Author Topic: Cottage Rolls  (Read 47043 times)

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
Cottage Rolls
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:53:29 am »
Cottage Rolls
Vegetarian version of sausage rolls.  Loved by meat eater, vegetarian even fussy kids.  Freeze well and nice serve hot or cold

Number: 72

Ingredients:

* 500g low fat cottage cheese
    * 4 eggs
    * 2 small onion, chopped
    * 1 cup  pecans (or macadamia)
    * 2 tbs Kikkoman soy sauce
    * 2 carrot, chopped
    * 1 small zuchinni, chopped
    * 1 cup breadcrumbs (or WeetBix crumb)
    * 2 cup oats
    * 6 (25cm x 25cm) sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, thawed
    * 1 tbs milk (I use soy milk)
    * 1 tbs poppy seeds (optional)

Preparation:
1.  Preheat oven to 200°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.  
2. Grate onion, carrots and zuchinni at speed 6 for 5-8 seconds.
3. Add cottage cheese, eggs, pecan, soy sauce, breadcrumbs, oats and mixed at speed 5 for 3-4 seconds.
4. Cut each pastry sheet in half, put cottage cheese mixture, prick with fork and brush lightly with milk. Shape one portion of mixture into a log 3cm from edge of long side of pastry. Roll up to enclose filling. Cut into six pieces crossways. Place on baking tray. Repeat with remaining pastry and mixture. Brush rolls with milk. Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
5. Bake 20-30 minutes or until golden.

Tips/Hints:
This freeze well - do up to step 4, then put in the container, freeze.  Baked without thawing for 30 minutes.
Could easily halve the recipe
I put a teaspoon of Marmite/Vegemite/Mightymight to boost the flavour

Adapted from www.Taste.com.au

JD: I made these today as I had to use up 3 sheets of puff pastry left over from another dish.  Stuck to the recipe exactly by using cottage cheese and they were brilliant.   Fooled both DH and Mum who both didn't pick up on the fact that they were not made from meat. Have to be so much healthier than the meat variety anyway so will be passing the recipe on to vegetarian DD1 and 'normal' DD2 who always does the meat variety for her children's parties. I like the fact the filling doesn't shrink like meat does sometimes and I thank you denzelmum for this lovely recipe. A great way of getting some goodness into the children.

opi2kenopi: Made these today, they are sooooooo good!  DS1 wolfed 3 down for dinner without skipping a beat.  Such a great recipe and thanks so much for posting it Denzelmum.
(I didn't have any nuts on hand that I wanted to use in these so I just omitted them - still gooooood!!)
You'll have to excuse them being wide and flat (I had a small pastry issue which I intend to resolve next time I make these, and there will definitely be a next time  )

snitch: hi! These look yummy. I'm thinking of doing them for my son's 4th birthday party on sunday... about how many does the recipe make?

DM: Hello, it depend on the size, you can make it small or large, easily make 72.  Sometimes I freeze them before baking, and just put them in the oven for 30 minutes when  I need them.

Snitch: Thanks so much for this recipe.... the party was today and they were so quick to make... at first I thought the mixture looked a bit gloopy but by the time I went to put it onto the puff pastry sheets it was fine! My husband only bought 250g of cottage cheese so I used cream cheese for the other 250g.... it made about 12-14 rolls per sheet of puff pastry which was more than enough!! Everyone at the party raved how good they were and my kids polished off more for dinner. This is definitely a winner of a recipe. Thanks again!!
oh, meant to say... the recipe says to bake for 35mins... but I found it only took about 15mins before they were lovely and golden.
thanks again 

JulieO: I made a half recipe yesterday and cut each 'roll' into 4, so got 24 out of it.  We really liked these, didn't expect them to be as good as they were, so easy too.   

KJH: I have a batch of these in the freezer, and I was wondering if any of you clever people can tell me the best way to thaw and cook them?  Do you thaw them before cooking, and does the pastry go soggy if you do this, or can you just bung them in the oven frozen?

DM: I put them straight to the oven and bake for 35 minutes at 200oC

Kimby83: I made these this morning - they were so quick and easy but the best part is, I didn't mention anything about the fact they were vegetarian, and everyone assumed they were sausage rolls! The whole family raved about them and have requested them for next time. I don't want to say they're just veggie in case they won't like them! Oh well, am stoked that everyone loved them - thanks for the recipe!!!

