Author Topic: Swedish meatballs - Meat on the Menu Cookbook  (Read 26257 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Swedish meatballs - Meat on the Menu Cookbook
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 05:00:14 am »
I hope not Cate. Mine sometimes makes a slight noise at speed 4 but that's all. When you cooked your meatballs did you have the temperature at Varoma? Also when you moved them around did you re press the varoma button? Otherwise ,sorry can't help.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CateCanCook

• View Profile
    • Cate Can Cook
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 10:23:01 am »
Yes, had the temperature at Varoma.  No I didn't re press varoma after moving them around - perhaps that's the problem.  Today I made "Sausages" tried to make sure that I didn't have all the steam vents covered - still some were more cooked than others.  Sausages were a "failure - I really think they need "fat" to work  :(  All trial and error!!!!
Cate - come visit me at .....

www.catecancook.blogspot.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 03:55:56 am »
That could be why then.

This is my favourite Sausage Recipe at the moment. I buy the Angus sausages from Coles. My tip when doing this is to lay out half the sossies side by side but leaving a gap between each, and then lay the other half on top - sort of criss cross, and makes a better of use of the air space in the bottom Varoma dish.

I also did this in a fashion on a Spiced Chicken and Sweet Potato recipe ie. laid out the potato leaving gaps in between and then draped the chicken over the top.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 04:40:42 am »
Thanks CP - up there for thinking.  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 01:06:45 pm »
We had this for dinner tonight and my kids devoured it.  I chickened out and cooked the meatballs in the oven on baking paper partly because my baby was asleep and with the other two kids here too I wanted to get as much preparation done as I could early.  Well I pulled them out of the oven (I did a double batch of meatballs and single batch of sauce and had to cook two batches of meatballs in the oven) and my 4yo and 6yo tried one and then another and then another .......... Then they kept re-appearing in the kitchen pinching them.  They couldn't stop eating them !  I had to hide them or there wouldn't have been any left for dinner.  So I think that's a pretty good indication that they were pretty much a hit ! When we did have dinner we had them with mash potato and veges.  Will definately become a regular here !  Glad to have read about the dill being essential, otherwise I probably would have ommitted / replaced but it definately makes the dish. 

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2011, 06:25:23 am »
We love this meal - nobody minds the steamed meatball - can't even notice with sauce over the top.  ;) It's on page 15 (this is a note to myself, as I have trouble finding it in a hurry)  :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:28:19 am by Nay-nay »

Offline paperfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 03:11:02 pm »
I just made these for dinner tonight and I must say, I was so mighty impressed at how good they tasted and how they were so like the real Ikea meatballs.

What I did differently though:
I followed the ingredients list as per the MOTM book, complete with dill, but did half pork and half mince.
I didn't steam them, but baked them instead (I only do this when I am in a hurry, as I can then cook the mash potato and steam veg in the thermie while the balls are baking in the over).
I then made this sauce on the stove (but would  be better done in the thermie) http://en.christinesrecipes.com/2011/02/swedish-meatballs-with-cream-sauce-ikea.html which is such an awesome sauce recipe, that tastes just like real Ikea swedish meatball sauce. I used one teaspoon of kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) and one teaspoon of dark soy sauce. NICE sauce and perfect with the meatballs.
I also served with the Ikea Lingonberry ?? jam, which tops it all off.

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 07:42:59 am »
I want to try this tonight, I have lots of herbs in the garden but NO dill.  I dont think I have even tasted it, can anyone suggest another herb that may be similar?  or is it worth a trip to the shops rather than omit it?

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 09:40:02 am »
Not sure if this is too late GHM, but I definately wouldn't substitute.  The Dill is the key for the flavour (otherwise they wouldn't taste like Ikea meat balls).

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
Re: Re: Swedish meatballs - Meat on the Menu Cookbook
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 03:03:01 pm »
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4632
Thought I'd make this one instead, very bland will probably try again with some more spices. Not sure if I would bother with browning the meatballs  under grill then putting meatballs back into basket, I already had used baking tray so may as well leave them in the oven. Kids impressed. DD came in from work and said are these from Ikea!

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2012, 03:59:29 am »
Hi I don't have the MOTM book but from this thread a gather that dill is a key ingredient for these meatballs. I went and got a dill plant yesterday! I am going to try to make again as I have some mince to use.  Can anyone tell me how much dill I use or if anyone is wiling to PM me the recipe I would be very grateful. 

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2012, 12:09:57 pm »
GHM, if you PM me your email address I will scan it and email it to you.

Debbie

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2012, 03:09:51 pm »
GHM, if you PM me your email address I will scan it and email it to you.

Debbie

hi Debbie thanks for your kind offer I will send you PM when I work out how to!!!

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 02:44:03 pm »
Lol, did you receive my email ?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 03:27:28 pm »
I have written down a tip to maybe double the meatball mix
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand