Author Topic: Dry salad dressing mix for campers, backpackers, etc.  (Read 7924 times)

vivacity

Dry salad dressing mix for campers, backpackers, etc.
« on: June 14, 2009, 11:40:09 am »
Source: www.wunderkessel.de
Contributor: Schubie

Ingredients:

60g salt (sea salt, coarse or fine...)
5g black peppercorns
20g yellow mustard seeds
15-25g citric or ascorbic acid
25g dried salad herbs

Before you prepare this mix, make sure that your TM bowl is completely dry.

Preparation:

1. Add salt, peppercorns and yellow mustard seeds to  *: and grind 30s/speed 10. Push down mix with the spatula while grinding.
2. Add citric or ascorbic acid along with the dried herbs and stir 15s/ :-:/speed 3.

How to use:

Add a tbsp of this mix to yoghurt or sour cream for a quick salad sauce or dip. Mix with water and oil for a clear vinaigrette. You don't need to add vinegar, because the citric/ascorbic acid makes the sauce sour.

Why use this?

In Germany we can buy these little salad mix sachets from Knorr or Maggi, which you just mix with yoghurt or oil with water. Schubie, the contributor of this recipe, uses this dry salad mix when she's out on her boat, so that she can make a quick salad without taking loads of other ingredients with her. Some forum members found 25g of citric acid too sour, one said that 15g is definitely enough, so it's really a question of personal taste how much you add.

One forum member suggested adding dried tomatoes to the mix which could be good.

I just made double the quantity of salad dressing mix and used spice mix for tomato and rice dishes which contains the following dried ingredients: paprika, tomatoes, onions, peas, garlic, carrots, parsley, chilli and pepper. I'll try the mix out on a salad this evening, but I will say now that I think 15g of citric acid is enough for the slightly sour note that you need to replace the vinegar.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 12:26:21 pm by vivacity »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Dry salad dressing mix for campers, backpackers, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:59:13 am »
fantastic! thank you! dh and i were just talking today about when we'd go camping again :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

vivacity

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 12:28:59 pm »
When I saw the recipe I thought exactly the same. We can pack a small packet of this with a tiny bottle of oil and make salad dressing for our lunch with fresh vegetables from the market when we take a break from wandering around the Hungarian countryside in summer. It sounds really practical.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:04:23 pm »
Thanks vivacity.  Is the citric acid to give an acid kick or for preservation?? 

If you wanted to, sumac will give an acid it and a bit of variety, but if the citric acid is to preserve, then forget it.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

vivacity

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 02:32:40 pm »
It's not easy to find sumac where I live. The citric acid is used to replace the vinegar that you'd usually use for your salad dressing. I think the salt would preserve it enough.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 02:51:41 pm »
Thanks - undesrtand now - the vinegar is something you won't have to carry  :-)) :-)) 

Sloooooowwww, but I get there in the end !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.