Author Topic: Error 23  (Read 66400 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Error 23
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 02:27:25 am »
I've had 2 crickets lately too Cookie.  Can you picture me in bed, sitting up with my iPad and out the corner of my eye I see something move on my browny/fawny mottled carpet.  Was it a huntsman or what was it?  It blended in nicely with the carpet so I couldn't find it at first until I again saw movement, still unable to see what it was though so out the other side of the bed to go to the kitchen to find some fly spray and back on the bed I sprayed the carpet around me.  Nothing happened until 5 minutes later I saw my new string curtain move ever so slightly and busting to go to the toilet, I was very brave going there.  From there I could see the body of what looked like a cockroach on the carpet side of the curtain (heaves a big sigh of relief that it wasn't a huntsman).  Now it may have been dead but I took my thong off and bashed it to death some more.  A couple of weeks later I could hear a cockroach at night and as soon as I turned the passage light on, it stopped.  I could not for the life of me find the blessed thing until one night I happened to go into the other bathroom down the passage and as I approached it I could tell the noise was coming from there.  Of course it once again stopped when the light went on but I eventually found it hiding behind the little rubbish bin in there.  All quiet here at No. 3 now  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline tinaadele

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 05:35:07 am »
I live in the suburbs of Sydney. I truly believe it is a design fault as this can happen to anyone living anywhere. The cockroaches are obviously attracted to the heat of the motor or something. As I mentioned before this never happens to the toaster, kettle, blender etc and should definitely never happen to an expensive machine.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 08:53:26 am »
I think the most effective thing I have done besides the ring of death which is a paste not powder is to have a very bright LED night light on EVERY NIGHT beside the Thermothingy . I bought it at Woolies and it is VERY BRIGHT I also,have the pest guy dust the underside every time he comes for a pest inspection.

Yes tinaadel I do believe it is a design fault and it is not an Uncommon problem. I know of this happening in other hot climates like Malaysia. I doubt the designers in Europe ever thought about  how it is used In the tropics or indeed anywhere that cockroaches thrive.

I wonder how they manage in restaurants where the tiny beasties are so very hard to control.

My daughter had the same problem with hers also in Cairns. She lives in a brand new high rise . The things fly in.

Have a look and read of the entire thread that judy linked for you.

I suggest the light .

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline MrsG

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 11:27:18 am »
My mother in law had them in her hard drive! It killed the motherboard!
Blergh.

Offline MrsG

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 11:28:11 am »
(told her about the light, she is choosing to not believe me... I don't really care enough to show her the thread if you know what I mean)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 12:01:58 pm »
Judy my DH can't stand the sound of the Indian house crickets and has been known to get up at any time of day or night and go and spray them. Our neighbours are used to hearing him at night. He doesn't mind native ones but the others are at the right pitch to drive him crazier.  :D :D :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 12:16:57 pm »
The geckos drive me nuts , plus the curlews and  herons walking around my patio at night. The curlews screech and the herons or ibis just poop everywhere. The snakes don't make any noise but they frighten the birds and mice which do make noise. The frogs leaping about make smacking noises when they hit the widows and they leave footprints. I can' t afford to close the doors and put the air con on so have to leave everything open and hope the fans are enough .

I keep a spray bottle of water on the bedside table and when I am just too hot I give myself a spray and let the fan do it's thing on my naked  body.  The cool however does not get to the crevasse in the flab ;D

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 12:19:16 pm »
(told her about the light, she is choosing to not believe me... I don't really care enough to show her the thread if you know what I mean)

Say no more MrsG. In hear ya .

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 12:49:56 pm »
I don't know what nationality my crickets are Cookie but no creepy crawlies survive being in this house once I'm aware they're  there  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:06 pm »
No, I tend to believe if you come into my house then I can do away with you. We often have a lot do spiders, usually around Christmas.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 11:12:21 pm »
Spiders are a no no here. I spray them.  We once had an Echidna come in the door,  it looked around,  didn't like what it saw and left.  Sometimes the Wombats come on to the top lawn,  Ral chases them.  Quite a sight.
Judy you are very brave.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 11:57:37 pm »
Ha ha, brave - never Chookie but I've had to learn to do these things for myself over the years.  Loved seeing the wombat down the bottom of your yard when CC & I stayed with you.  Do they do much damage to the garden if allowed in the top part?

Offline tinaadele

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2014, 12:27:15 am »
Thanks Gert and everyone else for all your suggestions. I still think we shouldn't have to fortify our machines and prepare for battle every night. Have Australian consultants let head office know about these problems? Essentially every TM owner has a time bomb that even if they get repaired may not work again due to the damage that has been incurred.  Not to mention endless fortification to stop it from happening again - its ridiculous!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2014, 01:35:34 am »
I agree but as needs be.  I have to spray my a/c filters with Glen20 and put camphor on top of it to keep geckos out stop them from earring the mother board. That is not in the specs but it works and may prevent me from having to spend $2000 on a new one again

Like any  expensive appliance we may have to take extra measures to keep it in tip top shape and protect it from villains.

The techie replaced my circuit board so hopefully no worries.

Head office is fully aware of the problem as they have had to deal with this very problem many times. I wonder how they would deal with it if the Thermomix was still under warranty.

Gert

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2014, 08:12:41 am »
Oh Chookie how wonderful to have wombats. I love them. As you know we don't have them over here. I get very sad when I see them killed on the drive from here to Adelaide. Mainly this side of Ceduna. I once nursed a wombat for about 2 hours in Tasmania. It was the hi light of my trip.