+) and the (-) buttons together to re-set/clear the timer

Lid
To keep your bench clean while cooking, when taking your lid off rest it up-side-down on the bench so that it doesn't drip and place the MC in the hole of the lid or on the inside of the upturned lid (not in the hole) to avoid any drips going onto the bench.

Double Lock Safety Feature
The lid is designed to lock into position and the dial must also lock in the lid. This happens automatically when using the dial to stir, cut or mill. To use the Turbo or Kneading (Interval) functions you will need to turn the dial to the little lock lid position  *:

Butterfly
Once the butterfly is inserted you MUST NOT go over speed 4 - otherwise the butterfly may come off and get damaged in the bowl. When using the butterfly the MC may also be placed in upside down if required. When placing the butterfly into the bowl it goes in the smaller space between the blades.

Automatic Powersave
After 15 minutes of no activity the Thermomix will switch itself off.

Cooking with the Varoma

When steaming in the Thermomix Varoma, time is relative to convention rules of cooking. A thicker fillet of fish will take longer to cook than a thinner fillet. Harder vegetables (potatoes, carrot etc) take longer than green vegetables and leafy green take less time again. If you like your vegetables crunchy then less time again than if you like your greens soft.

When you add the minimum water - 500mls, it takes 7 minutes to reach Varoma.
When you add 900mls of water to the Thermomix for steaming, you will notice that 10 minutes of that time is in the heating of the water to Varoma temperature when the steaming/cooking process begins.
It takes 7 minutes at speed 1 for 1 litre of water to get to 100c.

Rule of thumb, greens take 1 to 5 minutes depending on the size that they are cut (again usual rules of cooking) large pieces if broccoli will take 5 minutes and smaller pieces take 3 minutes. Spinach leaves take 1 minute. Add this time to the heating of the water and you have a total time to set the cooking time from 11 minutes to 16 minutes. If you add the minimum of water - 500mls, it takes 7 minutes to reach Varoma, so calculations will start with 7 minutes.

A thick fillet of fish (typically Atlantic salmon) will take around 20 minutes with 900mls of water and a basket of rice cooking at the same time ( Remove the rice after 14 minutes).If you are steaming the fish without the rice it will cook quicker (around 16 minutes cooking time)

In the beginning take a guess based on these times, check the food for the degree of cooking required at the end of cooking time and add more time if needed, remembering that you would be adding extra time in increments of 1 to 4 minutes because the water is at Varoma temperature so every minute is a lot of cooking time.

REMOVING VAROMA LID
To remove the varoma lid - lift it up on the side so it opens away from you - avoiding any steam burns.
You can also place the varoma lid upside down on the bench to serve as a tray to place the base on to catch the drips from the Varoma dish.

STORAGE
When storing a bowl or while it is not in use, leave the MC off to allow the bowl to dry completely and air - you can leave it sitting on top of the lid to avoid losing it or accidentally forgetting it's in the bowl.

CRACKING EGGS
Don't crack your eggs on the side of the TM bowl as spills onto the TM bowl can cook onto the bowl.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:58:04 am by cookie1 »
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
Re: List of Hints and Tips for New Owners
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 11:42:42 am »
bumping

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:05:34 am »
Thanks again ILB. It doesn't hurt to re read these every now and again to refresh our memory.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 12:51:57 pm »
Thanks again ILB. It doesn't hurt to re read these every now and again to refresh our memory.

Thanks for the list.   I now realize why I can't use the spatula effectively,  I'm left handed.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 01:12:22 pm »
I'm right handed and still prefer the Tupperware soft spatula to get out the last dregs.   Sorry ILB - not helping with sales of new spatulas
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 01:16:51 pm »
LOL - thats fine Thermomixer. I completely understand everyones frustrations with the spatula.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 02:24:40 am »
I'm left handed too Chookie. Will make no further comment on how wonderful we are etc...........

On year at school on Left Handers Day I made a special certificate for all the lefties in my class. I had so many complaints from the parents that I had to declare the next day right handers day and do the same for them.

Don't you just hate it when you have to write right up against the edge of a book stapled on the left? That is my lifes big bugbear.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 04:26:27 am »
Great thread! Thank you for putting it together.
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:04:39 am »
Great list  ;D

I hate the spatula too. Infact, I think all rigid spatulas are useless. I love my Tupperware spatula, and a slimmer, flexible one that I have (unknown brand).

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 05:22:38 am »
Glad I'm not the only one who avoids my TMX spatula.... it only gets used for the sorbet.  :P
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 03:47:04 am »
Just thought this should be here as well for newbies (and me  ;) ;) )

