Author Topic: Washing Machine Powder  (Read 152495 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Washing Machine Powder
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 06:35:28 am »
Actually... I asked the guy in the cleaning aisle and we went on the walk together  ;D And he couldn't even find it that time!!

He should have asked the ladies at the service desk  ;D ;D ;D

Yep see, he couldn't find it with you Rowyfo cause he was MALE!! Should always ask the LADIES on the service desk lol  :o :o ;) ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 01:45:49 pm »
wow that is a serious container of washing powder Ali :) LOL

LOL  it may look like it Meagan  ;) but it's not one of those big decor ones with handles - It's a smaller one (I think about 2 ltrs).  I actually grabbed a 3 pack of these from Bunnings when I got the Borax.  Although.... the amount I have to wash in this house, the big one might be an idea  ;D ;D

You know when you head to that place that you are going to get your weeks worth of exercise walking around trying to find the thing you want - and come back with a handful of things you didn't know you needed. ;D.
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 02:20:02 pm »
Hah yeah - I can walk to Bunnings, but I can't walk home again without, say, a mule or some Sherpas... :D
Row

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 04:00:36 am »
Hah yeah - I can walk to Bunnings, but I can't walk home again without, say, a mule or some Sherpas... :D

Just steal one of their trolleys like everyone else.   :o  ;) ;) ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 03:42:44 pm »
Am on to my third batch, and I think so far this is just as good as commercial washing powder. There was heaps of borax, and washing soda left over from the last lot. When I ran out of Velvet soap, i tried the Coles brand pure soap. (It looks and smells like
Velvet soap but is half the price). Towels are soft and fluffy, and everything seems to be washing beautifully. I think I may never buy commercial washing detergent again, as it is so quick, unbelievably economical and satisfying to produce. Thank you  ;D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 05:22:18 am »
This may have already been asked. Has anyone used it in a front loader and if so how much please?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 06:21:15 am »
using it in my front loader now Cookie....umm a small scoop lol. Have to put a load on a bit later so will perhaps find another way to measure it to give you an idea  :)

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 01:12:43 pm »
As many of you know, my DH is a clown & this even gets the grease paint off his costumes.  It's B^#$y brilliant!!!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 06:45:04 pm »
This sounds like something I'm definitely going to try.  Does anyone know how whites get on with it? ie does it remove 'ring around the collar' on white shirts, and do the whites stay white, or gradually turn grey?  That has always been my problem with homemade laundry detergents in the past.  I'm just wondering whether I should avoid this with whites and just use it with my darks and colours, or whether this recipe overcomes the problem??
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 11:22:45 am »
From what I know the washing soda should keep everything bright including the whites 

found this

In laundry, washing soda accomplishes several things. The high alkalinity of washing soda helps it act as a solvent to remove a range of stains, and unlike bleach, washing soda does not usually stain. It is also used in detergent mixtures to treat hard water; the washing soda binds to the minerals which make water hard, allowing detergent to foam properly so that clothing will come out clean, without any residue. Sodium carbonate is also used by some textile artists, since it helps dyes adhere to fabric, resulting in deeper penetration and a longer lasting color

on here http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-washing-soda.htm

Offline Thermo convert

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 11:14:26 pm »
Can anyone tell me how the powder goes using cold water.  We use underground water which is quite hard.  I seem to have trouble getting stains out using cold water but mother in law seems to have no trouble by using warm (hot).

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 11:36:26 pm »
I might have to give this a go.  I stopped using the goo because my clothes started to look dull after a few weeks of using it, but it sounds like this shouldn't happen with the powder.  :)

Offline Rowyfo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2009, 01:10:46 am »
I am almost out of goo :) I wanted to know, has anyone added anything to this such as frangrance and how did that go? I suppose I could add my grated, fragrant soap... Lord knows I am getting heaps of that!!
Row

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2009, 04:23:08 am »
I wouldn't waste good soap on washing clothes. You could always tuck it in amongst your clothes in the drawer to make them smell nice. I personally like the idea of using the pure soap in the washing anyway, as I don't think that it has the laurasulphates/nasties (?) in it - I could be wrong there tho.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2009, 12:30:04 pm »
Can anyone tell me how the powder goes using cold water.  We use underground water which is quite hard.  I seem to have trouble getting stains out using cold water but mother in law seems to have no trouble by using warm (hot).

Tc - I have used the powder in cold and warm water and it seems to work well in both - I think the washing soda/lectric soda acts to soften "hard" water (can't remember where I read this, maybe on the packet?- yes it was, I just went and checked - it also mentions it's a good grease remover and keeps colours bright ;D). 
Anyway - the ingredients are relatively inexpensive and it makes a fair bit, so worth giving it a go. 
Rowyfo - I think I'll try dropping a few drops of essential oil in the next batch when blitzing to add more fragrance.
I'm a fan of this and will definitely keep using it  ;D.
Ali
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!