Author Topic: Natural gelato (Fior Di Latte)  (Read 17503 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Natural gelato (Fior Di Latte)
« on: November 24, 2013, 11:12:26 pm »
Name of Recipe: Gelato - the most pure of flavours from the Messina recipe book
Number of People: Makes 1.5 litres
Ingredients:

145g castor sugar
45g skim milk powder
650g pure milk - homogenised & pasteurised (I used Pura brand)
120g pure cream - 35% fat & pasteurised (I used Bulla brand)

(The ingredients I didn't use were 35g Dextrose & 5g stabiliser and it worked fine without these, these would be combined in stage 1 of the recipe if you were to use them.  See note below as to their purpose.)

Preparation:

Place the sugar and skim milk powder in the TM bowl and mix together 10 sec/reverse/speed 3. Remove from bowl and set aside.

Place the milk and cream into the TM bowl and heat 2.5mins/37o/speed 2.

Increase heat 30 sec/50o.

Add sugar mix and heat 4 mins/70o/speed 3.

Reset to 30 mins/70o/speed 2.

Place the mixture into a metal bowl & into an ice bath until temperature drops to 40oC - this will take around 10 minutes depending on how much ice you have used.

Cover the bowl and place in the freezer and stir every 10 minutes (set a timer) until temperatures drops to 4oC. This step will take around 50 minutes.

Place the bowl into the fridge for 4 hours to 'age' the gelato. It can be 'aged' overnight if this time frame is more convenient.

Turn ice-cream machine on for 10 minutes to cool the bowl or place the bowl in the freezer beforehand as I did.

Pour the gelato mixture into the TM bowl (or use a stick blender) and blend 1 min/speed 6.

Insert the gelato paddle into the ice-cream maker, pour in the mixture and churn until temperature reaches 4oC or as I did, just churned until it became thick which took approx. 40 minutes.

Pour the mixture into your freezer container and place in the freezer for a few hours before serving.

Tips/Hints:

Gelato making can be very complex and the author of this book recommends using a stabiliser (eg guar guar) and an emulsifier for any gelato that is not going to be eaten within a few hours of churning because he says the texture will be compromised as will the storing time. This is fine for commercially produced gelato but I decided to try the recipe as pure and as simply as possible and it is just lovely as is.  Even after being in the freezer overnight, it is still easily scoopable this morning and I'm sure it will only last me a week maximum.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Natural gelato (Fior Di Latte)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:01:57 am »
Excuse my ignorance but is it like icecream Judy? It looks very refreshing. Would you be able to add flavours do you think?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 08:28:21 am »
It is sort of like ice-cream Cookie and without any flavours it is amazing.  The book is full of different flavours, tiramisu, salted caramel, white chocolate etc so I intend trying many of them.  This recipe is the basis for a lot of them.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:39:05 am »
Judy,  thanks for the review.  I have Just bought this book also.  i was thinking that I probably shouldn't have as every recipe says you should eat the ice cream soon after churning or with only 4 hours freezing.  This really doesnt suit our life style.  But from your review i will now give it a go.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 10:05:17 am »
I had a good read of the book before moving onto the recipes Chookie and the author did put the wind up me a bit too. He made it sound so difficult to make gelato yet his recipes are quite simple really.  In the end I thought I had nothing to lose by giving it a go but without those additives they obviously use in commercial gelato.  I've had another serve tonight and it is still as good as when first made. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 10:41:32 am »
That is the reason I didn't buy the book Chookie. Perhaps I should have.  >:(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Crazy4Gelato

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:07:59 am »
I agree with you Judy those emulsifiers aren't necessary for homemade gelato. I use egg yolks as a natural emulsifiers, and it works fine, it give the gelato a better consistency.

Gelato is amazing, and much more healthier than ice cream cookie1 check this link to find out the differences between ice cream and gelato http://www.icecreammakergelatorecipes.com/gelato-and-ice-cream-differences/#.U0NLU_mSySo