Author Topic: Mashed Potatoes - the best way ?  (Read 70447 times)

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Mashed Potatoes - the best way ?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 10:18:14 pm »
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2012, 07:51:04 am »
I'm a King Edward person Denise if I get the choice.
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2012, 10:37:07 am »
I'm a King Edward person Denise if I get the choice.
My first choice always Dot ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2012, 09:00:06 pm »
Maris Piper make the best mash by far. Best all rounder potato. Only one we buy, unless unavailable. We grow it when got veg garden, not this year.
Harder to grow, so slightly more expensive in shops.

If you haven't tried it I suggest you do, but if in UK wait for new season main crop. Currently on sale last years crop of main crop potatoes.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Re: Mashed Potatoes - the best way ?
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 12:53:30 pm »
I like the idea of steaming the potatoes in the basket for an easy clean up, but tonight I got ready then found I had way too many potatoes to fit into the steaming basket.  My teenagers just love mash and will happily have seconds and thirds plus an extra one snuck in for tea tonight so had to make plenty! So just did the Nico way.

Offline consumerate

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2012, 12:53:14 am »
You could steam about 1kg of potatoes in the basket and the varoma.

I am extremely grateful for this thread. I hated the first lot of mash I did using the edc method. Since then I have always steamed potatoes in the basket before mashing and I much prefer the flavor this way.

Offline curly66

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 07:08:30 am »
because I like a bit of firmness in my mash and all the attempts I've made have been pureed, I thought I'd be smart tonight and cooked the spuds this way but let them cool before mashing to put on my tuna casserole......OMG GLUE.....the normal spuds I use but absolute gluggy glue and boy did it work the machine hard trying to mash them, I ditched the butterfly quick smart but it was just as hard on the machine with out it!!

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 08:31:53 am »
Hi Curly I have found that mash is very hit and miss, each time it comes out a bit different which is annoying when sometimes it is soo nice. Must be the different types of potatoes and how old they are?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 08:51:08 am »
I think it is definitely the potato, some are terrible for mashing in the TMX.  At the moment the pink one is the only one working for me but I only buy whichever 5kg bag is the cheapest and that is not always the pink ones.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Mama Fergie

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 11:39:34 pm »
For me the best potato for mashing is Royal Blue and they are nice roasted too  :)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 11:57:31 pm »
I always use half potato and half sweet potato. Works perfectly every time :)

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 05:32:08 am »
Recipe for my mash. 1kg potatoes diced into 2cm cubes 250mls lite milk or full if you prefer, a little salt. Cook @ 100deg for 20min or so on ^^. When cooked turn speed to 4 for approx 30sec add a dob of butter and a little milk if required. YUMBO

Love it!

I thought mashed potato in the Thermomix sounded easy until I started trying to find recipe reviews. I have to admit I am a bit apprehensive now but I am going to give it a try using this method. I hope the potatoes I had in the cupboard are floury, or a least a suitable allrounder. Wish me luck! ;)

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2014, 02:20:58 am »
Did Thermomixer's method for dinner tonight and it worked great. The potatoes took 20 min for me to get to the "fall apart" stage and then did the rest as above. Will do it like this every time!

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2014, 09:19:11 pm »
I made mashed potatoes last night using the recipe from MWOC. I used pink potatoes and cooked them for the specified 25 mins. I had cooked white potatoes using the EDc's method on the previous occasion and found that the potatoes needed further cooking after the specified 20 minutes. I have discovered that the required time varies greatly depending on the type of potato. After cooking the pink potatoes for 25 minutes, using the butterfly on speed 1, they already looked mashed!

My TMX seemed to be jumping around on the bench more than it used to when mashing. I'm not sure how to tell if it is a problem or not.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2014, 06:51:18 am »
Does it jump around with other things?  If not you may have had apiece of firm potato jammed under the blades for a while.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/