Author Topic: Low fructose chocolate marshmallow slice  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
Low fructose chocolate marshmallow slice
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:59:27 pm »
On my blog I've been experimenting with a few low-fructose TM recipes.  This one makes a chocolate marshmallow slice.  Here's the link to the blog and I've pasted the whole recipe below  http://thermochoc.com.au/2012/08/10/low-fructose-chocolate-marshmallow-slice/

I devised this recipe because I love the taste of chocolate teacakes, such as Arnott’s Royals in Australia or Tunnock’s teacakes in the UK. I sometimes make this recipe in the teacake shape, but making it as a slice is much easier.

This is a low fructose recipe, for reasons I explain on my blog.  To make it as a normal sugar version, use the amounts indicated in brackets.

Biscuit base

80g flour
80g almond meal
50g glucose powder (or 50g sugar)
130g butter, cold and in small chunks

Put everything in the TM and mix on speed 7 for 20 seconds, which will turn it onto a paste. Push the paste into a very lightly buttered 30cmx20cm cake tray, using a palette knife to spread it evenly and bake for 12 mins at 190c, or until it starts to brown.

Raspberry jam

300g frozen raspberries
45g glucose powder (or 60g sugar)
1 sheet titanium gelatin

Put the raspberries and glucose into TM and cook for 12 mins, 100 degrees, speed 2. At the same time, put the gelatin sheet in cold water. After 5 minutes, put the gelatin sheet through the MC hole, first shaking off all the water.

Once it’s cooked, pour through a sieve into a bowl and cool in the fridge. Then spread on top of the biscuit base.

Marshmallow

140g egg whites (4 large eggs)
320g glucose powder (or 200g light corn syrup and 80g sugar, or 300g glucose syrup and only add 60g water)
100g water
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch salt
3 sheets titanium gelatin

Heat glucose powder and water in a small saucepan up to 119c.
When it gets to about 110c, start beating egg whites and pinch of salt in TM, using butterfly on speed 3.
At same time, soak gelatin sheets in cold water.
When the sugar reaches 119c, slowly pour it into the TM (make sure the egg whites have turned white by this stage) and then turn up to speed 5.
Put gelatin into the empty but still hot saucepan along with a few drops of water to dissolve it, turn pour it into TM.
As the mix starts to cool and thicken, after about 12 minutes, pour in vanilla essence.
Once the mix has cooled, about another 3-4 minutes of beating, pour it on top of the jam and level out using a palette knife or spatula.
Cover with plastic wrap and leave to cool overnight.
(I used David Lebovitz’s marshmallow recipe as the base for this recipe)

Ganache
150g dark chocolate (I use Green & Black’s 85%)
120g cream (35% fat)
30g glucose powder (or remove this and use 50/50 sweeter chocolate to cream)

Break the chocolate into small pieces by hand and then crush it in a dry TM on speed 6 for 5 seconds, and then put to one side.
Heat the cream and glucose powder on 70 degrees, speed 2 for 5 minutes.
Add back the chocolate and heat on 50 degrees, speed 3 for 5 minutes, scraping down after 3 minutes.
Finish by blitzing on speed 7 for 30 seconds, scraping down each 10 seconds.

The ganache will be too hot to pour straight onto the marshmallow, so either let it cool for 10 mins with the TM bowl sitting out of the TM, or pour the ganache into a separate bowl to cool it more quickly. Then, using a spoon, gently pour the ganache onto the marshmallow, using a palette knife to smooth the top.

Let set for about an hour and then use a hot knife to slice it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:03:06 am by Jonathon »

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Low fructose chocolate marshmallow slice
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 12:01:34 am »
This sounds really nice, would love to see a photo.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:11:48 am »
I love Chocolate Royals so I am sure that I will like this.  Thanks for posting Jonathon.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 01:18:59 am »
What a great recipe Jonathon, I just love that you have given the normal sugar variation for some of us.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 12:40:20 pm »
This sounds delicious. I like the idea of using gelatine to set the raspberry layer instead of raspberry jam or similar.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 07:10:00 am »
Please note I made a mistake in the original post, the biscuit base uses glucose powder, not fructose.

There's a pic on my website, http://thermochoc.com.au/2012/08/10/low-fructose-chocolate-marshmallow-slice/