Author Topic: Vegan Choc Chip Tahini Cookies that are good for your bones  (Read 13974 times)

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Vegan Choc Chip Tahini Cookies that are good for your bones
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:07:24 pm »
Choc Chip Tahini Cookies (adapted for Thermomix from Peggy K holistic nutritionist's site)

Makes ~20 cookies

15g (2 tablespoons) chia seeds
25g (1/4 cup) cacao nibs
260g (1cup) tahini
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
60g (1/2 cup) coconut sugar
75g (1 cup) rolled oats
Pinch of sea salt
35g (1/4 cup) raisins (I used sultanas)
65g (1 cup) coconut flakes, unsweetened
45g (1/4 cup) vegan choc chips
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (I left these out as my daughters are allergic to them)

Method:

1. Place chia seeds in TMX bowl and grind for 10 seconds - Speed 9. Set aside in small bowl. Add 1/3 cup water and stir. Leave to gel.
2. This step is optional but I grind coca nibs as I don't like their texture. Place cocoa nibs in TMX bow; and grind for 10 seconds - Speed 9. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 180C.
4. Place tahini, chia mixture, cinnamon, coconut sugar and sea salt into TMX bowl and combine for 10 seconds - Speed 2-3.
5. Add remaining ingredients (rolled oats, raisins, coconut flakes, choc chips and walnuts) and mix for 30 seconds - Speed 2, until well combined and coming together. Scrape down and repeat if necessary.
6. Scoop out heaped tablespoons and roll into balls. Place on baking paper-lined baking trays and flatten. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool before eating.

Here is some additional health information from the website:
Tahini one of highest sources of Calcium (ounce for ounce roughly 5x more calcium than milk!).  Also a great source of magnesium which aids in the absorption of calcium.
cinnamon also super high in calcium!  It adds a natural sweetness helping to regulate blood sugar levels and super alkalizing which contributes to bone health.
cacao nibs are one of the highest plant-based sources of magnesium. Magnesium required to absorb and utilize calcium

Here is a photo:

And here is the website address which includes website address and a video of the recipe. The thermomix makes it all a lot easier and it comes together nicer than demonstated.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
Re: Vegan Choc Chip Tahini Cookies that are good for your bones
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:08:36 pm »
Here is the website address I forgot to add:

http://www.peggyk.com/recipes/chocolatechip-tahini-cookies/

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:11:05 pm »
I made these as I needed a vegan biscuit to take to a guest's house tomorrow. After having finished these my husband reminded me that the guest is anaphylactic to sesame seeds (tahini) so not a good choice  :-X Now whether I can be bothered to make some different biscuits tomorrow morning . . .

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 03:36:02 am »
Thanks Tasty for the recipe. Did you end up doing anything different?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 04:42:00 am »
They sound nice, I think they would be tasty for non vegans too Tasty. ( lots of Tasty's in there!)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 10:53:44 am »
I don't have any chia seeds but from the sound it is taking the place of an egg? Do you think I could substitute an egg instead?
Kylie

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 11:46:27 am »
I can't see why not Kyton as you said it's taking the place of the egg to make it vegan. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 02:15:12 pm »
Kmw - I did what I typed up so the changes I made include Step 2 which is not part of the original recipe

Kyton - you are right....the chia seed is an egg replacment so I'm sure using an egg would be fine.

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 10:46:48 am »
Thank you xx
Kylie