Author Topic: Chocolate Pecan Self-Saucing Pudding (with photo)  (Read 20787 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Chocolate Pecan Self-Saucing Pudding (with photo)
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:49:16 pm »
Chocolate Pecan Self-Saucing Pudding
Serves 4 - 6

I love chocolate self-saucing pudding, but I haven't made it for ages because of the amount of sugar in it... so I was very happy to find a healthy version in Cyndi O's cookbook!  I've changed it slightly to make it dairy-free, and it's also wheat free and naturally sweetened.  You could easily make it gluten free by using gluten free flour.

1.  Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.  Grease a 2 litre baking dish.

2.  In Thermomix, mix together on speed 4 for 10 seconds:
- 150g wholemeal spelt flour (can grind spelt grain first)
- 50g Rapadura
- 2 tablespoons organic cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 egg
- 100g rice-almond milk
- 2 tablespoons macadamia oil (or grapeseed/light olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g whole pecans

3.  Scrape mixture into baking dish, and add sauce ingredients to Thermomix, mixing on speed 4 for 10 seconds:
- 25g organic cocoa powder
- 80g Rapadura
- 350g boiling water

4.  Carefully pour sauce mixture over cake batter, pouring over the back of a spoon so it doesn't make a hole in the batter.  Bake for about 30 minutes, until done.

Members' comments

CP - QC could the following ingredients be substituted with the same weight and still end up with a great flavour:

wholemeal spelt flour - with normal plain flour?
rapadura - with brown sugar?
rice almond milk - with normal milk?

QJ's answer - Yes, that would work fine

earth mumma - saw this on your website last night.  We had it for desserts and it was delicious. It was just so easy to make.  I used half wholemeal/half plain spelt, but next time I think I will try for more wholemeal.  I didn't have any rapadura sugar (over $7.00 per 300gm here in Bendigo) so used organic raw sugar instead.  I have also managed to get some raw organic cocoa butter and was wondering if it would work using this instead of the macadamia nut oil.  This is a definite dinner party winner. 

Tebasile - I made it with 200 g soaked barley and walnuts tonight. It was delicious Jo. Thank you for this interesting guilt free recipe. Lots of leftover for me tomorrow.
The pudding was a last minute but very good decision. I milled all ingredients on speed 10 instead 4, since the hulled barley was soaked unmilled overnight with some lemon water. Soaking the flour would be a good idea, if you plan ahead.

Ruth - I made this tonight with EVOO (although not a strong flavoured one) and it was great. It's a good last minute winter dessert for me as I always have those ingredients in the cupboard, except maybe pecans but can always substitute those. Thanks for posting it.

Chelsea - We LOVE this pudding!!!  Thanks so much Jo.  I think this is our new favourite Quirky recipe. Adding in the soaking step worked really well.  I mixed the freshly milled spelt flour with all of the milk from the recipe (I used cows milk) and a tsp of cider vinegar.  I then left it covered at cool room temperature for 8 hours.  After that time I added it in to the recipe and continued on.  I did add an extra 40g of milk at the end though, as I felt the pudding batter was a bit thick with the soaked flour.  Yummy!

VHJ - The taste of the end product was very nice. Next time I make it I will either reduce the amount of barley (& mill it a little more) or add a little more milk. All in all I'm happy with my first effort at milling and soaking whole grain so it's onward and upward from here. Thanks Quirkycooking.

CC - Made this for dessert tonight. Yum! Very Chocolatey and Delicious.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 09:50:55 am by judydawn »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Chocolate Pecan Self-Saucing Pudding (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:00:29 pm »
Looks divine Jo, thanks for the conversion.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:41:17 pm »
Great one Quirky Jo - real winner there - shame you didn't have it for the dinner party comp with TMX Oz.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 04:12:48 am »
QC could the following ingredients be substited with the same weight  and still end up with a great flavour:

