Author Topic: Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free  (Read 26472 times)

Offline chdv

• View Profile
    • Aussie in a Swiss kitchen
Re: Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 11:07:02 am »
I'm also a green smoothie convert! I usually make enough for a glass to drink in the morning and for my 750 ml Thermos. By mid-afternoon I'm dying to have some, and it keeps me going until dinner. I also add seeds, such as chia and linseeds, sometimes hemp seeds. One of my favorite combinations is pineapple, ginger, baby spinach, couple of dates, ice and coconut (coconut oil is great, just add a spoonful).

I have some photos here:

http://dvfood.blogspot.ch/2012/10/green-smoothies.html

I actually haven't been on this board for ages, as life has been too busy. But now I'm trying to write up (a thesis), at home, so when it's not flowing, I'm looking for distractions.......

Cheryl

https://www.facebook.com/cheryldevalliere.thermomix
Cheryl

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 11:12:25 am »
Yes, it has been a while chdv, nice to see you back browsing and commenting.  Your life must be very busy.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline chdv

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 04:59:56 pm »
Yes, it has been a while chdv, nice to see you back browsing and commenting.  Your life must be very busy.
Hi Judydawn, yep, it's pretty hectic (slight understatement, btw). No one should go back and do a PhD at 50... I've just spent 2012 doing experiments that we thought would take a few months to do. Plus, there's been a commute involved. The instruments and one of my advisors are located in Basel, about 50 minutes by car or 1.5 h by train from where I live. But the experiments are more or less done now, and now I should finish writing a couple of papers, and then throw a thesis together. I'll start back at full speed next week, it was great to have a break over Xmas-New Year.

ok... I'm off to make dinner. I saw this link the other day:  http://clevercook.net.au/2012/12/30/miracle-flatbread/, and was inspired to start cooking the pork in the slow cooker this morning, guacamole is done, so now all I need to do is make the tortillas and the salsa.

Cheryl
Cheryl

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 09:06:47 am »
Thanks for the ideas Cheryl :) I've been having this smoothie every day for about a week and I feel great for it. This morning I added about 3 tablespoons of almond meal for good fat and protein and it kept me fuller for longer.

I think I'll try your pineapple & ginger number tomorrow, it sounds yummo.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline chdv

• View Profile
Re: Re: Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 01:55:55 pm »
Hi Jamberi.You're welcome! I've gotten to the point where I have slight withdrawal symptoms if I don't drink at least one green smoothie a day. I love Chia seeds in it, they're a great source of fiber and omega-3.

Cheryl
Cheryl

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 10:47:30 pm »
I had this again this morning and added a good teaspoon of cinnamon. It added just a nice, subtle flavour, and cinnamon has lots of antioxidants so I think I will keep the cinnamon from now on :D

Offline medusa

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 05:52:57 am »
Yummy. I just made this but I only had tinned pineapple (unsweetened) and frozen mixed berries. No pear either. Still yummy.
Medusa, in Oz

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 07:48:15 am »
Yummy. I just made this but I only had tinned pineapple (unsweetened) and frozen mixed berries. No pear either. Still yummy.

What a great idea Medusa. I'll have to try tinned pineapple too, thanks for sharing :)
-I'll also try the cinnamon as Amy suggested :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 07:57:45 am »
I hope you like the cinnamon Jam :D I might start grinding some crio bru granules into mine as well!
Good luck with the tinned pineapple, I tried it once but found it lacked that really "fresh" flavour ;)

Offline Minda

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 09:26:10 pm »
Thanks for all your tips - I will have to try one of these variations.

My first green smoothie effort wasn't particularly successful - I used the "just throw anything in" approach (celery stalks, carrot and apple with some chia seeds and ice) and it turned out to be a very thick fibrous not very tasty mush.....

I couldn't actually drink it!

So perhaps I didnt add enough water or blitz for long enough???

Or I need to add something to aid in the creaminess and texture like banana..... ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:10 pm »
A banana or two would have done the trick Minda ;) What you made sounds more like a juice.

I would definitely suggest trying this recipe or a variation and then you'll get a taste of how yummy a green smoothie can be ;D

Offline Minda

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 10:47:14 pm »
Thanks Amy, yes it was a grainy mushy mess! And not at all appetizing!

I will give the bananas a go... I have some in the freezer.

I have still got an actual juicer and am not ready to chuck it yet like all my other small appliances -

But perhaps when I make some more successful green smoothies I can get rid of it!  ;D

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Green Breakfast Smoothie for Beginners like me! -dairy free
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 10:12:16 am »
Minda, I still follow this recipe fairly closely. When I have made major changes I'm usually not happy (probably because I use too much of a good thing!)

I'd only try one banana to start with...two might be too thick. You can always add more :) I gave my juicer away to make me use all the functions of the tmx...I like the fact that the fibre is kept in the juice, it just takes a slight different approach to the juicer (more ice/water less fruit/veggies). Good luck!

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 08:30:20 am »
So, with a little high cholesterol reading, I am back looking at healthier options for things...had another green smoothie this afternoon and can already feel the LDLs diminishing  :D :D :D

I just thought I'd add to this thread to share the suggestion I found on Pinterest of freezing individual smoothie portions in the freezer to make it easier each morning. I added the pineapple (or orange) and berries and some kale to zip lock bags and put them in the freezer. Altogether I made enough for two weeks. When I get up in the morning all I have to do is peel a banana, empty the zip lock bag of fruit and add some seeds...here's hoping it works :)

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 08:33:41 am »
I used to do that Jam, it works a treat. I also included the banana ;) ;D

Sorry to hear about the cholesterol but glad you seem positive :D :D