Author Topic: Mmn Marshmallow Crunch  (Read 9879 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Mmn Marshmallow Crunch
« on: May 23, 2010, 07:01:54 am »
Base
4 breakfast cereal biscuits (Weetbix)
100g brown sugar
85g coconut
150g plain flour
1 1/2  tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cream tartar
1/2 tsp salt
155g butter, melted
3 tablespoons raspberry (or other) jam

Base:
Preheat oven 175 degrees. Prepare slice pan.
Crush biscuits in TM bowl for 4 seconds, Speed 3. Add remaining ingredients (except jam)
and mix for 20 seconds, Speed 3 .
Bake in moderate oven 20-25 minutes or until base is firm; cool.

When base is cold, spread with jam, then quickly spread marshmallow over. Sprinkle some dessicated coconut over the top.
Put in fridge to set, when marshmallow is set, cut into squares with a knife dipped in hot water.

Marshmallow Topping:[/b]
Put 220g raw sugar in TM bowl and mill for 3 seconds, Speed 9.
Add 230g water and 1 1/2 tsp gelatine over and then cook for 5 mins, 100 degrees, Speed 3.
Then while heat is slowly coming down, 5 mins, Speed 3.

Leave the mixture to cool (will take over an hour).
With MC off - add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and beat until thick and fluffy 8 mins, Speed 6.

Tip: the marshmallow takes a while to cool down, so towards the end you can put in the fridge to speed up the process. The mixture should be thick and creamy looking, and will set when you put it in the fridge upon completion.

members' comments

Debbiebillg - marshmallow wouldn't set.  I decided to have a play, after all it was either save or bin it !  Before I picked my son up, I mixed two teaspoons of gelatine in a cup with some hot water.  I then tipped this into the rest of the mix and gave it another mix with the hand mixer.  It didn't seem to do much, but I left it sit (fed up with it lol) and went to get my son.  When I came back it had set hmmm.  So I gave it another mix which thinned it to be able to pour, then tipped it over the slice and put it in the fridge.  What do you know it set !!! It's not quite as fluffy but at least it's not a gooey mess. Thanks heaps.

CP - I'm glad it worked in the end. Notes added to the recipe to ensure success with the topping.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:47:13 am by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Re: Mmn Marshmallow Crunch
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 07:21:00 am »
Ooh! One of my all time favourites! Thanks for converting CP63! ;D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 07:29:48 am »
Creampuff, used to make these for the kids ages ago.  They loved them,  Thanks for posting.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 08:10:57 am »
Mum used to make something similar for us - I don't remember hers having the jam but that will be delicious. Thanks CP63
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 06:43:01 am »
Thanks CP63 - great conversion.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 04:44:21 am »
I decided to make this today for the kids while they're all out at school and kindy ! Well umm base has gone well but the marshmallow mixture won't beat up to light and fluffy.  It stays as a thickish liquid.  I took it out of the TMX and put it in a bowl and mixed with the hand mixture just in case that would help, to no avail. Not sure if this is relevant but I did 1 1/2 times mixture to fit my slice tin. 

So now I have a base sitting waiting for marshmallow, and a bowl of runny stuff lol.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to rescue or should I start again or (risking it may happen again, but it takes so long to get to the beating stage sooooo not keen on this)  ??????  hmmmmmm

Pleassssssssseeee help, I don't know what to do with it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 04:56:14 am »
I'd just pour it over the base and pop it into the fridge Debbie, it should set in there eventually.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 05:45:36 am »
Can't Judy the kids would make one heck of a mess with it.  I'm thinking of making a chocolate icing for the base or buying a packet of marshmallows and melting them lol.  I've got to go pick up the kids shortly, so not much time.
Thanks anyway,
Debbie

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 05:56:10 am »
Not sure if this is relevant but I did 1 1/2 times mixture to fit my slice tin. 

I think this is likely to be the problemo.

Perhaps pour some of the mix into another bowl, and just make the recipe as per normal and then pour over the base. Then make up the residual to pour over. Let us know how you got on.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 07:17:30 am »
CP63, well I decided to have a play lol, afterall it was either save or bin it !  Before I picked my son up, I mixed two teaspoons of gelatine in a cup with some hot water.  I then tipped this into the rest of the mix and gave it another mix with the hand mixer.  It didn't seem to do much, but I left it sit (fed up with it lol) and went to get my son.  When I came back it had set hmmm.  So I gave it another mix which thinned it to be able to pour, then tipped it over the slice and put it in the fridge.  What do you know it set !!! It's not quite as fluffy but at least it's not a gooey mess.
Thanks heaps.
Debbie

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 07:29:30 am »
I'm glad it worked in the end. I find that the marshmallow mix really has to cool down a lot before it will whip up. I know I have sometimes made a note on the side of a marshmallow recipe to make this first.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 10:15:49 am »
Thanks CP63, I put it in the fridge to cool, it wasn't chilled but it was definately cold.  Would it have been better to chill it do you think ?

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 11:28:08 am »
it usually takes about an hour to cool down, and sometime toward the end you could pop it in the fridge. it definitely doesn't like being beaten whilst warm