Author Topic: Bramley apple shortcake - The British Isles on a plate - page 150  (Read 2591 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
I used Granny Smiths for the apples.  A simple recipe to follow, the worse thing about is was peeling 1.2kg of apples but so worth it  ;D

Everything went to plan except after baking and then cutting into the 8 pieces successfully it was impossible to remove a piece from the pie dish without breaking the shortcake into many pieces, no matter how gently I tried. 

If serving to visitors it would be a fail (for me anyway) if I wanted to serve like a slice of apple pie. I wasn't so it didn’t matter to us at all but thought I would mention it.  I’ve got to say though that it tasted wonderful.  The apples were cooked perfectly and it had the right amount of sweetness, I couldn’t fault it at all.

I’m thinking of having another go in the next 2 weeks because I like to try and get things right.  I want to try making it as a sort of a crumble/cobbler type of dessert.   I won’t put the shortcake on the base just the top and will use the baking dish that you bake the apples in initially. Once the apples are done, I could just put the dough on top and put back in the oven to bake.  This would also cut down on preparation time too.

I think it would be easier cutting the shortcake into sections and lifting off so you could scoop out the apples from underneath into serving bowls and placing a piece of the shortcake on top.

It was lovely served with a scoop of home made vanilla bean ice cream.

I had enough of the shortcake dough left over to roll into 2 balls a bit smaller than golf balls.  I pressed an indent into them and put a tsp of home made strawberry jam in each one and baked in the oven at the same time.  They spread into perfect round, crunchy  biscuits that were lovely with a cuppa. 
I would love to make maybe a half batch of the shortcake dough just to make into these sort of biscuits.  Will report back if and when I do.
Definitely a recipe worth playing with, another keeper from this book.  :D

Linked JD
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:10:44 am by judydawn »

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Bramley apple shortcake - The British Isles on a plate - page 150
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:10:15 pm »
A comprehensive review Julie. It really wants me to make it now. I look forward to your future review after you have tweaked the recipe. ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Bramley apple shortcake - The British Isles on a plate - page 150
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 11:13:54 pm »
No worries Cornish, will post when I do.  :D