Author Topic: Habanerosauce tabasco style  (Read 81897 times)

Offline stef

• my favorite monkey in antwerp zoo
    • View Profile
    • our business
Re: Habanerosauce tabasco style
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 05:19:42 pm »
Dried chilis would not do the job. They only leave part of the heat but lose that buttery flavor i so cale to like in this...  If u try dried ones, i would make the cooking time longer, add a bit more vinegar to compensate for the poss of juice and afcourse a bit less chili in weight because the moisture is gone and only the capseine remains...  I would even suggest if u use dried ones, that u cut the chili in half and soak it in the vinegar for a night.l then use that vinegar in the recipe ...
Live life to the fullest

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 05:32:32 pm »
OK Stef and thanks.  Just keeping my fingers crossed for the Scotch Bonnets :)

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

stacelee

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 09:16:21 pm »
Fantastic, something to do with the chillies I have growing.  They keep dropping off and having babies cos I can't keep up.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 09:55:38 pm »
Fantastic, something to do with the chillies I have growing.  They keep dropping off and having babies cos I can't keep up.

I so wish i was able to grow them and not buy them.. They are so expensive over here...   Let me know how it went stacelee...  Everyone keeps telling me the stuff is better then tabasco and for sure less acid.. But be careful!
Live life to the fullest

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:00 am »
Tried growing them last year with little success.  They need sun and warmth and we dont get much of that in the UK  Last decent summer was 2006 and grew plenty of stuff then ...

JB

stacelee

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 10:45:31 am »
I have them popping up all over the place together with lettuce, little yellow cherry tomatoes and flat leaf parsley and cape gooseberries.  Plants that I intentionally plant don't grow :( but other stuff grows madly.  I have little French white strawberries that are growing wild as ground cover but my sweetheart strawberries turn up their little toes.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 12:58:29 pm »
Looks awesome. Love the photo- so vibrant! Got to make this one now. Have added to te exponentially  increasing  " to do " list.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 01:02:46 pm »
Looks awesome. Love the photo- so vibrant! Got to make this one now. Have added to te exponentially  increasing  " to do " list.

tnx merlin..   the color is great  indeed!   
Live life to the fullest

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 01:26:24 pm »
Love it . Love it. Love it.

I have made a similar one using birds eye chillies but never posted it because like yours it was deadly.

I dry chillies a lot and grind them in the TMX and like you said NEVER stick your nose in the jug.

If you  do not adore hot then leave this recipe well alone. For me bring i it on. Great recipe.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline stef

• View Profile
    • our business
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:06 pm »

I have made a similar one using birds eye chillies but never posted it because like yours it was deadly.

I dry chillies a lot and grind them in the TMX and like you said NEVER stick your nose in the jug.

If you  do not adore hot then leave this recipe well alone. For me bring i it on. Great recipe.

Gert

yeah so you are the famous gert i heard about...   let me know if you like it !  it keeps a very long time in the fridge, but most of the time it is finished way to soon lol
Live life to the fullest

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 01:42:24 pm »

Gert

Not so famous Stef just talkative.  When. I finish with my MANY bottles of hot sauce I will definitely give this one a go.  I love chile but it is addictive and I find myself using it in too any things.  I love congee for breakfast and without chile it would ruin the start of my day.

Gert

yeah so you are the famous gert i heard about...   let me know if you like it !  it keeps a very long time in the fridge, but most of the time it is finished way to soon lol

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 01:26:42 pm »
I have them popping up all over the place together with lettuce, little yellow cherry tomatoes and flat leaf parsley and cape gooseberries. 

Lucky you!  Flat leaf parsley is another thing I have problems getting as well :-(

JB

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 01:30:19 pm »
Friend couldn't get the Scotch Bonnets from the supermarket, so will have to try somewhere else :-(

JB

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 02:45:46 am »
Wow this looks fantastic. I'm am going to make this for DH's birthday, he goes through tobasco sauce like milk (well nearly!) What would I substitute for the cane sugar? I have palm sugar, is that the same thing? Or just ordinary raw sugar? THanks  :)

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 02:57:32 am »
Cane sugar is from sugar cane plants which are just starting to be harvested in Cairns . It is normal sugar. I am sure you could use raw sugar and probably palm  sugar but why would you want to?  Palm sugar is made for many types of palms and comes from the sap  Boiled down Jaggery,  which some people love,  is made from a certain type of  date  palm.

Gert