Author Topic: Worcestershire Sauce  (Read 83995 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Re: Worcestershire Sauce
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 12:43:36 am »
I was pretty annoyed about that at the time!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 01:39:45 pm »
This is absolutely brilliant little recipe Thermoconvert - thank you so much for posting it!! It really clears the nasal passages as it is cooking! I didn't leave it on varoma for the full 10mins though - it looked like it was about to boil over and out at about the 7 min mark. I'll be sharing this with my friends for sure - thanks again.  :-* ;)

Offline Thermoconvert

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 10:36:32 pm »
No problem Nay-Nay.  I love simple recipes!  You have just reminded me I need to make some more for my father in law for Christmas. 

I don't tend to use much of it myself and a bottle would last years, but the men in my family seem to go through it a lot faster.  I know my husband polishes off 1-2 large bottles a year on eggs alone!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 06:52:45 am »
DH puts it on fish and chips, grilled cheese on toast to name a couple of things, let alone what I use in cooking. Can't wait to try this in the next couple of days. Thanks from us too  :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 08:11:19 am »
I just looked at the ingredients in Holbrooks Worcestershire Sauce and it has anchovies in it. I've searched the net for a recipe with anchovies and haven't found one, but came up with this interesting snippet: Lea & Perrins Original Worcestershire Sauce

On searching some more, I found out that the original recipe was created by chemists (Mr Lee and Mr Perrin) who had been employed by an Englishman who had tasted a delicious sauce in India. The first concoction was very unpleasant, so it was left in the cellar and forgotten, so the story goes. Some years later, when cleaning out the cellar, the sauce was re-discovered. It was tasted before throwing away and found to be delicious as it had fermented.
The original sauce isn't a cooked one at all, but is made by fermentation, strained, left to mature in casks and strained again into bottles..

I think I'll stick with Thermoconvert's recipe!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:18:21 am by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2010, 08:18:33 am »
Very interesting snippet!  ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 12:39:04 am »
We used to use a bottle of anchovy essence.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline willmac

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 01:07:18 am »
I made this yesterday, FANTASTIC..... thanks so much for sharing. I also did not leave it for 10 mins in the first cooking process, I stopped it at about 7 mins, was about to boil over. I am making some more today for my Dad. Thanks again.

Kay

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 05:01:43 pm »
Forgot to post in here when I made this a couple of months ago, only remembered as I need to make some more. This recipe has seen the end of me purchasing Worcestershire Sauce (woo hoo) a real hit with DH which is great as he puts it on and in EVERYTHING!!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 02:32:05 am »
A great reminder for me to make this as I have everything that's needed.  Thanks Faffa for bumping this up.  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 05:47:54 am »
He must almost drink it Kathryn - I've hardly used any of mine  ??? ???
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 07:03:59 am »
We used to use a bottle of anchovy essence.

I was thinking that the recipe was missing just that thermomixer. Where did you get anchovy essence? I have at least 4 huge jars of anchovies always. I am frightened I won't be able to get them here.

Gertbysea of anchovies
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 07:30:18 am »
I made this today as I'd finally used up my bought one.  We don't go through a lot of this usually, but it tastes so good that I can see me adding a little to things that I wouldn't usually do.

I did use a small red chilli, seeds and all from my garden and it has really given it a lovely punch.  Filled a 700g passata bottle with a little left over.  Good to know it can be kept in the pantry instead of the fridge. 

This really is nicer than the original, now if only I could find a tomato sauce (ketchup) that tastes better than store bought, haven't found one so far.  :D

Offline Nik2WIN

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2010, 06:54:34 pm »
Instead of anchovy essence would gentlemens' relish not work - its pretty much just anchovy paste

Nik
Hampshire based independent Thermomix demonstrator.
Thermomix user since October 2010

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 12:06:48 pm »
Bumping this one for our newcomers - just another thing in our pantry we can make ourselves.  This is my 3rd lot, most of it has been given away but I needed to replace my bottle which ran out yesterday. I'd had it in the pantry for 17 months so a good indication that it lasts a long time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.