Author Topic: Can the TM make sauerkraut?  (Read 15921 times)

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
Can the TM make sauerkraut?
« on: March 30, 2012, 02:38:57 am »
Hello everyone. I made sauerkraut by hand, shredding the cabbage then pounding it. Unfortunately,  I have neck and arm problems and found it very difficult and I was very sore afterwards. >:(

So, that brings me to my question, has anyone tried making saukrauet in the thermomix?

Thanks in anticipation!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can the TM make sauerkraut?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:58:37 am »
Elle, I couldn't find anything in my books or on the net but this recipe from H.O. for sauerkraut may interest you (just scroll down to find it).  The cabbage is shredded by hand though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 03:46:54 am »
Thanks, Judy. You are so kind and helpful always! unfortunately, I had seen that recipe and it seems to miss a step. I followed Sally Fallon in

Nourishing Traditions and she states to pound the cabbage until the liquid covers the cabbage. I just can't see how the cabbage would just

'leak' and cover itself.  I suppose I can try next time, and see if it does work. :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:27:00 am »
Don't you have to leave sauerkraut to ferment for days/weeks? My ma in law used to make the best sauerkraut when she was sane.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:43:30 am »
Dad used to make it too...and it did sit for at least 2-3weeks from memory  ???
I know he had a huge ceramic pot, and weighted it down with a clean brick.
As for thermomixing it....you would only get it chopped.....not sure if a processor with a slice disk would be more helpful?
......or pull in a favour and get someone else to chop it for you  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!

mcmich

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 09:48:27 am »
My Oma would usually leave it for at least a week. As Thermomix is a German product, I would have thought there would be a converted recipe.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:14:16 pm »
Thanks for the replies :) I have never seen it made and certainly have no memory of family traditions. Can I ask, did your families shred then pound the cabbage? I have shredded up a small piece this afternoon and have left it covered on the bench - so far only about a teas of fluid (following the recipe on the TM forum that Judy suggested). So, it doesnt look like it will work without the pounding.

I will keep looking to see a TM recipe. Sally Fallon is the expert I follow and she says 3 to 5 days on the bench then refrigerate. The longer it is kept the better is the flavour.

On a positive note we tried a small amount of the sauerkraut (day 3 today) - a little too salty, but tasted good. My DH will be making the next lot ;D

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 10:25:55 am »
ElleG, I made Sauerkraut quite a few years ago, and I didn't have to pound it, just shred it and if I remember layered it in a stone crock with salt and a few spices, then put the lid on with a weight and left it for a period of time, then had to mix it. It was nice when finished, but I can't remember where I got the recipe from. You need to slice the cabbage thinly so I used a Vslicer. Will try to remember where I got the recipe from and hunt it down.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:18:46 pm »
Thanks Pumpkin Pie, that's very nice of you.  The cabbage I shredded yesterday just seemed to dry out so I threw it out this morning. I am thinking that the cabbage must need pounding or being crushed by a weight to successfully make sauerkraut.

On a positive note, the sauerkraut is very spicy and the strong salt flavour seems to be settling. I will try and leave it longer before we eat it.
And DH has the job of making cabbage into KImchi next time. :)

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 01:57:04 pm »
ElleG, I think this was the recipe I used. Whilst the recipe was for 22.5kg cabbage :-\ I broke it down into batches of 2.5kg lots of cabbage, depends on  how much cabbage you have, but basically  shred 2.5kg Cabbage with a shredder, Place in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 3 tabspns of salt, Mix thoroughly with your hands or a stainless steel spoon. Wash and scald a large crock with boiling water. Pack the salted cabbage, batch by batch, into the crock. Juices will form as you pack and press the cabbage down. repeat until the crock is full, ( by pressing it is really just packing the cabbage in tight). Make sure the juice covers the cabbage. If not, make up additional brine by mixing 1 1/2 tab salt with 1 litre boiling water. cool before using. Now the cabbage needs to be covered and weighted down, to keep it submerged in the brine, and seal the surface of the brine from the air. Fermentation should begin the following day and at a room temp of around 24c it should take 3 weeks, 21c 4 weeks, and 18c 5 weeks etc,  by this time the bubbling should have stopped. Store in the fridge.
Part of this recipe is taken from: The Good Cook/Techniques and Recipes/Preserving,  cook book by Time Life Books.
ElleG, Carraway seed (not too much) is also nice sprinkled in with this.

Offline ElleG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:58:03 pm »
Thanks very much  Pumpkin pie. Interesting how different the recipe is. I have saved it for next time.  :)