Oh - And its 34 points. :D
Introduction to your Thermomix:
Consultants Name: Date:
Phone Numbers:
1.    un-pack Unpack Thermomix box, including Varoma.
2.    set-up Set-up Thermomix, leaving strainer basket in jug.
3.    cord Pull out cord fully.
4.    scales Instruct customer on protocols for scale function (ie cord to be clear of Thermomix jug and fully extended, the three suction feet to be evenly and firmly on bench surface).
Clean feet on a regular basis. Tip Thermomix to show suction cups for cleaning.
5.    removing lid Guide taking lid off + MC (measuring cup) and have customer repeat.
6.    jug to base Remove Thermomix jug from base, re-insert and have customer repeat.
7.    cleaning (1st time) Have customer activate scales, add 500ml of water to Thermomix jug and add 200ms of vinegar.
8.    closing lid Instruct customer in how to close Thermomix lid and have customer repeat.
9.    timer training Instruct ( + ) = 1 second at a time up to 1 minute then 30 second increments; pressing ( + ) and ( - ) at the same time clears the time; ( - ) = 1 minute.
10.    set timer Have customer set timer for 5 minutes.
11.    heating / cooking Safety feature: set timer, temperature and speed. Never burn food again. Clean for 5 minutes at 80 degrees, speed 1.
12.    cook book / manual Remove protective cover from cook book and apply sticker with your contact details.
13.    table of functions Explanation and location in cook book.
14.    reverse button Demonstrate the reverse button which uses the non-sharp edge of the blade for stirring.
15.    using scales Demonstrate pausing the cooking, activate the scales and fill the MC up with water while in lid – 1st specific check of scales: 100g. Demonstrate how you return to cooking.
16.   o MC MC = measuring cup. When a recipe calls for 1MC of milk, use the MC to measure the quantity (ie 100ml).
17.   o Varoma Check Varoma. Remove all parts from wrapping and check. Activate Varoma temperature, explain, reset to 80 degrees.
18.   o removing basket Heating complete, bell ringing, stop, have customer remove lid and MC and demonstrate removing the basket with the spatula.
19.   o remove spatula Demonstrate removing the spatula from the basket.
20.   o cold water rinse Rinse the Thermomix bowl with cold water, instruct why cold water (ie a hot bowl may be problematic for some dishes)
21.   o drying with tea-towel Instruct customer how to dry with a tea-towel using reverse, speed 2 for 10 seconds.
22.   o double locking Demonstrate double locking mechanism: lid to be in correct place before you can activate the lid lock position and continue with blade function. Have customer activate turbo and interval speeds – lock the lid and activate the turbo button. This is useful for extra drying when milling or grating, etc. Repeat with interval speed. Refer to recipe with symbol on page 121.
23.   o symbols – cook book Introduce the guide to symbols in the Everyday Cook Book on page 4. The first three symbols are Interval, Reverse and Soft Speed. Turn to page 80 and demonstrate how a recipe uses these symbols and the corresponding method reference.
24.   o stay with Thermomix Instruct on the food preparations that require you to stay with the Thermomix: salads, whipping cream and kneading.
25.   o b’fly: max speed 4 Have customer insert the butterfly and instruct on the speed (ie maximum speed is 4). Customer to apply lid, MC upside down and activate.
26.   o cooking experience Custard: Use scales, timer and cooking functions. Scales weigh in 5g increments. Demonstrate using container on top for weighing light ingredients (ie corn flour). Use time for all preparations when more than 1 minute is required.
27.   o stock concentrate While custard is cooking, refer to page 17 for stock concentrate.
28.   o spatula use Remove custard from bowl, demonstrating tapping the spatula inside the bowl for release of excess food. Never tap on the top, keeping the top edge of the jug in excellent condition.
29.   o cleaning the jug Where there is residual food on the sides or the bottom of the jug after removal of the contents, add 500ml of water, set timer to 4 minutes, 80 degrees, speed 2. When completed, activate blades, speed 7 for 10-15 seconds. Bowl ready for a quick rinse, using a dish cleaning brush to assist with final cleaning. Never use anything abrasive on the Thermomix for cleaning. A good choice is Scotch Brite – Never Scratch and the Thermomix Cleaning Brush. If in their home, check their cupboard for scourers and give feedback on their suitability.
30.   o error codes Page 40 of the Instruction Manual: error 70 and 73 require a technician; all other codes can be rectified following the instructions in the manual.
31.   o removal of blades Demonstrate the correct removal of the blades. Have customer repeat. Instruct in cleaning of the blades and that you can immerse them completely in water.
32.   o storage of jug Only jug with blades fitted correctly and secured in place are to be placed in the Thermomix base for use and storage.
33.   o sign invoice Have the customer sign the invoice, leaving the original copy with them for their records.
34.   o on / off switch Instruct on the use of the on / off switch and explain that the Thermomix switches off after 15 minutes of not being used.

Date: ________________________________________________________
Name of Consultant: ______________________________________________
Name of Customer: ___________________________________________________
Completed 34 step Briefing: (insert yes or no) ____________________
Customer’s Signature: ______________________________________________

Here is the list in Word format for those who want to print out a copy.  ;)

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline natslim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 05:53:56 pm »
How much water should you add to the bowl when you steam clean it?

Thanks!
Tanya

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:49:30 pm »
I don't think they really mean "steam" cleaning. I add hot water (from the tap), enough to cover the blades, and a little dishwashing detergent. Leave it on and cooking for a few mins ;)

Offline Kali Ma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 12:36:02 am »
How frustrating to be told to use in dishwasher only to now read this thread..  >:(

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 01:29:44 am »
Yeah - I have never put mine in the dishwasher as I just don't trust dishwashers with anything expensive.  But it still says in the manual that it is all dishwasher safe  >:(  :o :o
Thermomixer in Australia