Author Topic: Garam Masala Powder  (Read 8305 times)

Offline Winn

• View Profile
Garam Masala Powder
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:23:55 pm »
I  had finished using bought Garam Masala so made it fresh from page 22 of  F&E Indian Cooking.  

Have stored it as advised, but, I have no idea how long it will keep, could anyone please advise?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:53:35 am by judydawn »

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Garam Masala Powder
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 06:55:52 pm »
I sometimes make my various masala mixtures in very small amounts and use them within no more than a month.

Some spices seem to affect the flavor of other spices, masking some of the more subtle flavors, if mixed together and stored for longer than that time.

Mostly I mix the spices immediately prior to use or rather I measure them out and add them to a little oil to "bloom" one at a time.

I haven't bought commercial mixtures for decades and I usually grind my spices shortly prior to use.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:53:54 am by judydawn »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:29:40 pm »
Andie, would it be an imposition to ask for your various garam masala recipes - evan a gentle hint would be great?  I generally just toss in spices I like when asked for g.m so I am sure I am missing out on a lot of subtleties.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:54:20 am by judydawn »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:50:59 am »
I have a sort of basic list of spices but no set recipe.  That is, I do have a lot of "recipes" per se but rarely stick to them precisely.
There are several masala recipes - that just means "mixture" or "spice mixture"  and they change from region to region in India.

I've use the basic recipe from Madhur Jaffrey for many years  but I also have other cookbooks, one that I have used a great deal since I got it a few years ago is  660 Curries which gives some explanation of WHY certain spices are used and when to add them to a dish.

Here's a link to one of my favorite recipes:  Kadai Paneer
to give you an idea of how I use the individual spices as they are often used in India, instead of a ready-made spice mixture.

I make my own paneer, it is very easy and totally worth the effort:  Demo here.

Later I will go through my various masala recipes and list the spices and the process.  Some are toasted first and I never keep them very long so they are in small batches.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:54:37 am by judydawn »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Winn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:59:15 pm »
Thankyou, Andiesenji, for your very informative reply.  I am most impressed with the site  you recommended  (have put into my favourites).  Will be trying paneer in the very near future now I know how to make it.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:54:54 am by judydawn »

Offline Helcat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 12:52:32 am »
In reply to storing the ground spices.  I keep mine in the freezer.  I make large batches and I find keeping them in the freezer prolongs their punch.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:55:09 am by judydawn »