Author Topic: IMPOSSIBLE LEMON PIE  (Read 61194 times)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
IMPOSSIBLE LEMON PIE
« on: February 02, 2009, 06:06:32 am »
IMPOSSIBLE LEMON PIE

Serves 6

Ingredients:-

1 cup desiccated coconut - 65g
half cup plain flour - 75g
1 & 1/4 cups castor sugar - 250g
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
4 eggs
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice - 85g
1 & 1/2 cups milk - 370g
40g melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 180C

Place sugar, lemonrind into TM bowl and mill for 20sec on speed 9
Add remaining ingredients and mix on reverse-speed 3 for 20 sec or until combined
Pour mixture into a lightly greased four cup capacity baking dish.
Bake for 40 mins or until top is golden

Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Serve with cream, custard or icecream.

Members' comments
Chelsea - I made this tonight for dessert and we all thought it was very nice (great for us sweet tooths).  I had some difficulty figuring out when it was cooked (how set it was supposed to be), but after 1 hour at 160o fan forced however it was slightly browned and the top was set all over.  The top was like a very sweet coconut lemon cake and underneath was gooey and soft (yummy).  A lovely family dessert - thanks Trudy!

Trudy - Glad you liked it.  I usually cook mine 180C for around 40 mins and that seems to work out fine.

Narelle - I made this tonight and it was nice.  A bit too much coconut for my liking (consistency not taste).  Certainly easy to make.  Easy to add to the waist line too!

maddy - Thanks Trudy, we enjoyed this tonight.

WAThermoFamily - Trudy - thank you that was delish!!!  I forgot to put timer on so I think it was slightly in oven a bit too long as it was firm but tasted delish.

Nay-nay -  it was yummo!!  This really does need the vanilla ice cream with it to balance the tang.

CC -  My SIL adored it and asked me to whip the serving dish away after he had two big helpings, he said he couldn't be trusted not to eat it all to himself. Thanks Trudy for a great recipe.

monkeyboyzmum - we had this tonight - it was FABULOUS!!

KarenH - OMG this is just gorgeous!  Reminds me of a lemon delicious pudding that my Mum makes - which is a whole lot of fiddle-faddle and ends up with heaps of dishes to wash - so I rarely bother making it.  But this one is SOOO quick and easy and very delicious!  A winner of a recipe - thanks!
DH made this again for dinner last night - but he made the batter several hours in advance and just left it sitting in the fridge, and baked it when we were ready for it.  It worked just great - so even easier to make-ahead for a dinner party.  Also, by letting it sit for a while, the desiccated coconut kind of floated to the top a bit, and resulted in a really yummy coconutty crust.  Almost better than the original!

Ceejay - My middle two loved this one this week... only comment was from my 5 year old who says he wants more lemon!  All the intolerances and allergies we have in our family means a limited diet for them... when they find something they enjoy, they make sure to let me know!

Hally - We had this last night - it went in one sitting, YUM!

VHJ - What an easy and tasty dessert this is. I don't think I cooked it quite long enough as it seemed a tad raw but was still yum.

maddy - Let it sit for at least 15 minutes Jan.  It will thicken up, and makes a gooey sauce

Rogizoja - Did this last night (reduced the sugar a tad) and it went down a storm. Now added to my favourites list.

jkmt - We had this for dessert tonight. I made it with soy milk as my husband prefers non-dairy (although I did use melted butter, but I guess I could easily have swapped for oil!). It was very nice, and my 10yo son would have happily polished off the lot if he'd been allowed. I think next time I will reduce the sugar a little bit.

Denzelmum - Made this last night, yum....  The whole family enjoyed it.  I was in the middle of baking , 15 minutes to go then emergency have to go out.  Decided to switch the oven off and when returned baked it for another 15 min.  Turn out just fine.  Lovely warm and cold.

Amanda - Trudy - made this for some friends last night at Karen's suggestion - it is absolutely fantastic!  My friend took the recipe home to adapt it to her food processor and I will certainly be making it again - thanks!

JD - This morning I realised I hadn't made this one either so I too have made it now. Made mainly for my Mum who loves anything lemon but it was far too big for one little lady so DH and I have just had a slice with cream after lunch and it is delicious Trudy.

Emme - Made this today, cut sugar back to 1 cup and used limes. 
Everyone loved it, served it with some vanilla and raspberry ice-cream, would certainly make again.

Amy - I cooked it for exactly 40 minutes and it was still a little wobbly. I thought it would set while everyone ate the main course, but even when I came back to it, it was still very wobbly. When I put the serving spoon in it, the top broke and all this liquid mixture came up. Since everyone was ready for dessert, I just scooped the cooked bits from around the top and outside. I very discreetly slid the dish back into the oven to try and set the remaining mixture. I served it with vanilla custard and everyone loved it, especially our guest.

DJ - Made this today but overcooked it.... Still pale on top but somewhat solid all the way through. Eaten up just the same. Thanks for recipe.

Kimmyh - Reduced sugar to 1 cup. Was lovely and enjoyed by all. Thank you for a quick and easy dessert.

Wonder - I have made this a few times now and it really is "impossible pie" for me - I've overcooked it, undercooked it and even left out some ingredients, it's always been eaten though so obviously not too bad!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:22:41 am by judydawn »

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: IMPOSSIBLE LEMON PIE
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 06:30:57 am »
mmmmm this might be what i make to take for morning tea this friday!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:59:49 am »
So easy and so yummy - good stuff  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 11:39:02 am »
I made this tonight for dessert and we all thought it was very nice (great for us sweet tooths).  I had some difficulty figuring out when it was cooked (how set it was supposed to be), but after 1 hour at 160o f/f however it was slightly browned and the top was set all over.  The top was like a very sweet coconut lemon cake and underneath was gooey and soft (yummy).  A lovely family dessert - thanks Trudy!
 ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:10:41 am »
... but after 1 hour at 160o f/f however it was slightly browned and the top was set all over.  ...

Sorry Chelsea, not sure what the f/f is?   ???
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline mama_bel

• View Profile
    • Home Cooked
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:35:49 am »
Fan-forced? 

I'm going to try this one, thanks!
Bel
Growing, cooking, learning, working at home...
So why am I always in the car?

http://belcooks.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 12:38:55 am »
Sorry Chelsea, not sure what the f/f is?   ???
Had me stumped too Thermomixer.  Thanks mama_bel
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 03:34:19 am »
Sorry.  ;D

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 08:56:17 am »
Hi Chelsea,
Glad you liked it.  I usually cook mine 180C for around 40 mins and that seems to work out fine.

Trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 10:42:53 am »
Is your oven fan forced Trudy??  :)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 01:37:25 am »
Hi Chelsea,
I have a double oven, one of which is fan forced.  Must say I prefer to cook not on fan forced, especially for baking.  One of my daughters makes this and her oven is fan forced.  Her's just seems to cook slightly quicker. 
Cheers,
Trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 03:52:03 am »
Thanks Trudy.  I will cook it at 180 next time.  :)

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 11:00:54 am »
I made this tonight and it was nice.  A bit too much coconut for my liking (consistency not taste).  Certainly easy to make.  Easy to add to the waist line too!

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 12:23:23 pm »
Thanks Trudy, we enjoyed this tonight  :-*

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 02:31:46 am »
Glad you liked it Maddy.