Author Topic: Pumpkin Spiced Rice  (Read 14298 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Pumpkin Spiced Rice
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:30:31 am »
Pumpkin Spiced Rice.
This is an attractive looking dish. It can be served hot or cold, and can be prepared the previous day. It has little or no fat, depending on how you cook the pumpkin.
The recipe makes 6 generous serves at 225 calories per serve if the pumpkin is steamed.

570g. pumpkin
1 medium onion
2 large cloves of garlic
1 heaped teaspoon of curry powder
1 cup of uncooked rice
2 Tablespoons of currants or craisins
1/4 cup of toasted slivered almonds
1 cup of baby spinach leaves
2 Tablespoons of chicken stock

Cut pumpkin into 2cm. dice and steam in Varoma until cooked, or spray with oil and roast in oven. Set aside.
Cook rice in TMX, set aside.
Put onion and garlic in TMX bowl and zap until chopped. Scrape down sides and add chicken stock. Cook on varoma for 5 mins., gentle reverse. Add curry powder and zap to mix in.
Place everything in a large bowl and turn the mixture over to mix together, Make sure the onion mixture is well incorporated.
Sprinkle the almonds over the top and serve.

If preparing for the next day, and you wish to serve it hot, then don't stir in the spinach leaves until it is reheated. It reheats well in the Microwave.

I used some Wild rice and white rice. You could use brown rice if preferred.

Members' comments

JD: I made this earlier in the day and as per Chookie's suggestion, left the spinach leaves out until I reheated it.  I did sprinkle it with toasted almond slivers but only remembered them after I'd taken the picture and begun eating my meal  
I made 1/2 quantity - 2 sides for me.  Whilst the rice was cooking in the TMX I cooked the oil sprayed 2 cm pieces of pumpkin in a preheated 200o air fryer for 10 minutes in the base of the wire basket.  It would have been ready 2 minutes before that though as it was a tad dark by the time I checked on it (but not a burnt taste in the finished dish).
I reheated the rice in a shallow dish placed in the varoma tray whilst the salmon was cooking below in the varoma dish (12 minutes/varoma temp/speed 3 with 600 mls boiling water)

Lisa.wheeler: I'm guessing to make this a vegetarian meal you would replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock

JD: Chookie has used a weight watching method of sauteeing the onion and garlic here but you could also use a little oil and of course, veggie stock instead of chicken stock (liquid stock not veggie stock concentrate).  

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:48:46 pm by Cornish Cream »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pumpkin Spiced Rice
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:10:02 am »
I like the sound of this. The toner cartridge in the printer has died so I'm making a list of things I need to print. I can't be bothered gooing out today to get one.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 05:16:56 am »
Cookie, Been thinking of you and the fires around Perth.   Hope you are OK.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 06:21:14 am »
I was listening to the news on the way home from the shops today so I was too Cookie. This is not the first lot of fires for you over there this year is it? 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 03:34:02 am »
Thanks Ladies. No we have had quite a few fires round. This lot are really horrid. Over 60 homes gone so far and about 30 damaged to some degree. Most of that fire is under control now thank goodness.
It is up in the hills from us. All the bush is so dry as we have had so little rain this year. I'm not sure if we have any forum members in Roleystone or Kelmscott but if we do my thoughts are with you. :-* :-*

Offline lisa.wheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 11:59:34 pm »
I'm guessing to make this a vegetarian meal you would replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 01:53:07 am »
Hi lisa, welcome to the forum with your first posting.  Chookie has used a weight watching method of sauteeing the onion and garlic here but you could also use a little oil and of course, veggie stock instead of chicken stock (liquid stock not veggie stock concentrate).  Chookie is away at the moment so I'm sure she won't mind me answering on her behalf.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:29:30 am »
I made this recipe today as part of the current challenge on the forum and to accompany Chookie's Sweet Chilli Salmon.

I made this earlier in the day and as per Chookie's suggestion, left the spinach leaves out until I reheated it.  I did sprinkle it with toasted almond slivers but only remembered them after I'd taken the picture and begun eating my meal  ;D

I made 1/2 quantity - 2 sides for me.  Whilst the rice was cooking in the TMX I cooked the oil sprayed 2 cm pieces of pumpkin in a preheated 200o air fryer for 10 minutes in the base of the wire basket.  It would have been ready 2 minutes before that though as it was a tad dark by the time I checked on it (but not a burnt taste in the finished dish).

I reheated the rice in a shallow dish placed in the varoma tray whilst the salmon was cooking below in the varoma dish (12 minutes/varoma temp/speed 3 with 600 mls boiling water)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 12:38:52 pm »
I love how this challenge is reminding us of all these recipes. I have forgotten about so many of them.