Wonder: I made a half batch of these yesterday and had to substitute a combination of walnuts and hazelnuts for the pecan's, and used a mix of ricotta and feta for the cottage cheese (similar to Cyndi's), I'm not sure if my tweaks changed the recipe fundamentally but we are not fan and I'm afraid the majority are going to end up in the bin

Maddy: Lovely,much prefer these compared to  Cyndi's vegetarian ones.
I made a 1/2 batch, still added 2 Tbsp. soy (ketjap manis), 1 garlic clove, and used fresh ricotta that I had made earlier today.
Next time I will chop the nuts in first with the onion/carrot/zucchini, as they weren't chopped enough when added with the rest of ingredients.
Also might try using sweet chili sauce instead of soy as an alternative option for next time.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 07:49:46 pm by Cornish Cream »
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cottage Rolls
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:09:43 am »
These sound nice.  I'd probably try ricotta as we aren't fond of cottage cheese. I guess that would still work.
Thanks.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »
Good idea, let me know how does it go...

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:06:52 am »
Interesting recipe - thanks for sharing the idea.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:31:25 am »
This looks lovely - Vegetarian Sausage Rolls. Like you, cookie, I'd use Ricotta.

Will be trying these soon, thanks Denzelmum!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Katecooks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 04:49:04 am »
These sound good I will be trying this out especially as everyone has an excess of zucchini in the garden at the moment.

Offline RubyRoo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 04:59:42 am »
These look yummy...will also be trying with ricotta.  Thanks! :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 05:37:19 am »
I made these today as I had to use up 3 sheets of puff pastry left over from another dish.  Stuck to the recipe exactly by using cottage cheese and they were brilliant.   Fooled both DH and Mum who both didn't pick up on the fact that they were not made from meat. Have to be so much healthier than the meat variety anyway so will be passing the recipe on to vegetarian DD1 and 'normal' DD2 who always does the meat variety for her children's parties. I like the fact the filling doesn't shrink like meat does sometimes and I thank you denzelmum for this lovely recipe. A great way of getting some goodness into the children.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 06:40:35 am »
Glad you like it, JD!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 05:01:32 am »
Have the grand-children here today so thawed out some of these and served them with home made tomato sauce. The little fellow is not eating much these days but got stuck into his 'sausage rolls' and the GD isn't a great tomato sauce lover but wants me to give her Mum the recipe for both items.  In fact, everything they've had today she wants the recipe to take home.  Love the fact that such little children like their grandma's cooking (6yrs & 2.5 yrs) - nice to be appreciated.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 08:49:12 am »
Judy,  glad you survived the day.  How do you get them to eat?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 09:39:37 am »
Would you believe, they didn't want to go home when DD arrived to pick them up  ???  Grandma was ready to put her feet up though and luckily no chance of a sleepover as I have to get the car serviced tomorrow.
I play games to get the little one to eat.  Ask him if he wants to grow big like Daddy then shovel spoonsful in myself if he is showing signs of not wanting to eat.  One to make his legs grow, one for his toes etc etc - he gets sucked in everytime but I know it won't last much longer. Miss 6 yr old will only eat what she fancies and games don't work on her of course. Luckily today, what I had here for them was to their satisfaction.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 11:10:45 am »
Sound great, cashews instead of pecans? Think that would work?

Judy, lol, they'll end up like my kids who wont eat anything that comes prepared or whine if they get given dried pasta  (oh other than they love eating it pre-cooking, but when I cook it I get but couldn't you have made some, ummm no this was my quick and easy meal thank you!), lol, it's sort of nice but at other times rather annoying. Oh but they'd still go to McDonald's even though they don't like the food!! Kids!
- sure your dd will love that, lol.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 11:30:57 am »
Love the story about the grandies JD! I haven't made these yet and I really must. I love the idea that they're called "Cottage Rolls". It sounds like you're saying "Sausage Rolls".
I have a heap of ricotta in the fridge as I bought a 1kg pack from Woolies still in it's little basket that it's made in. It was cheap! :-))

Hopefully, I'll find a little time tomorrow in between a trip to Katanning, cleaning the caravan and packing it to go on holidays on Thursday!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:21 am »
In the recipe is the 1breadcrumbs meaning 1cup of breadcrumbs? :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.