Author Topic: Thermochef...  (Read 108716 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thermochef...
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2011, 06:16:03 am »
That showroom is amazing. It would be lovely to have one in each capital city. I would have had my TMX 6 months earlier if it hadn't been for the way they are sold.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 07, 2011, 06:42:57 am »
 I don't know what it's track record will be like, we'll just have to wait and see, but as I couldn't afford a Thermomix, this is a great option for me.  It looks well built and sturdy and has got me enjoying cooking again.  

......and that's what is really fantastic Nola....a new concept of cooking really does bring back enthusiasm....regardless of the brand.  BTW, your paintings are fabulous!......clever cookie!
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #167 on: December 07, 2011, 08:08:40 am »
Thank you so much for your wonderful compliment Maddy. ;D
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

stacelee

« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2011, 01:07:55 am »
I now have all three units, the thermomix, thermochef and kenwood cooking chef sitting side by side on my bench.

I used the thermochef for the first time yesterday to make "dirt puddings" for my teenagers. (For those who dont know...dirt puddings are layers of chocolate custard, cream mixed with sour cream and sugar, and crushed oreos).

My initial impression of the thermochef was very positive.  As part of the recipe you have to mill sugar to icing sugar.....it did not end up quite as fine as when I did it with the thermomix....but it may have needed a little longer....but it was definately acceptable.  Cooking the chocolate custard was exactly the same as when I made it in the thermomix.  With both machines, you end up with a little cooked to the bottom of the jug.  I actually found it a little easier to clean it off than the thermomix jug.

Whipping the cream and sour cream mix was nearly a disaster, but was partially self inflicted.  The butterfly attachment is not as easy to fit as the thermomix, but if I had remembered to fit it BEFORE dumping ingredients into the jug, it might not have fallen off.  Luckily I had it running on a slow speed so it only has a couple of little chunks taken out of if.  I will check next time before using it.  It seemed to work just as well as the TM31.

I can't pass judgement on crushing the oreos because they were done in the TM31 as I forgot to do them first.  Having the two jugs for the thermochef was handy as I could make the custard and then whip the cream without having to wash and dry the jugs in between. 

Washing the jug was the same process as for the TM31....dump hot water and detergent in it, put it on high speed for 20 seconds, rinse and repeat.  The "stuck" custard came off easily with the help of a mild scouring pad....it was probably a little easier than the TM31 as the base of the jug has a slight ridge that the blade sits on which made it easier to scrub without removing the blade.  The jug itself could not go in the dishwasher, but the lid, measuring cup and blades could.

At this point it would be very hard to pick between the two "thermos".  The jug on the "chef" feels a little less robust, but I prefer the design of the jug.  I certainly didn't end up with as much "drippy" mess when I removed the lid.  The lid is harder to lock on...but when I first got the TM31 it was very stiff to, so this might be something that rectifies over time....it was easier to get on once it was damp.  Putting the blades back into the jug was a challenge for me as I have long nails, but using a spoon instead of my fingers to move the blade retainer solved that problem.

Will play with both a bit more over the weekend and see how they compare...my next task is to make bread with them.

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2011, 01:15:41 am »
Staceelee,  You really do have to fit the butterfly while the jug is empty.  Been there done that.  You will find a difference with your bread making.  You should only knead approx 250 grms at a time with the "Chef".  Having said that, it only takes a moment longer to get a full batch of dough, so no problemo.
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2011, 12:14:55 pm »
i am really think about buying a TC instead  of an other tm bowl. to date i have not hade the need of an extra bowl , i know the day will come very soon  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2011, 12:53:28 pm »
i am really think about buying a TC instead  of an other tm bowl. to date i have not hade the need of an extra bowl , i know the day will come very soon  ;D

If you get a bowl with the next promo it would be much cheaper than a thermochef!
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2011, 07:59:42 am »

Fundj, I didn't think I'd use my second bowl much, but I've only had it since Monday, and it is getting a regular workout! Mind you, I can see I would make use of a second machine, either TMX or TC, if I had it too.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »
I had the option of getting another bowl and blade set with a demo I had a while ago and decided I didn't need it. BIG mistake. It's handy when you're cooking in one bowl and need to grind or grate an ingredient. I could have definitely used it recently when I catered for our Book Club Xmas meeting.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2011, 01:10:28 pm »
MJ, that's what happened to my friend last year; this year, she bought one in april and in october and has told our consultant to let her know when the next time it's offered because she wants to get another bowl! she said she saw a chef on you tube with three bowls lined up and figured that it wasn't a bad idea. she's really keen.

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2011, 09:44:56 am »
Thanks for that review Stacelee. Looking forward to the next instalment!
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2011, 10:38:17 am »
My DH bought me a second jug last year and even though I have not used it much I am very happy it is there when I have needed it if you get the drift.

Gretch
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2011, 10:56:06 am »
It has been mentioned that the TC does not knead bread as successfully as the TMX.  Many of the Bread recipes on the forum have been developed for the TMX in particular.  I under stand that the TC does not have a reverse function.  With the TMX,  part of the kneading is in reverse and this is part of the process that proves to be successful in developing the gluten.

TC owners will have to develop a technique that suits their machine.  Nola has already done this ,  but a look at Dan Lephard's method may also assist.