Author Topic: Thermochef...  (Read 109117 times)

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
Re: Thermochef...
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 02:36:46 pm »
Gee for $800 I can see why people would be tempted. I wonder if it is as good?

A friend couldn'f afford a KitchenAID so bought a Kendwood Chef ($500) and found it simply couldn't deal with kneading bread so was very unhappy with it and ended up buying the KitchenAID after all................ in that case, def not a cheap option!

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 03:17:05 pm »
That's why i bought a Bamix after my first one died - I had a look at the cheaper ones on the market and there was a reason why they were cheaper. I know lots of people are happy with other stick blenders, but because I had a Bamix from the start, I don't think I could go to anything less.

I think once the Thermochef gets a foothold, it will attract a part of the market, but $800 is still a lot of money. I wouldn't want to risk spending $800 to find that I still want the tm. Choice needs to do a test drive if no one on the forum can enlighten us/want's to get one. I really want to know what the thermochef is like.

Offline Judydg

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 04:03:17 pm »
Well I certainly hope it isn't as good, having just ordered my thermomix!! I must admit though I do think we are overcharged here given current exchange rates. I considered getting my mum to buy me on in the UK and bring it out! But I thought it better to have local support and also I suppose warranty would not be valid here.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 10:00:32 pm »
Judydg, a little while ago someone else contemplated purchasing a machine from overseas, but it's not as simple as that.  You are right about the lack of a local consultant and warranty, but there may be issues with our electric current and, on top of that you would be faced with the problem of shipping a fragile machine across the world and the costs of clearing it once it arrives in Australia and having to pay GST at point of entry as well.  It's best to "buy local" - even if it does hurt the pocket, it is safer in the long run.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2011, 01:53:31 am »
I don't bother buying electricals overseas now - Australia's actually not too bad, especially with the techy stuff, and yes, I want a valid warranty and that's why there is a premium we pay. I think tms in the UK only have a one year warranty, and if that's the case, that bit extra is for the warranty.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 08:38:49 am »
dont now abut the UK but France has a 2 year warranty...
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2011, 08:49:14 am »
You get a two year warranty in the UK for domestic use,but only one year warranty for commercial use.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline kateincottesloe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 12:07:48 pm »
I saw one in action recently.  Comparing this product to the TM31 is not comparing apples with apples.  It simply doesn't do the same job nor does it approach the same quality. Plastic components of in the TC do not display food safe symbols.  The TC warranty CLAIMS to be 2 years but in the fine print says 12 months. Purchasing this would prove to be a false economy I think.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2011, 08:51:30 pm »
Kate, welcome to the forum and thanks for your input on the Thermochef.  There is a song sung by Tom Waits that has the lyrics "The big print giveth and the small print taketh away", looks very much like the Thermochef warranty!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 07:02:20 am »
Welcome to the forum kateincottesloe.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline elleandsam

• View Profile
    • Instinctive Parenting
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 08:25:13 am »
Like moat things in life, you get what you pay for.  I worked in industrial kitchens for years in my life before children and the low cost equipment just doesn't go the distance.
Married young mum of 2 living the dream in Townsville, Australia.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2011, 04:58:46 am »
Hadn't bothered looking, but curiosity got the better of me.

It is so similar to the THX design! I too am surprised it got around copyright.

I'm afraid the reverse function is a something I use very regularly, so that is a major pitfall for me.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2011, 08:42:48 am »
Like most things in life, you get what you pay for. 

Exactly!

I had a look at it today in Matchbox at Torquay.   Well, to start with, the shop assistant was such a sour-puss (a mature aged sour-puss).....and I'm sure she had way too many lemons for breakfast  :-))

Any way, I had a good look, and my first impressions were although some parts looked a little similar, the quality of the plastic was cheap to feel and seemed flimsy and light.  There wasn't a reverse function, and the steaming basket was stainless....like the varoma.  Not only would they get too hot and pose a burning threat, I would have to question if food would stick to it also.
The scales surface looked small, and is not convenient having to weigh in separately, instead of adding it all into the jug directly.
The plastic casing and window for the button component also looked cheap and nasty.
The sour-puss assistant came over, and told me how wonderful they are......but when I asked her questions, she didn't have a clue.  I found that quite unbelievable, as it was priced at $795.00, you would think that they had some product knowledge or training.   I know I would not feel confident purchasing anything for that amount, and being told "I'm not sure" on how it worked.

I asked if it had a a reverse function like the thermomix, and she couldn't tell me if it did or didn't.  She then said it was exactly like a thermomix.......I said no it wasn't.......she gave me a filthy look......I walked out the store  :-))
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2011, 08:54:22 am »
Yes, they shouldn't mess with our Thermomix  >:( >:( ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2011, 09:20:05 pm »
Great pun, JD