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 05:35:16 am »
Quirky cooking - saw this on your website last night.  We had it for desserts and it was delicious. :-* :-* :-*.  It was just so esay to make.  My 6y.o son loved helping, especially having the honours of licking out the TM after.  I used half wholemeal/half plain spelt, but next time I think I will try for more wholemeal.  I didn't have any rapadura sugar (over $7.00 per 300gm here in Bendigo) so used organice raw sugar instead.  I have also managed to get some raw organic cocoa butter and was wondering if it would work using this instead of the macadamia nut oil.  This is a definate dinner party winner.  I have a TM delivery to do today and thought I might give her this recipe to try.  Thanks - I love chocolately things - especially when I can make them myself.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
    • http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:41:31 am »
I made it with 200 g soaked barley and walnuts tonight. It was delicious Jo. Thank you for this interesting guilt free recipe. Lots of leftover for me tomorrow  ;D

Elisabeth -Thermomix Consultant- from Ontario, Canada
http://tebasileskitchen.blogspot.com/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 12:58:54 pm »
It just looks delicious.  Good idea to put the soaking step in there Tebasile.  Did you mill the grain and then soak it in the milk from the recipe (and a little acid medium)?  I'm guessing that would work.  I'm going to mill my grain shortly and get it soaking in preparation for tomorrow night.  :)

Offline KL_inTheMiX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:22:45 pm »
Quirky...
all I can say is .....

NOM NOM NOM!!!!!

;D can't wait to try it!!

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 01:27:47 pm »
The pudding was a last minute but very good decission. I milled all ingredients on speed 10 instead 4, since the hulled barley was soaked unmilled overnight ( for I didn't know exactly) with some lemon water. Soaking the flour would be a good idea, if you plan ahead  ;)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 01:34:46 pm »
That sounds good, Tebasile - I'll have to try soaked barley next time as I have heaps of it in the freezer!  Only problem is it's unhulled, so it's a bit spiky when you mill it - do you use unhulled, and if so, does it work okay soaked then pulverised with the liquid?  Probably works better that way.

Glad you liked it, Earth Mumma!  I'm sure coconut oil would be fine - I thought about using that, but opted for grapeseed oil I think it was (or maybe light olive?) - I think even EVOO would be okay, because it's only a small amount of oil, and the cocoa would mask any strong flavour.

I've made this twice in one week - we had visitors, that's my excuse!!  (Made a double batch the second time, and it overflowed in the oven onto my pizza stone! Ugh.)  No cocoa left now.  :'(

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 01:59:50 pm »
The pudding was a last minute but very good decission. I milled all ingredients on speed 10 instead 4, since the hulled barley was soaked unmilled overnight ( for I didn't know exactly) with some lemon water. Soaking the flour would be a good idea, if you plan ahead  ;)

I'm trying so hard to plan ahead for soaking my whole grains, but am still forgetting most of the time. Good intentions I guess!  :)

Offline ruth

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 04:56:21 pm »
I made this tonight with EVOO (although not a strong flavoured one) and it was great. Its a good last minute winter dessert for me as I always have those ingredients in the cupboard, except maybe pecans but can always substitute those.

thanks for posting it

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 12:41:26 am »
QC could the following ingredients be substited with the same weight  and still end up with a great flavour:

Sorry CreamPuff - forgot to answer this!  Yes, that would work fine.  :)

Offline Tebasile

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 03:21:45 am »
That sounds good, Tebasile - I'll have to try soaked barley next time as I have heaps of it in the freezer!  Only problem is it's unhulled, so it's a bit spiky when you mill it - do you use unhulled, and if so, does it work okay soaked then pulverised with the liquid?  Probably works better that way.

Mine was only hulled Jo. Would it work to sift the spikes ???

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 01:18:22 pm »
We LOVE this pudding!!!  Thanks so much Jo.  I think this is our new favourite Quirky recipe.

Adding in the soaking step worked really well.  I mixed the freshly milled spelt flour with all of the milk from the recipe (I used cows milk) and a tsp of cider vinegar.  I then left it covered at cool room temperature for 8 hours.  After that time I added it in to the recipe and continued on.  I did add an extra 40g of milk at the end though, as I felt the pudding batter was a bit thick with the soaked flour.  Yummy! :)