Author Topic: The Bread Thread - Garlic Knots  (Read 14114 times)

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
Re: The Bread Thread - Garlic Knots
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:12:58 pm »
With regard to a convection conversion, I've seen some indicate that 25 degrees (F) should be added, and even as high as 50 degrees.  So, if the bread is to bake at 425 (F) in a convection oven, I'd try 450 instead.

When making bread, there are several things going on at once.  The yeast gives off carbon dioxide as it eats some of the sugars in the bread.  That's what causes the bread to rise.  This can be encouraged by adding things the yeast likes to eat (like malt) or increasing the temperature somewhat.  Once the yeast has done it's thing, you can't revive it.  So, if something has over risen, and you punch it down, it will probably remain down.  There are also bacteria in the bread that contribute greatly to the flavor.  They operate much slower, and prefer cooler temperatures.  Consequently, the development of a good rise and flavor is a balancing act between the yeast and the bacteria.  Allowing the bread to sit overnight gives it time to develop flavor while not exhausting the yeast. 

That said, if you're using a recipe, stick to the recommendations in the recipe.  If the recipe is designed for a 2 hour fermentation, it will probably have more yeast, and a variation of salt and sugars, designed to have the dough ready to bake in 2 hours.  This same recipe may not work in  an extended fermentation. 

Offline MrSpock

• View Profile
Re: The Bread Thread - Garlic Knots
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 03:47:47 pm »
Thank you UnConundrum, this is fascinating. I guess I'll stick to recipes for now, but knowing the science behind the bread will certainly help if I feel bold enough to experiment!
See everybody's searching for...that attitude chicken ~ Bob Geldof