Author Topic: Red Curry and Penang Curry Paste  (Read 12784 times)

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
Red Curry and Penang Curry Paste
« on: November 14, 2010, 05:31:54 am »
Red Curry & Penang Curry Paste

I received this recipe at a Thai cooking class with an awesome lady named Pum - she has a beautiful restaurant in Phuket - my favourite!!! This is my very first post, so I hope you all enjoy this as much as I do:

Red Curry Paste
Makes a 250ml jar of paste

Ingredients
20 red chillies
2cm of galangal
5cm piece of lemongrass
3 kaffir lime leaves - the centre vein removed
4 cloves garlic
3 Thai shallots
1 tsp of salt
2 Tablespoons chili oil

Turn on to speed 5 and place in garlic, shallots and galangal onto rotating blades for 10seconds.
Turn machine off.
Add the rest of the ingredients except the oil, and turbo blitz about 3 or 4 times.
You will need to continue to scrape down the bowl and repeat the turbo step around 3 times - beware of the chili fumes when you open the lid  ;)
Add the chili oil and stir on speed 4 for 10 seconds until combined
Increase speed to 10 and scrape down again.

Its personal preference as to how liquid you would like it. I just keep scraping down until it looks good. It doesn't matter if you have a more chunky style paste, as it makes no impact on the dish you are cooking.

Penang Curry Paste
To make this into a penang curry paste, you need to add 3 Tablespoons of ground peanuts. To do this, you need to dry roast the raw unsalted peanuts first, and when cool turbo blitz them until it looks like almond meal.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
Re: Red Curry and Penang Curry Paste
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:16:45 am »
aww that looks so yummy! Another on for the hampers! ;)  Is galangal, ginger?? If not can it be substituted for it?? Also, a Thai shallot, could I sub that for garlic or is it more onion??  :-[  :-)) I know it sounds like I'm going to totally wreck your recipe but I don't live close to anywhere that would stock these and i know my kids music teacher would love this as and end of year pressy.

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:41:57 am »
Hi Nay Nay,

Galangal is like a thai ginger - and is probably a good substitute. Not sure where you live, but asian supermarkets have it, and so do good fruit and veg shops. Otherwise you can buy it in coles in a jar minced. Its usually with the thai curry pastes. As for a thai shallot, it looks like a baby spanish onion. I would not use garlic, perhaps try a spanish onion, but half it? Not sure.

Maybe someone can post you some - where do you live?

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:39:29 am »
Thanks sounds lovely.

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:45:31 am »
I live in the middle of no where - whoop whoop- LOL  :D- Yarraman - I hardly go shopping anywhere else but am visiting Toowoomba tomorrow for a Cyndi o'meara demo so will look for some there. thanks  ;)

Offline mel81q

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:50:50 am »
Hi Nay-Nay,

How did you go with your cooking class and subsequent ingredient shopping?

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 03:40:29 am »
Thanks for the recipe!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:28:57 am »
Hi Nay-Nay,
How did you go with your cooking class and subsequent ingredient shopping?
Hmmm I didn't get to bed til 1am!! and I'm still getting over it! Can't believe how long it takes to bounce back these days!!  :'(  But it was great hearing Cyndi talk. And I got to catch up with 9 of my customers.  ;)