Author Topic: What are you cooking today?  (Read 8926895 times)

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: What are you cooking today?
« Reply #30780 on: August 19, 2017, 12:39:50 am »
The Cauliflower, chicken veggie soup was like a meal with all the veggies that I added. DD dropped in for Dinner and she ate the remaining portion.
I also made an Indian inspired soup and sent this home with DD.
 Today I am making a Pork dish from RecipeTinEats mums recipe.
Yesterday I had a sorting out of all my Asian sauces and have so many that we will be having quite a few Asian meals next week.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #30781 on: August 20, 2017, 10:07:25 am »
A Mexican tortilla bake, smoky kidney bean soup, roasted potatoes, roast veg frittata.  I have a suspicion there was something else, but can't remember so I think that's all for today.

There's a story behind the tortilla bake (which turned out to be really nice in the end, despite everything).  The recipe called for 3 cups of salsa so I decided to be lazy and purchased a couple of bottles from the supermarket instead of making some.  Came the time to add the salsa I couldn't get the lid off the jar.  I tried everything I could think of, but to no avail.  I have a bottle opening 'device' which I use to help me open stubborn jars so I grabbed that, but still no luck getting the lid off so, in the end (after about 10 minutes) I turned the jar on its side and gave the handle of the 'device' a good thump and that did it - salsa on the bench top, in the sink, on the wall, down the front of the cupboards and onto the floor!  I really needed to open the second jar as well but after that performance I decided the dish could survive without it's full measure of salsa!  I think next time I will make my own salsa, or at least wait until DH is home with me so I can get him to open the jar.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30782 on: August 20, 2017, 11:50:17 am »
LOL Marina, what a mess to clean up. I recently cleaned out the pantry and threw out all the old jams, chutneys etc.  I like to recycle the jars but I also couldn't budge the lids so I had to throw the whole lot in the bin.  Is it us getting weaker perhaps? 

Looking at the inventory on the freezer I took out couscous, cooked chicken, a curry sauce and some zucchini tots.  Steamed some veggies and added it to the chicken and curry sauce - it feels so good to remove 4 packets of something in one go.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 01:14:48 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30783 on: August 20, 2017, 12:59:30 pm »
Oh Marina, you poor thing.
I'm sort of looking forward to making some bread on Tuesday. We had polystyrene bread for lunch today, we toasted it but it didn't help.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30784 on: August 20, 2017, 03:54:28 pm »
Oh Marina what a mess you had to clean up.No wonder you didn't open the second jar  ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #30785 on: August 20, 2017, 10:06:04 pm »
Marina, I also feel for you. What a mess. I also have trouble opening jars. I pour boiling water over the lid, tap it all round and then get a sturdy knife under the lid in several places and gently ease the lid away from the jar. Then I hand it to Ral and he has no trouble.  ;D
Making 2 loaves of SD bread today. One for a neighbour who has digestive problems.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #30786 on: August 20, 2017, 11:58:59 pm »
Eeeww Marina. Hate cleaning up tomatoey messes. Those salsa jars are tricky because they are too big too hold while you use the jar opener thingy.
 Today will be bread in the slow cooker, more lemon butter and will probably be One pot Penne Bolognese.
The neighbour has given me some cumquats. He says that they pickle them to make tasty snacks rich in vitamin C. Might have to give that a go since the DD is low on iron and apparently eating iron rich food with vitamin C increases absorbency. Anybody else pickled cumquats?
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #30787 on: August 21, 2017, 12:07:35 am »
I'm another one who has trouble opening jars and have a jar opening thingy.  I often have trouble even using that.

Today I am making Spaghetti Bolognaise Sauce for dinner tonight.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Online achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #30788 on: August 21, 2017, 02:41:02 am »
Have soaked Cumquat in Brandy. I'm sure your DD would love those. Saw a recipe recently for pickled Cumquat. Sorry can't remember where.
Made loaf , cold start. Things are so cold here it took an extra 10 minutes.

Have made SD mix and will rise all day before I cook it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #30789 on: August 21, 2017, 05:24:47 am »
Oh no Marina....what a mess  ??? You poor thing
My DH has terrible arthritis, so around here its HIM handing the jars to ME to open  ;)
Not always easy  >:(

Today I've used my TMs a lot:
Hard boiled eggs
choc chip cookies
cranberry and white choc cookies
bread rolls
GF DF 100s&1000s tiny teddies
Raspberry and white choc muffins
and.....
lamb formula  ;D

Seem to be having trouble posting pics ATM  >:( >:(
:D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #30790 on: August 21, 2017, 09:46:17 am »
Marina, I also feel for you. What a mess. I also have trouble opening jars. I pour boiling water over the lid, tap it all round and then get a sturdy knife under the lid in several places and gently ease the lid away from the jar. Then I hand it to Ral and he has no trouble.  ;D
Making 2 loaves of SD bread today. One for a neighbour who has digestive problems.
Yes, my DH comes in handy for jar opening as well.  He wasn't with me at the time, but when I spoke to him later he suggested thumping a hole through the lid and that would release the pressure (he didn't deign to mention how I would go about this, though - maybe I should "borrow" his electric drill next time!).  I tried the boiling water thing and that didn't work, hadn't thought of running a knife under the lid.

What a busy day you've had astarra - should you need a little assistance with the eating of your sweet things please feel free to give me a call ... at any time!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30791 on: August 21, 2017, 12:28:50 pm »
Chookie I think you had loosened the jar so that Ral could open it.

Another trick after putting hot water over the lid is to dry it and place an elastic band round the rim. You can get a better grip on it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30792 on: August 21, 2017, 03:41:20 pm »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #30793 on: August 21, 2017, 11:54:23 pm »
That's a busy day of cooking Astarra.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30794 on: August 22, 2017, 12:52:21 am »
A good stock up of snacks there astarra.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.