Author Topic: Meatballs in Tomato Sauce (Varoma)  (Read 55794 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Meatballs in Tomato Sauce (Varoma)
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 11:04:49 am »
I freeze them after I have marinated them. I also make the ones with tofu (sometimes I use feta instead) and freeze them before cooking as well

there is no such thing as dumb questions on this forum either  ;) just for your information even though we do all say we are asking them from time to time lol  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 11:29:17 am »
heheh I'm very much an uninspired cook (for now)... I cook from recipes but I'm trying to get a bit more adventurous ... having to work out balances is interesting I guess! lol  I just don't want to make anyone sick in the process!!!

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 02:04:51 pm »
oh!  I mean to ask whether I really had to double up the marinade to do more meatballs?  I'm looking at doing 1.5kg but don't really want to use that many eggs lol

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2009, 03:23:53 am »
Anyone? :) I don't have that many eggs lol

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 05:57:05 am »
You should be able to cut down on the eggs for the marinade - I'd try 3 for the 1.5kg - thay help with the binding of the balls but you could add another if they aren't holding together,
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2009, 07:50:17 am »
TFT :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 10:34:56 am »
Made this tonight for tea, one word - DELICIOUS!  Thoroughly enjoyed this meal, though I must admit when I saw the balls after steaming I wasn't sure how my son would react as they were so white (being used to them being brown from frying off), but when I added them to the tomato sauce in a big bowl and combined them before spooning on  top of the pasta, you really wouldn't have known.

I used a 800g can of chopped roma tomatoes with some baby romas from my garden to make up the 1kg, reduced the sugar to 2 tsp and in the final 15 mins of cooking the sauce, I added some steamed sweet potato that was left over from last night which disintergrated during the cooking and added a nice sweetness to the sauce.  I can imagine adding other veg to this too.  Finished off with some freshly grated parmesan (which had almost melted into the sauce by the time I took the photo).

I got 20 nice sized balls from the mix.

Thankyou so much for a great recipe Bron, has gone straight into my 'kept' recipes.   :-*
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:09:39 am by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 11:29:32 am »
Yes, I think the texture is far superior with steaming -but cover them with sauce before others see them.  MrsT was not impressed the first few times I steamed meatballs and meat.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 01:18:38 pm »
Lol yes but they quickly get used to them. This is the preferred way for my lot now. Maybe it has something to do with the sauce as well, I don't know but they love them with pasta, rice or just veg. It is a real winner in our house.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2009, 11:09:58 am »
Mine love them on the garlic steamed rice, in fact its what they have for dinner tonight! So easy and can all be cooked in advance and heated up the following day! Easy peasy! Glad that you enjoyed them Julie, and the kids too!
Amanda

Spain

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 03:55:11 pm »
I tried this once but no one really took to the Garlic Steam Rice. I don't know whether the cloves that I used where unusually big at the time...so possibly should give it another go. Do remember the meatballs looked rather insipid, but sauce covered beautifully...just the garlic was really overpowering.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2009, 05:07:27 pm »
CP how strange? My kids love the rice, aged 3, 12 & 15! Maybe try it with 2 small cloves only and less EVOO, 20g only.
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2009, 11:58:23 pm »
bron, you have to remember us Aussies are not big on garlic - not into aioli (Lo siento - alioli ) or lots of garlic.  I love it, but forget when I make some dishes fro friends.  :o :o :o
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 12:30:35 am »
bron, you have to remember us Aussies are not big on garlic - not into aioli (Lo siento - alioli ) or lots of garlic.  I love it, but forget when I make some dishes fro friends.  :o :o :o

Waddyamean thermomixer ??? I lurve garlic and everyone I know lurves garlic. Gimme garlic.

Gertbysea
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 12:42:54 am »
I love Bron's garlic rice - cook it 9 times out of 10 these days for any rice I need.  My spinach and rice pie tastes so much nicer with this rice than plain old rice.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.