Author Topic: HELP - Rendang that will blow my head off!!  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
HELP - Rendang that will blow my head off!!
« on: October 16, 2011, 05:00:58 am »
I've just made what looks and smells like a fantastic Beef Rendang but have put way too many chilli's in and I think it will be too hot to eat. I've just put it in the slow cooker after preparing it all in the TMX, does anyone have any ideas on how I can tone down the chilli?

Bonsai

Re: HELP - Rendang that will blow my head off!!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 05:43:19 am »
Hi Wonder - I think we've all made that mistake on occasions!  Adding yogurt might help, and the flavour is often toned down when it is eaten as part of a meal with rice/veges etc so the rendang is diluted with other flavours.

If it is really of the 'paint stripper' hotness I suppose you could (if you have time) cook up another batch of rendang without chilis and mix the hot one through - freeze extra for another day.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 06:12:11 am »
Thanks Fiona, I'll try the yogurt unfortunately I don't have any more of the ingredients needed to make another batch.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 07:10:17 am »
I read somewhere once that added large diced potato and cooking for 15 mins and then discarding the potato takes the heat out of it. Also something about tomatoes reduces heat from chillis. Not sure how true either one is. I would probably go with the potatoes first as I know that this works for other things. Hope it helps. Nothing worse than a ruined rendang.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:34:25 am »
Some interesting ideas on here Wonder.

I liked the sound of this one -

"I have stirred in a couple tablespoons of smooth peanut butter to cut the heat. Sounds strange, but it seems to work, and doesn't alter the taste (gives a little depth to the flavor). It also makes the chili a little creamier, if that makes sense."

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 07:35:59 am »
You could add carrot or tomatoes as this should sweeten the dish and help take the heat out. Coconut milk is another excellent way to reduce the heat .
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!