Author Topic: Thermomix Butter - photos  (Read 138785 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thermomix Butter - photos
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 03:07:17 am »
Can you write to the manufacturer Caroline and ask them what has changed?   I'd be inclined to tell them what is happening and they may be kind enough to give you an answer and suggest which butter to use in future.  It would be a shame to give up your butter making prowess.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 02:43:39 pm »
Could someone please tell me how many grams of butter 500ml of cream would make? Does 500ml of cream = 500g? I've been assuming that it does  :P

With all the extra baking I've been doing since I got the TM, we've been going through 1kg a week  :o

Just made more butter and THIS time I remembered to check and weigh how much you get for how much lol

I used 900 ml of cream which made 500g of butter and gave me 500ml of buttermilk to bake with :)

Hope this helps
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2009, 04:35:09 pm »
If you are lucky enough to get cream reduced priced (considerably cheaper  :P) by your supermarket as it nears it best date you can freeze the cream, (if you don't have time to make butter straight away...often happens in my house  :o) defrost it in the fridge and it will still whip perfectly to make butter - I tried my first lots of frozen cream tonight and they all worked perfectly. Takes the pressure off a little  ;)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 02:10:49 am »
Thanks for the tips and conversion rates.  Great if you can scoop up lots of cheap butter and not have to rush home to make the butter.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 10:47:31 am »
I have seen a recipe somewhere that converts butter back into whipped cream, in an emergency! Has anyone heard of that? Could be interesting!  ;) ;)
Amanda

Spain

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 01:43:11 pm »
i think that recipe bron is on the uk thermomix website

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 04:54:06 pm »
Yes, but has anyone tried it yet? Come on Thermomixer?
Amanda

Spain

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 04:58:54 am »
karen - Sorry I didn't see this sooner - my food wholesaler is in my local town...very long way from Canberra ;)

I made butter today, and am wondering if anyone has tips on how to get the water out of the butter easily after you've washed it? I'm sort of massaging it with a spatula in a bowl (after making a mess doing it in the basket, didn't think of the holes  :-))) but there's got to be an easier way?

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 07:19:43 am »
I would also like to know if there is an easy way to get the water out as I make butter most weeks and still have trouble.

I now wash my butter 3 times so the water is virtually clear - I read somewhere that the butter will last better if all the buttermilk is washed out. Then I squash, squash, squash with a wooden spoon in a glass bowl till my wrists are ready to drop off, pat, pat pat with a wooden scraper on a wooden cutting board (water spraying out onto anything too close and me hoping that the wood will absorb the rest of the water!) and then I still find that water sprays out as I scrape a knife across it!  :'(
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 07:33:14 am »
hmmm i've only ever done what the book says and never had a problem (have only made it twice though lol)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2009, 03:41:06 pm »
Went looking for tips:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diy-butter-yogurt-kefir-tempeh/

Place butter in a large jar and shake to remove any excess water.

http://ecobites.com/diy-recycling-projects/787-diy-butter-churn

To remove the remaining buttermilk from the butter, use a butter paddle or a
spatular to work the butter back and fourth on the sides of the bowl.

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/diy-recipe/recipe-diy-butter-019990

When the water runs completely clear squeeze the butter inside a clean paper towel or cheesecloth until dry

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2009, 07:36:40 am »
Bought this thread up to read before attempting to make butter for the first time.  Got the recipe book out and buggar, it says not to use thickened cream.  Guess what I bought :P :P :P :P

Offline Intrepidtrier

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2009, 08:59:04 am »
Judydawn I also bought the thickened cream and still used it and it turned out ok.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2009, 09:18:38 am »
Handy to know...I thought it had something added to make it thick that stopped it from churning to butter. Will give it a go next time I see it out cheap  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 10:53:11 am »
Yay just made my first lot of butter. Thanks Intrepidtrier for letting me know you used thickened cream successfully. When it said to blend for 1 - 3 minutes to separate, I wondered how I would know when it had separated but of course, the sound is different and if you take a peek through the MC, you get splashed with buttermilk ;D ;D ;D ;D  I rinsed mine 3 times like Hannah said to do but didn't bother slapping it around to get every last drop of buttermilk out.  Tell me, can the bit of buttermilk be frozen until I have enough to do some scones or bread?  Another question, the ECB says this will last 2 weeks (I'm sure I will use it before then though) but what happens if you buy cream which is almost out of date - the fridge life surely can't be extended just because it has been turned into butter.  It gets frozen then - right?