Author Topic: help with using a dual convection / microwave oven  (Read 5985 times)

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
help with using a dual convection / microwave oven
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:47:02 pm »
Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dual function convection/microwave ovens?  We are without a proper kitchen for many months while renovating, and have set up a makeshsift kitchen - with my TMX as the star performer!  But I love to bake bicuits and cakes and breads, and didnt think I could do without an oven for up to 12 months - so I bought a convection/microwave oven.  I have only baked one batch of muffins and one cake (isi's easy fruit crumble cake) in it, and neither of them cooked properly in the middle.  It seems to cook roasts, casseroles etc OK - but I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, or if the oven just doesnt bake very well.  My husband made a batch of gingerbread biscuits in it, and it worked fine for them, but my muffins and cake came out all gluggy and sticky in the middle, even though I cooked them for 20 mins longer than the recipe said.  Any ideas??
Karen
Karen in Adelaide

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
Re: help with using a dual convection / microwave oven
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:27:23 am »
I have one, in fact I'm on my second one as the original one we got when we got married was far too big for the spot allocated when we did the kitchen renovation. I thought that one was fantastic. Big and roomy! The one we currently have is a Baumatic and while I use it in preference to the main oven, I can't put too much in there - a cake or some rolls, casseroles, pizzas etc. I don't have problem with the cooking time though, although some things I do have to cook for 5-10 mins longer.

I found it (well our first one) invaluable when we were also without a kitchen, or much of a house, when we owner-built our extension, and I had a newborn who screamed because of colic for 6months :o

Don't know how much help I've been, but just wanted to say they do work. My mum has also always had one and now it is her only oven as the main one doesn't heat well. Perhaps it is the actual microwave, or the brand????

Lisa

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:12:07 am »
I have one too and was the only oven I had for a while when my old one needed replacing. I still use it today after I have a new oven if I am having a real bake off and I need a different temp for something so I can get it done. You will only be able to put one tray of biscuits in it at a time or one cake tin - but much better than nothing!! I have a Sharp Carousel Double Grill Convection.

Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:56:58 pm »
Thanks for your advice - it looks like it might be my oven, or else something I am doing.  The 2 recipes I have tried so far are both new recipes (I love trying out new things!!), so I might play around with baking a few tried and true recipes that I know I can do, and see how they go in the new oven

Otherwise I might just have to get used to the idea of 12 months without baking cakes - my thighs will love me  :P
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 11:35:27 pm »
KJH. You could always steam puddings in the varoma if worst comes to worst  :P
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Deeau

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:30:04 am »
I have a Panasonic microwave converction its about 12 years old, I use it as my prefered oven for cakes and biscuits ( I also have a wood oven, gas oven and a tiny turbo oven ! they are all great at different things and different times of year. ) But I only use convection for cooking cakes, it performs perfectly like any fan forced oven...are you cooking biscuits on micro/covnection or just convection? I love the dual cooking for roasts  and casseroles but think that that with flour type baking the microwave messes things up.