Author Topic: Iron-Hit Smoothie  (Read 6453 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Iron-Hit Smoothie
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:36:44 pm »
Iron-Hit Smoothie
Makes 2 cups

1 1/2 cups milk of choice
2 dried apricots
2 dried peaches
1 banana
2 teaspoons wheat germ
2 teaspoons memoc seeds
1 pear, peeled and chopped (I probably wouldn't bother peeling it)

Start with apricots and peaches, blend well.  Add banana, wheat germ, pear blend well.  Add enough milk to get desired consistency and blend well.  I like pouring the milk onto the lid and listening for desired consistency.

Alternatives - can just throw in small handful of almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, a little sesame seeds and linseeds with the apricots instead of making up the memoc seed mixture.

I used a granny smith apple instead of a pear, and all dried apricots - yummy!

Source: Feeding Fussy Kids by Julie Maree Wood
Great for fussy ones who won't eat their greens or are not keen meat eaters.  Best served with something rich in Vitamin C (orange, strawberries, berries, blackcurrants, pineapple or avocado) to assist with the absorbtion of iron.  Might as well throw some of those into the smoothie!

Boosts protein, iron, calcium, zinc, phosphorous, copper, manganese, vitamin A & C.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 01:50:58 am by cathy79 »
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Iron-Hit Smoothie
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 03:11:29 pm »
Thanks Cathy!!  :-* :-* :-* Appreciate it, will post a review as soon as I get one made I will get the dried peaches tomorrow, have everything else in the pantry!  :D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:43:07 am »
Sure does sound toooooo nice to be healthy.    :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:52:33 am »
Thanks, I will try this on my 16 year old son.  He doesn't store iron either, doesn't eat enough red meat and I doubt that I could get him to eat anything that looks as healthy as the iron boost balls!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:45:07 am »
I made this today - delicious!  I've tweaked the original to what I think works really well.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:05:59 am »
Thanks Cathy

It sounds delicious.  Is what you posted the tweaked version?  I'm going to buy some wheat germ tomorrow and try this with my rice/almond milk aka quirky's recipe. ;D ;D ;D

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 11:00:04 pm »
Yes, that's my tweaked version.  So far I've made it just with apricots as I haven't been able to find peaches.  Delicious!