Author Topic: Confit of Garlic  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Confit of Garlic
« on: November 16, 2015, 08:03:45 pm »
When Confit of Garlic was mentioned in another post today I decided that I should chase down the recipe and give it a try.  I found a recipe on Tenina's blog and will follow that one, but I am confused by the following:

"Separate garlic cloves from the oil and use separately or together.

Garlic will keep well if submerged in oil in a sterilised jar in the fridge. The oil will solidify so is not pourable from the fridge. It is safe to keep strained oil in the pantry."

Can you keep the garlic in a jar without oil, or can you only keep it submerged in oil?  What does everyone else do?  Judy, I recall at some time in the past you sent me a recipe for confit of garlic, but I cannot find it anywhere and cannot recall if it was Tenina's or a different one.  Can any 'confit' makers help me.

Ta.

Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Confit of Garlic
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 08:18:47 pm »
I keep the confit of garlic submerged in the oil and put the remaining oil in a bottle for cooking.
Photos can be found here posted by forum members.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:13:30 pm »
Just read all the posts on your link CC.  I still think the recipe is unclear as to whether we should use fresh garlic oil over the cloves or the oil in which we cooked them.  I do the latter as everyone else seems to do.  The bigger the cloves the better I find, especially if you want to give a jar or two away. It's the smaller cloves which break down during the long cooking time so if all your cloves are small perhaps it would be a good idea to keep an eye on them and reduce the cooking time to compensate for their size.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 12:40:29 am »
I was very sad on returning from holidays my last lot had mould growing around the top of the jar. I threw them out.
I always put fresh oil on the confit garlic and bottle my garlic oil seperately.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:43:00 am »
How old were they Denise, mine last many months.  I've wondered if what you do with the oil is what we all should be doing.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 12:45:39 am »
That was my interpretation of Tenina's recipe Judy. My garlic wasn't very old.  I think I need to wipe my jars better, it has happened to a few of my condiments. I have a samsung French dour fridge and think it's quite moist air.
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:05:17 am »
When I do my confit of garlic I pour all the garlic and oil into sterilised bottles. It seems to last for ages and ages. I really love it. When I have used all the garlic I use the oil in anything I want a subtle garlic flavour.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 08:06:48 am »
I made Confit of Garlic last week, loving it, I covered the garlic with the cooked oil, I have been using heaps of it and the oil I've cooked potatoes with it all week. I cook the potatoes , sliced or halved in  the microwave, just put a little garlic oil over and cook in the airfryer or on the BB Q , delicious.  I sterilize my jars and bottles in the microwave.  I was so lucky at our fruit and Veg store I bought a kilo of peeled garlic for $4.99.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 08:39:53 am »
I have been wondering about this for ages so thank you for all these ideas. When I find some good Australian garlic I plan to make this. It should be in the shops soon here in WA. Its not in my local ones though.

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 11:52:08 am »
I must get more jars so I can do this!

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 11:34:00 am »
I always kept the garlic submerged in the oil I cooked it in and lasts for ages.  I only just got some fresh garlic on the weekend from the market that I should do this again.