Author Topic: Kindle and eraders...any advice?  (Read 13445 times)

*jo*

Kindle and eraders...any advice?
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:53:28 am »

I am interested in getting a kindle but keep confusing myself :-))  I am considering the 3G  one with a built in modem however my concern is that it wouldn't work in Australia or does it allow you to change settings?  I actually have a million questions but I thought I would start there ???  Thanks to anyone that can offer me any information my head hurts from reading so much about them online  :P

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle and eraders...any advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 07:58:47 am »
Jo as I said in Gretchen's birthday post I have a Sony ereader. I've only had it for a few weeks. I'm hopelessly computer illiterate but I find I can download books fairly easily if I go slow and follow the directions. With the Sony I can't purchase from Amazon as it comes in a different format. Though Sony have assured me they are looking into that. I buy from Borders mainly but can buy from A & R and book depository in the UK.
I love it and perhaps in 10 years I'll have read all the books I have and only have them on the ereader.
The Sony is a touch screen, and will take a SD memory card to enlarge its memory. It's fine to read in the sunlight too. Can be used for audio as well and I think more but I haven't explored it that much.
JulieO has a Kindle. She wrote quite a bit about it here.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=4415.0
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:01:38 am »
Jo, I bought the 3G kindle for my Daughter, and it works brilliantly!
You need to go to the Amazon website, and you need to click which country you are ordering it for.  It redirects you to another page for Australia.
You then can "Check the  coverage" of your location.
If your area is not covered by wireless.....you can go to any McDonalds store to download the books.  My Friend does this as she can't use the 3G function at her home address.
.........EAT CAKE!

*jo*

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:11:51 am »
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.  The Sony I think of the convenience just in case something goes wrong.  The memory card is a bonus too I didn't know about that.  Hhhmm  so many questions for a little device I'm doing my head in LOL. Thank you so much for the link, the review is fantastic, awesome job JulieO.  

*jo*

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:16:35 am »
Thanks Maddy, I had a nosey around Amazon earlier.  Actually I started about three hours ago!!  Good grief I didn't realize I had been here that long LOL.  May I ask did you purchase yours via Amazon?  More bang for your buck at the moment so a good time to purchase I was thinking.  I see alot on ebay however they aren't terrbily specific re the models and some can't answer my question as to whether is it the actual 3G with the in built modem.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:48:04 am »
I think JO has said it all  ;)

When I am looking for a book I buy on my computer cos I find that quicker, and then the next time I turn the Kindle wireless on it will automatically download. I have read so many more books because I am not wasting time re-reading pages to find out where I am up to, and I can flick the pages over really fast.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 08:53:31 am by CreamPuff63 »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:52:15 am »
I just ordered one for my dh for his birthday  :) I too thought might as well do it while the dollar is so strong   ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 01:28:38 pm by Meagan »
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 09:11:31 am »
My OH and I bought each other a Kindle for our ruby wedding anniversary.   We got the 3G ones but I'm not sure that was strictly necessary - the wireless works well both and home and when we're out and about.

One thing people seem to comment on is how much easier getting hold of books is with the Kindle rather than Sony.   And the best thing is how many books (especially classics) you can get for free.

As we both have one (linked to the same Amazon account) we can read the same book at the same time and that's an added bonus.

I love my Kindle  :-* :-* :-*

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 10:35:45 am »
I think you are right that it is easier to get books with the Kindle. Borders etc just don't seem to have all that many ebooks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

*jo*

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 01:58:34 pm »
So what do you do when you can't get on to the Thermomix forum...go to amazon and order a kindle!!! 

