Author Topic: Swedish meatballs converted from Taste.com.au  (Read 31799 times)

Offline pennywise

• View Profile
Swedish meatballs converted from Taste.com.au
« on: October 20, 2010, 12:33:31 am »
Name of Recipe: Swedish meatballs converted from Taste.com.au
Number of People: 3-4
Ingredients:
• 45 g (1 slice) of bread
•6 0 g thickened cream
• 500 g lean beef mince
• 1 small onion, peeled and quartered
• 1 whole garlic clove, peeled
• Pinch of ground allspice
• 1 egg
• 1/2 tsp salt
• Pepper
• Vegetable oil
• 250 g beef stock
• 1 tsp cornflour
• 100 g thickened cream, extra

Preparation:
1. Tear bread into pieces and place into Thermomix bowl. Grate for 10 seconds on Speed 8. Remove breadcrumbs from bowl and mix the first lot of cream (60g) into them. Set aside.
2. Place onion and garlic into Thermomix bowl. Chop for 2-3 seconds on Speed 7.
3. Add the mince, breadcrumbs, allspice, egg, salt and pepper. Mix for 15 seconds on Speed 2.
4. With wetted hands, shape mixture into small balls (I made 24) and place onto baking sheet.
5. Brush each meatball with vegetable oil and brown each side under a hot grill.
6. Add beef stock to Thermomix bowl and place basket in bowl. Add all meatballs to the basket. Cook for 20 minutes at Varoma temperature, speed  ^^.
7. Remove basket and set meatballs aside (in Thermoserver if you have one).
8. Combine the cornflour with a little water and stir into the stock mixture. Add extra cream and cook 6 minutes at 90 ◦C, speed 3. Pour sauce over meatballs. I served this dish with steamed broccoli and basmati rice.

Photos:
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/15455/swedish+meatballs

Tips/Hints:
For step 5, you may like to fry the meatballs instead. I prefer grilling because it is less messy and uses less oil.

members' comments

Amy101 - Made this for my family of six, served with Parmesan mash and steamed carrot. Kids all ate it up and asked for more  Managed to add a few extra vegies to the gravy without the kids noticing too! Bonus

johnro - Delicious and quick meal pennywise - served with steamed carrot and broccoli.  I brown the meatballs on stove top after light spraying with rice bran oil.  Thank you for the posting - the time saved after arriving home late from work was a blessing!!

debetha - we had no leftovers - 2 adults and 3 kids aged  7, 4 & 2!

Frozzie - we had this with brons garlic rice and supposed to have vegies with but ended up not having them as they weren't at all cooked in the time and it was already late so it was the meatballs, sauce and the rice...still quite nice...nothing exceptional but quite nice meatballs...I cooked mine in the basket and also in the top varoma tray...next time I would cook the vegies a good 10 minutes before adding the meat.  I cooked bron's rice just before and put it in the equivalent of the thermoserver.

rainbow - We tried this recipe and I cooked the meatballs in the basket, not varoma, the family enjoyed it, served with couscous and steamed vegies on the stove but all felt it needed more sauce, will do again adding more stock and cream to create a sauce. 

Traydon - absolutely delish, nothing leftover which is always a good sign. Thanks for posting.

peppa -  The 16 month old is still at the table eating more!!  The 3 and 4 year olds both ate lots too.  We had it with rice and Cranberry Sauce instead of Lingonberry Jam - a good substitute! Yum, thanks for this recipe.

Twitterpated - Got all the way to the last step where you add the cream and thought "where did I add the first lot of cream?" Went to the original recipe and found that the bread should have been soaked in the cream before making into crumbs. Oh well, it still tasted great without that. Must admit I was a little worried about the little amount of liquid used to steam the meatballs and checked on it a few times. No problems there! I added steamed vegetables to the varoma at step 6 and also added a little extra stock paste in the last step as I felt it was a little bland. I was also very generous with some pepper as well. All in all a very quick and tasty meal. Thanks for posting! 

