Author Topic: Baked Beans (with photo)  (Read 23038 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Baked Beans (with photo)
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:38:02 am »
Baked Beans
serves 6

(Photo is minced beef and beans on toast)

I'm not sure whether to put this in breakfast or main meals - it's kind of a light meal if you leave out the meat and make it vegetarian; with the bacon or beef mince it's a more hearty meal.  The bacon version does taste more like the traditional 'ham and beans', but if you'd rather use mince, that's nice too.

1. Place in Thermomix bowl and chop for 2-3 seconds, speed 5:
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 - 3 whole bacon rashers, rinds removed (optional)

OR, chop onion, then add 150g minced beef, or leave meat out altogether for a vegetarian version

2.  Scrape down sides with spatula and add oil, then cook for 5 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 1:
- 30g olive oil

3.  Insert butterfly, add all other ingredients, and cook for 15 minutes, 100 degrees, speed 1:
- 3 x 400g tins of cannellini (or mixed) beans, drained and rinsed
(or use about 1000g beans you've pre-cooked)
- 1 x 400g tin of crushed tomatoes
- 60g tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp mixed spice (or just a pinch of ground cloves)
- 2 bay leaves
- 25g molasses
- 25g Rapadura
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 100g water (optional - depending how thick you want the sauce)

4.  Remove bay leaves, check seasonings, and serve with some crusty bread!

members' comments

CC - Another wonderful recipe Jo, enjoyed by us all here.The flavours were divine. I didn't read the recipe properly and ended up using both bacon and minced beef. I used a can of cannellini, flageolet and haricot beans to give me a nice mixture. I was fighting with the bay leaves though, they just wouldn't stay down in the mixture. I love your recipes they are so reliable.

O2K - our family loved it.  Even DS1 (2 years old) ate it.  He gave up on tinned baked beans ages ago, so very pleased to have found this recipe.  Thanks Jo.

AinslieDR - I made this for breakfast. We had some leftover sausages that I cut up and put in 10 mins before end with the beans (I mixed cannellini and butter beans). I also added a couple of tablespoons of homemade tomato chutney and some paprika and chili powder. Delicious! Thanks for the recipe. There will be no more bought beans in our house from now on since these are so tasty

KerrynN - I gave this recipe a try with bacon, and in place of mixed spice I added a bit of cinnamon, clove and ginger. I also used one can each of kidney beans, butter beans, and borlotti beans as that was what I had in the cupboard. I had no molasses so just skipped that. The flavour was great, even DS10 Mr Fussy said it was fantastic! I might do it on reverse next time as the beans themselves didn't hold together very well, except for the kidney beans. Perhaps that is the beans I used though? 

Cuilidh - I made this again and cut down a bit on the molasses and sugar but added approx. 1/2 tsp smoked paprika.  Tasted great!

Amy - served with eggs on toasted English muffins. They were a hit, thanks for a great recipe Jo!!!

JD - I used the optional 100 g water but found it made the dish too runny at the end of cooking so I added another can of cannellini beans to thicken it up.  Taste is fantastic, thanks Jo.

JuliaC83 - used bacon but not mince. In place of molasses and rapadura, I used 40g dark brown sugar. Used 1 tin 4 bean mix, 1 tin cannellini beans and 1 tin chick peas. Also cut onion back to half. So tasty!!! Def be a regular here.

djinni373 - I cooked up a mountain of dried cannellini beans and made these. Very nice except the teens require the beans to be cooked more next time so they are soft and squishy like the tinned ones. Should mention that was my fault not the recipe. Great base for baked beans pizza (with bacon) and for a sausage and bean casserole.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:32:27 am by judydawn »
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Baked Beans (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 01:12:22 pm »
I saw this on your blog Jo ( I'm a very frequent visitor  ;D ) and it looks absolutely divine.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:28:21 pm »
Thanks CC!!!  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:21:51 pm »
I love baked beans. Love the recipe but I have to add chili!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 11:03:35 pm »
Ha ha - so does my dh - he adds it to absolutely everything!

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 01:25:44 pm »
Oh thankyou. Absolutly brilliant! My kids love baked beans and I have been too slack to make them. This looks great.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:11:02 pm »
Another wonderful recipe Jo, enjoyed by us all here.The flavours were divine.I didn't read the recipe properly and ended up using both bacon and minced beef. :D :D I used a can of cannellini,flageolet and haricot beans to give me a nice mixture.I was fighting with the bay leaves though, they just wouldn't stay down in the mixture. :D :D
I love your recipes they are so reliable.  :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:20:03 pm »
Thank you CC - glad you liked it!  I actually used both bacon & mince the second time too - it was really yummy!  ;D

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 10:33:01 pm »
Another one to add to the list.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 10:23:35 am »
I made this today and our family loved it.  Even DS1 (2 years old) ate it.  He gave up on tinned baked beans ages ago, so very pleased to have found this recipe.  Thanks Jo.   ;D

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 10:25:30 am »
That's great - glad he liked it  :)

Offline AinslieDR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 07:34:05 am »
Hi,

I made this this morning for breakfast. We had some leftover sausages that I cut up and put in 10 mins before end with the beans (I mixed cannellini and butter beans). I also added a couple of tablespoons of homemade tomato chutney and some paprika and chili powder. Delicious!

Thanks for the recipe. There will be no more bought beans in our house from now on since these are so tasty

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 01:47:44 am »
At the last minute last night I decided we needed something more 'substantial' to top our baked potatoes, so went in search of baked beans. I gave this recipe a try with bacon, and in place of mixed spice I added a bit of cinnamon, clove and ginger. I also used one can each of kidney beans, butter beans, and borlotti beans as that was what I had in the cupboard. I had no molasses so just skipped that.

The flavour was great, even DS10 Mr Fussy said it was fantastic! I might do it on reverse next time as the beans themselves didn't hold together very well, except for the kidney beans. Perhaps that is the beans I used though?

I am looking forward to having the leftovers for lunch with some corn kernels.
Kerryn

Offline JuicyFruit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 12:26:49 am »
Thanks for sharing this .. My son loves BB but hasn't had them in ages as I don't buy canned goods anymore .. Will definitely be giving it a go!  :D
~ Clare

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 12:11:33 am »
Does anyone have an opinion on how these would freeze? :-))