Author Topic: Kenwood cooking chef - alternative to Thermomix?  (Read 49955 times)

vivacity

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:53:14 pm by vivacity »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Kenwood cooking chef - alternative to Thermomix?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 08:53:51 pm »
I believe this weighs about 25kg. I would have trouble lifting it.It's not compact and you would need a lot of kitchen worktop to use it and storage for the attachments.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:40:46 pm »
Sorry got the weight wrong - it's 13.6kg.That's still bloody heavy!!
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 01:29:49 am »
Had a good look at the kenwood,  thanks.   A few points,
     Difficult to put ingredients into bowl
     While it is cooking the chicken in the oil,  the steamy oil is going to stick to the upper part of the machine and will need cleaning
      The onions were chopped in a separate container on the top of machine,  another appliance to clean
      Weight?
      Why is it sitting on a chopping board?
      Cost?

Think i will stick with the TMX

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 01:56:41 am »
Hi Vivacity.  Please don't qoute me here as this is only heresay.  I have heard that this machine will cost over $2000, that it takes a long time to cook, has no varoma and once again loads of attchments to have to store and look after.  It must be huge to have a 6lt capacity, I wonder how it would go doing small amounts of food?  It does look impressive though - all that lovely shiny metal.   

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 02:16:20 am »
Hmmm.....it's very large and clumsy looking IMO.
Like chookie said, it's a small space to add in extra ingredients, and the plastic steam guard looks rather flimsy.
It couldn't make sorbets like the TMX.
I think TMX is more compact with sturdier accessories.
Good attempt to try and replicate, but no where near  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 02:18:26 am »
with over 20 attachments to buy, and a blender as another attachment. I think the thermomix is better.

Sound like alot of cleaning too.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 02:31:56 am »
Great looking machine, nice demo, just shows you how much easier the TMX is to use though. Notice how slowly he added the food to the bowl, no room to move there.  I think I would at least lift the mixer and pop everything into the bowl that way. Look how much preparation he had done before the demo started, obviously all by hand. Only plus would be that it wouldn't turn the food to mush as easily as ours but once we get to know our machine, we don't end up with mush anyway.  Apart from now being able to cook in the bowl, it is just like all the other mixmasters which have all the attachments which need washing and the very reason I didn't use them. How did he cook the rice?  It will obviously appeal to those who have not seen the TMX in action.  Thanks vivacity, would never have know it existed if you hadn't posted it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 07:30:38 am »
I found this very interesting. It is the sort of thing I would have bought if I wasn't aware of the Thermomimx.  It looks lovely.  But as said earlier there would be lots of washing up. I have a kenwood that hasn't been out of the cupboard since I've had the TMX. It's hiding in there with all it's attachements. I can't really bear to say goodbye to it. Perhaps DD will take it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

vivacity

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 03:15:04 pm »
It costs just under 1000 GBP and about 1100 Euros in Germany. Yes, it is lovely and shiny and I like the way you can see the food as it's cooking. I miss that with the TMX. I don't know if I'm correct but I think with the Kenwood it takes less work to "convert" recipes. But I agree with some of the other forum members, it seems to be more difficult to add food while the machine is stirring and the TMX doesn't need as many attachments. Some of you mentioned the weight and I suppose it's a personal decision but I quite like the look of the machine. Apart from that, if you already have a Kenwood chef then you can use the attachments you already have on the new machine.

Anyway, I'm just going to wait and see which teething problems arise with the machine. It's going to be interesting in future, there is definitely going to be more competition on the market for TMX and I think this is excellent.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 03:44:38 pm »
an interesting competitor to the TM
I think if you didnt have a TM you might consider the Kenwood as your alternative, you probably wouldnt take into account having to use all the different bits to do the same job in 1 or 2 steps in the TM....but you might prefer to have a proper 'mixer' which I think is one advantage of the Kenwood over the TM

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 06:33:15 am »
 :-\ :-\ :-\ ??? Different & larger capacity appeals for many things, but you need all those other bits to blend and probably not as well as the TMX.

I had seen them before and thought that they looked interesting, but at that price?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 06:48:59 am »
It looks lovely, but cumbersome. Doesn't weigh either... I just prefer the compact design of the TMX. I used to have a Kenwood, but prefer the KitchenAid I have now.

A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline salval

• View Profile
TMX vs Kenwood Cooking Chef
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 04:35:58 am »
Has anyone else heard much about the new Kenwood Cooking Chef?

Apparently it does "everything" the TMX does, for less $$.

The reason I'm askng is only because with making the decision to become a TMX consultant ('cause I'm so in love) I'd just like to have some info up my sleeve if anyone at my demos wants to good-naturedly "argue" the pros & cons of the two :)

Thanks
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: TMX vs Kenwood Cooking Chef
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 05:13:38 am »
salval,  don't know anything about it ,  but would ask,   does it heat at a range of settings?
                                                                               does it reverse?
                                                                                does it provide for a steamer?