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 02:54:43 pm »
HA HA HA   ;D ;D ;D I have spent the last day or so looking at everything on Amazon for Kindle - how scary is it that we are all so much alike  ;) ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 04:18:25 pm »
I'm on my third Kindle.  I have upgrades each time they produce something new, although both 2 and 3 are currently in use.
I don't keep all my books on one Kindle because I would have to go through too many pages to get to the book I want but as Amazon keeps them, I can remove them from my Kindle and download them again at any time.  My older Kindle just has cookbooks on it.
I just went to my Kindle collection/books on Amazon and I have 1139 books on 76 pages so you can see that holding them there saves me a lot of time clicking through pages on my device.

I tried other e-readers before getting the Kindle and I was not satisfied with any of them.  The newer Kindles do not need a memory card, they have plenty of memory as a basic unit.  I did get one for my first Kindle because it did not have sufficient built in memory or at least I didn't think so and it was essentially a way to archive my books and remove them from the active memory.  Since Amazon's Whispernet has increased the download speed, I don't need that function. 

Considering what I paid for my original and both subsequent Kindles, the newest version is a bargain and the outdoor viewing in full sun is much better.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

*jo*

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 04:37:49 pm »
Kathryn I'm a great minds think alike kinda girl so go all of us  ;D

Andiesenji I have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about however I am hoping that within the next week or so I will be picking your brain and speaking your language LOL...thank you so much I am really really excited about it and I will need all the help I can get :-))

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 05:13:43 pm »
Hellllllllllo!

(it's been so long since I've been here that I'm ashamed to say I forgot my password  :-[ , it took FOREVER to log in!)

Being as frugal as I am  :-)), I only really became interested when I saw a 'used' Kindle listed for sale in my town. Trying to do the research on its use in Canada was agonizing. They give mixed messages on the Amazon site regarding 3G coverage etc. Also, I had heard that not all books are licensed for Canada and that this would be a hurdle. I even wrote Amazon asking for clarity as none of the websites and forums really answered my questions. The Amazon response was just as bad.... basically they told me that there is no wireless coverage in Canada for it, but they do sell into Canada.

Okay, I ended up buying the used one because the lovely man selling it said I could bring it back to him if it didn't perform as expected. And to my surprise, the 3G coverage works like a charm. ;D The benefit of this are that you can use the kindle not only to download books remotely, but that you can use it to browse and do email without paying for a service provider. :o The 3G Whispernet coverage is included in the cost of the physical unit.

If you get one, I would recommend buying the cheap (about $2) guidebook for how to get more out of your Kindle. Can't remember the title of it now but basically it give tips and tricks that will be really useful for those who are not so techie-literate. That guide provides links to more free books (outside of Amazon) that can be downloaded and read on the Kindle, plus links to true Audio books.

I bought the Kindle to help my adult son learn to read. (He has an illness that prevented him from learning as a child) I thought the functionalities of customizing text size, plus the text-to-speech functions would assist him greatly. As I was training myself in its use, so that I would be able to help him with it, I became hooked! Luckily I found a second one (also used) for my son.

I prefer to search for and find the books on my desktop computer and then Amazon just sends them to the Kindle for me. It's just way too easy. When you reopen the Kindle, there they are! It's lovely. Also, if wearing my glasses or not, I can always read comfortably because I can adjust the text size accordingly!

I haven't started reading cookbooks on it yet, but there are some very appealing ones out there. Instead, I've been somewhat distracted by some of the more ... um... titillating titles.  :o :D :-*

Hope this helps. The Kindle is lots of fun for people who like to read. I'm sure this thread will get much longer in no time as other Thermomix-hugging gadget loving readers chime in!

ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 10:00:08 pm »
HA HA HA   ;D ;D ;D I have spent the last day or so looking at everything on Amazon for Kindle - how scary is it that we are all so much alike  ;) ;)
Hellllllllllo!
I haven't started reading cookbooks on it yet, but there are some very appealing ones out there. Instead, I've been somewhat distracted by some of the more ... um... titillating titles.  :o :D :-*

Yes it is scary. Turns out that Helene and I were reading the same titillating book at the same time! :-)) :-))

Real scary that. :-[ :-[

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.