Hally - Just made these this morning to take on holidays. Yes I went back to the original recipe & soaked the breadcrumbs in the cream. I made 20 balls. Of course had to do the taste test. Very nice & very easy. I browned the balls under the grill, but didn't  bother to turn over, they were great. Will sprinkle with parmesan cheese when serving. Will be another regular dish. Thanks.
Update - They froze perfectly & tasted fantastic. Served with fettucini, too tired to do veggies, but absolutely delish.

JD - Must say I was surprised at how good these were, not being a meatball person and all. Sometimes you just do things for your DH but I loved these.  I did add a secret ingredient to the sauce (well, not so secret really) after reading a comment that it was a bit bland.  Tenina's caramelised garlic paste, my new best friend in the taste department - added 1 tsp to double quantity of the sauce and it was the tastiest gravy which of course then ups the flavour of the meatballs themselves.  Maybe not authentic but who's telling. Put the smallish cubes of potato & thin slices carrot in the varoma bowl and pumpkin and zucchini on the tray - cooked them for 10 minutes before placing the steaming basket in the TM bowl for the 20 minutes cooking time for the meatballs.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:04:29 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Swedish meatballs converted from Taste.com.au
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 01:36:14 am »
You certainly hit the ground running pennywise with your first posting being a conversion.  Hi and welcome to the forum, perhaps you could post in the Introduction thread and tell us all a bit about yourself, where you are from, how long you've had your machine etc
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 07:47:06 am »
Welcome.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline pennywise

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:27 pm »
Thank you both for your welcome messages. I will post an introduction soon. I have only had my machine for about 3 weeks, but have had a lot of fun trying out recipes from the forum and from the EDC cookbook.  :D

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 04:43:34 am »
This is on my menu plan for the week, I hope my kids like it!

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:49:46 pm »
I did the Swedish meatball recipe from the EDC using the Varoma and I can't believe how good they tasted, particularly as I am used to frying my meatballs previously with other recipes. The sauce was also lovely. I did a hybrid of the recipe on this post and the EDC one and I think allspice works better than the cloves anyway. Also, I have lots of dill growing in the garden so it's a perfect way to use up herbs. I have done a version with parsley which works really well also. I am looking forward to trying out my next recipe from the EDC as I gradually work my way through it!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:39:23 am »
Sorry, I just realised I did the meatballs from the Meat on the Menu cookbook not EDC- in either case, they turned out really well.
In fact, most of my recipes seem to come from the Meat on the Menu cookbook these days.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 05:40:11 am »
Welcome & good work pennywise (any relation to sally wise  ;) ).  Great recipe & better to grill than fry.  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amy101

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 01:49:13 pm »
Made this tonight for my family of six, served with Parmesan mash and steamed carrot. Kids all ate it up and asked for more  Managed to add a few extra Vegies  to the gravy without  the kids noticing too! Bonus.  I'm totally in love with my Thermomix. ;D

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:51:09 am »
Delicious and quick meal pennywise - served with steamed carrot and broccoli.  I brown the meatballs on stove top after light spraying with ricebran oil.  Thank you for the posting - the time saved after arriving home late from work was a blessing!!  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:13 am »
forgot to add that we have no leftovers - 2 adukts and 3 kids aged  7, 4 &2!
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 08:31:11 pm »
we had this the other night with brons garlic rice and supposed to have vegies with but ended up not having them as they werent at all cooked in the time and it was already late so it was the meatballs, sauce and the rice...still quite nice...nothing exceptional but quite nice meatballs...i cooked mine in the basket and also in the top varoma tray...next time i would cook the vegies a good 10 minutes before adding the meat.  I cooked brons rice just before and put it in the equivalent of the thermoserv..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline rainbow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 12:30:21 pm »
We tried this recipe tonight and I cooked the meatballs in the basket, not varoma, the family enjoyed it, served with couscous and steamed vegies on the stove but all felt it needed more sauce, will do again adding more stock and cream to create a sauce.   :)

Offline Traydon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 03:53:19 am »
Going to give this one a go right now but as I am new to TMX I have a little question, hope I don't sound too dumb asking it, is the basket mentioned above the one that I used for rice the other day, sits inside the bowl??? Actually feel kinda dumb writing this question so forgive me....

cheers

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 03:55:52 am »
No question is dumb around here Traydon, yes it is that basket.  You can stick anything in there to steam as well as using the varoma dish and tray.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.