Author Topic: Chicken & Vegie Soup  (Read 65320 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Chicken & Vegie Soup
« on: June 03, 2010, 05:46:58 am »
Name of Recipe:Chicken and vegie soup
Number of People: 4+ serves
Ingredients:
1 tblspn oil
1/2 leek, cut into 5cm slices
1 clove garlic
l carrot, cut into chunks
1 zucchini, cut into chunks
1 turnip, cut into chunks
1 stick celery, cut into chunks
100g dry soup mix, rinsed  - I like just plain pearl barley here too. (soak overnight for best results)
1 litre chicken stock
4 large chicken drumsticks, skin removed or chicken thigh fillets can be used
Handful chopped parsley
S & P to taste

Preparation:
Heat the oil in the TM bowl 2 mins/varoma temp/speed 1.
Add vegies and chop for 4 seconds/speed 6. Don't worry if there are still a few chunky bits, they can be chopped later.
Cook 5 mins/varoma temp/reverse/speed 1.
Add stock, dry soup mix and the chicken legs (bone up).
Cook 40mins/100o/reverse/speed 1.
Remove chicken legs, take the meat off the bone and chop into large dice.  Return it to the bowl and continue cooking soup for 15 mins/100o/reverse/speed 1.
Mix parsley through and add S & P to taste.
Suitable to freeze.

Photos:

members' comments Popular recipe

Chookie -  Didn't have any chicken legs,  so used thighs with out bones and added them in the last 10 mins.

Cookie - I didn't have any thighs so used a small chicken breast cut up finely. I also used vegetable stock as once more that was all I had. The chicken broke up and shredded and was lovely. The soup has a wonderful flavour.

Ceee -  I tried this one with chicken necks and two legs, used my freshly made (for the first time) vegetable stock concentrate from the EDC and it was lovely, had a really lovely flavour!

CP - tried this again with the leek that I forgot to put in last time. wow! it does make a difference. this soup was even better this time because the last time I chopped the vegies too small and neatly and they were too tiny. I like chunkier better.

earth mumma -  The first time I had a problem with the drumsticks getting caught under the blades.  I get a little worried about my blade as not too long ago they broke so I tried them in the basket with the veggies and soup mix underneath. It worked fine in the basket - although I did have to tip off some of the liquid - which I poured back in when I added the meat back in. I was able to fit 6 drumsticks in the basket nicely.

cathy79 - Lovely, adaptable recipe.  I used different vegies to use up what I had, and what we couldn't eat.  Added cauliflower and used silverbeet stalks instead of celery. Excellent cheap meal - 4 drumsticks fed 4 people!

Merlin - Made this and even my husband who is very fussy about food said it was delicious. Also, fantastic way to use up leftover bits of veggies in fridge. The way I cooked it was with leftover roast chicken. I reduced the overall cooking time as the chicken was obviously  cooked already and I just deboned the chook and took the skin off. I added the chicken after 15 minutes of cooking time and overall used about 30 minutes cooking time to make sure the vegetables and chicken were well cooked through  As I use gluten free pasta I added GF angel hair pasta about 3 minutes before the end of cooking time and the final result was magnificent. Thanks again- I could almost feel the therapeutic benefits of the soup occurring whilst we were all devouring it!

Zan - I made a very similar soup last week. Chopped a clove of garlic, added a small onion and chopped, sauteed, added carrot, celery, zucchini, 1 potato and chopped (just a few seconds, so still some good sized chunks). Added homemade chicken stock, chili flakes, parsley, coriander, soup mix, chicken (cooked shredded). cooked 40 mins, speed 1, reverse, 100 degrees.

KarenH - I used chicken thighs, diced finely and added with 10 minutes left to go.  I also added a can of corn kernels at the end - just because the kids love corn - but they are really yummy in the soup.

maddy - Yum. I used 2 carrots, the whole leek and 650g chopped chicken thighs. I added the chicken in for 15 minutes, like instructed by recipe,  if using the drumsticks. Added in 3Tbsp. of cornflour with water for last 5 minutes of cooking.

Katiej - it was lovely!  Everyone enjoyed it. A great recipe JD, thank you. I was even able to use the turnip I've had for ages, after receiving it in our weekly organic vegie box.  I've not a huge turnip fan and never no what to do with them.

Hally - What a great recipe, really delicious and good for the budget. Made this for my lunches for the week.

JulieO - it's delicious! I used 5 chicken drumsticks as that was what I had in my pack.  They fit in with no problems. Will def add more veg next time as there's enough liquid to handle it. I also added a cube of Umami paste and a sprinkling of chicken stock granules.  Feel like it's done me good.

MF - Loved it and will be a regular in our household. Very tasty.

GF -  little surprised that I had all the ingredients on hand.  Used three chicken thighs and a parsnip instead of a turnip - but it was just a marvellous soup.

CC - Lovely soup, enjoyed by us all.

ES - I made this with pearl barley and chicken thighs. I chopped the chicken into large chunks which largely stayed intact. I hadn't defrosted the chicken before I started, so the chicken didn't cook in the soup as long as the recipe stated, but it was cooked though. I seasoned it with some celery salt and a few dried herbs. Chicken soup was welcome in our family tonight as we have a good dose of winter coughs and colds.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:22:10 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Chicken & Vegie Soup
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:06:40 am »
this will be lunch tomorrow i think, but i wish it was today...
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 06:41:27 am »
JD,  thanks for this.  I will make this to feed the Painters,  and they will think it all my own work. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 08:09:52 am »
Don't feed them too well Chookie, they will never want to move onto the next job!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 11:29:47 am »
Coles didn't have any leeks today, so then I went to Woollies. Got home starving, and thought I would knock up the soup. Five minutes before it finished cooking I saw the leek still sitting there on the bench  :o :o :o Still tasted delish but I keep wondering if only....   (next time  ;))
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 12:09:25 pm »
Oh dear CP63, I think that has happened to most of us at some stage.  Was that you I heard cursing  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:15:22 pm »
Love soups- especially yours JD. The ingredients are always so appealing and now the pictures are just the icing on the cake.  :-*
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 11:59:59 pm »
Thank you VJ, appreciate the compliment  :-* :-*

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 08:38:14 am »
Thanks Judy. This is just what the doctor ordered for DD. We'll be having some to9o of course.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Carrie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 09:43:11 am »
Oh yum, thanks! I love soups, this will be my lunch tomorrow. :D
Mama at home with my 4yo additive sensitive son, feeding family of 3 and a furbaby easily with my Thermie.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 02:12:01 am »
Thanks JD - great for our wintery days  :-* :-* :-* :-*

CP63 - sounds like a Masterchef moment  :-\ :-\
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:25:53 am »
Thanks for this healthy and tasty soup JD.    I made it yesterday,  for tea tonight as we were going to be out all day.   Didn't have any chicken legs,  so used thighs with out bones and added them in the last 10 mins.   By the time it had reheated tonight the thighs were cooked to perfection.     The painters will enjoy the rest tomorrow.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 11:53:33 am »
Glad you enjoyed it Chookie. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:09 am »
I made this yesterday and we loved it. I didn't have any thighs so used a small chicken breast cut up finely. I also used vegetable stock as once more that was all I had. The chicken broke up and shredded and was lovely. The soup has a wondereful flavour. Thanks JD. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 10:07:22 am »
My pleasure Cookie.