Author Topic: Lemon Pudding Surprise Cake  (Read 34188 times)

Offline Nigel Day

• View Profile
Lemon Pudding Surprise Cake
« on: August 30, 2008, 12:03:27 pm »
Name of Recipe: Lemon Pudding Surprise Cake
Number of People:
Ingredients:

2 large lemons, skin of 1 and juice of both
230g granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
25g butter
50g plain flour
500g milk

Preparation:

1. Thinly peel the skin from 1 of the lemons. Add the peelings and the sugar to the TM bowl. Grind 20 seconds/ Speed 10.
2. Add lemon juice from both lemons, egg yolks, butter, flour and milk. Mix 30 seconds/Speed 8. Pour out into a large bowl if you only have one TM bowl.
3. Wash your TM bowl (or use your second TM bowl) with hot soapy water and dry it so it is entirely grease-free.
4. Insert Butterfly Whisk and whisk the egg whites 2 minutes/Speed 4 until they are stiff peaks. Remove Butterfly Whisk.
5. Pour egg yolk mixture into the TM bowl with the egg whites. Mix 15 seconds/Speed 3.
6. Scrape down the sides of the TM bowl with the spatula. Mix again 5 seconds/Speed 3 then pour into a buttered oven-proof dish.
7. Set the dish into a roasting pan and pour boiling water from the kettle into the roasting pan so water comes halfway
up the sides of the pudding dish.
8. Bake 35 minutes at 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.

Members' comments
JD - The only change I made was how the egg whites were beaten as we now know a bit of heat is the secret to fluffy egg whites. Beat the 4 egg whites, butterfly in for 4 mins/50o/speed 3. I have 2 bowls so could use a clean bowl for the meringue part of it but if you don't have 2 bowls, I would do what Thermomixer suggested and that is to do the beating of the egg whites first. This is simply delicious. I have to say this cake (pudding I would call it) is just as nice served cold so would be a nice do-ahead dessert for visitors. I have to say this cake (pudding I would call it) is just as nice served cold so would be a nice do-ahead dessert for visitors.
I made this again and took it to DD's for Mothers' Day tea - it reheats really well and it went down a treat with oohs & ahs coming from around the table. They seemed surprised that something that looked so plain tasted so nice so the name suits this dish right down to the ground

CP - this recipe is one of my favourites. Confession: Step 4, the handmixer is brought out to stiffen the egg whites in a separate bowl.

JulieO - Yes it is lovely and I thought I may make in individual bowls the next time I make it.

dede - We loved it. nice and light with a delicious lemony sauce. I followed the recipe exactly and it worked perfectly. Yummo.

Tasty - It was delicious!!!!!!! So lemony and light!! I made the egg whites first before cleaning and making the rest of the recipe. Easy to follow. It doesn't rise so choose an appropriate tray. I also made a little individual pot which is cooked in around 20 minutes and I had to brown it with grill for colour. I also wanted to add that this taste better cold as the lemon flavour comes out stronger. It does not look good once cut up as it is messy but that's fine as so delicious!!

DJ - Half quantity made 6 ramekins, when cooked, full to almost overflowing. Perfect and yummy. I did 20 mins in baking oven Aga so about 180oC. In roasting tin with boiling water, they rose up like souffles. I also beat the egg whites with hand beater!

cargersmum -  Absolutely delicious - the whole thing disappeared! Thank you Judy for the tip about beating the egg whites  - something I could never get quite right before. Will definitely be using this recipe again -5/5 for us.

INAID - It was delicious, just like my My Great Aunty's which originates from the nursing mothers cook book.

troupie -- We love this recipe off the UK site. After using the same recipe for the past 46 years I tried this one for our anniversary dinner this week and have now found a new favourite recipe. It was so lemony, light and fluffy and I served it with ice cream (of course). That is definitely a keeper for my top ten file.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:41:09 pm by judydawn »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Lemon Pudding Surprise Cake
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:28:57 am »
This sounds like our Lemon Delicious Pudding.  We'll give it a go.

If you did the egg whites first, then you may not have to be a diligent with the cleaning between mixes?? ???

Not sure if that would work?

Will let you know if it is successful in reverse order.

Cheers
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 06:38:04 pm »
I believe this is the recipe  (Chelsea - sorry) Creampuff has made many times!?
The only thing I would do different isuse my handwhisker for the egg whites and not bother with the jug cleaning.
Must make this soon!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:27:30 am by Gralke »
Barbara

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 11:17:22 pm »
I think this may be a better recipe than the one I reviewed as Lemon Delicious from Budget Busters.  There is less butter.

However like Gralke I will use my beaters for egg whites.  In the other recipe the egg whites are cooked as well and I don't believe they were as fluffy as they could be.  There is also more milk in this recipe.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:24:53 am »
Thanks for bumping this one.  When it was referred to I couldn't find it as I looked in desserts and didn't think to look in cakes. The search box didn't bring it up either.  I don't seem to have much luck with that search box, anyone else find that? Maybe I don't put in enough info - I think I typed in lemon surprise. This is a real surprise as it is a pudding AND a cake ;) ;) so maybe it should be in desserts too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 05:39:05 am »
This recipe is straight off the UK Thermomix website:
http://www.ukthermomix.com/recshow.php?rec_id=67
Barb from Aldgate, South Australia

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 06:11:30 am »
An interesting recipe. I would be inclined to use my trusty hand beater for the egg whites too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 07:06:09 am »
I made this tonight without realising it was already posted on here so this becomes more of a review & photo opportunity.
The only change I made was how the egg whites were beaten as we now know a bit of heat is the secret to fluffy egg whites. Beat the 4 egg whites, butterfly in for 4 mins/50o/speed 3. I have 2 bowls so could use a clean bowl for the meringue part of it but if you don't have 2 bowls, I would do what Thermomixer suggested and that is to do the beating of the egg whites first.
This is simply delicious (I had 2 servings :-))).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 07:51:09 am by judydawn »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 07:35:21 am »
I'm sure my 'mob' would really like this.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 07:41:33 am »
this recipe is one of my favourites.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 07:47:45 am »
Been trying to get the second photo up but just would not accept it so here it is. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 04:20:10 am »
I have to say this cake (pudding I would call it) is just as nice served cold so would be a nice do-ahead dessert for visitors.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 01:46:08 am »
Confession: Step 4, the handmixer is brought out to stiffen the egg whites in a separate bowl  ;)
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 12:55:34 am »
I made this again on Saturday and took it to DD's for Mothers' Day tea last night - it reheats really well and it went down a treat with oohs & ahs coming from around the table. They seemed surprised that something that looked so plain tasted so nice so the name suits this dish right down to the ground.  SIL went back for seconds, grand-children gobbled it up and Mum loves anything with lemons in it so I knew she would enjoy it.  For something so easy to make and with ingredients we all have on hand,  this is a real winner. Have to do a copy of the recipe for DD.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 06:27:04 am »
Yes it is lovely and I thought I may make in individual bowls the next time I make it.  :)