Author Topic: Cream Puffs Choux Pastry  (Read 53410 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Cream Puffs Choux Pastry
« on: August 01, 2010, 10:12:21 am »
After much trial and error, I think that I have finally nailed Choux Pastry in the TM  ;D ;D ;D

Ingredients:
60g butter
270g water
150g plain flour
3 Extra Large eggs, beaten

Method:
Preheat oven to 200o-230o.
Place water and butter into TM bowl and cook for 5:30 minutes at 100o, Speed 2.
Add the flour and mix for 30 seconds on Speed 4, or until you see the pastry coming away from the sides of the bowl.  
Spread mixture up sides of TM bowl with spatula and cool approx 5 minutes.
Once the mixture is cool, add beaten eggs one at a time onto rotating blades for 30-50 seconds, Speed 5.
Either pipe mixture onto tray, or place rounded spoonfuls onto greased trays.
Bake in hot oven for 10 minutes, and then reduce heat to moderate oven (180o-200o) and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and crisp.
Remove from oven, make a small slit in side of puffs to allow steam to escape.
Return to oven for about 20 minutes to dry out with the oven door slightly ajar, and oven turned off.

Serving Suggestion:
Fill with Creme Patissere p155 EDC and drizzle with chocolate, or fill with whipped cream and sprinkle liberally with icing sugar. Bon Appetit  ;D

Members' comments

JulieO - My profiteroles were a success, though I still had to tweak a little.
After turning off the oven and leaving in there for 20 mins with door ajar, when I took them out they were going soft so I made the slits bigger and scooped out any uncooked dough, turned on the oven again to hot and put them back in for 10-12 mins.  After this time they were perfect, a real crispy shell.
I didn't make the creme patisserie just in case they didn't turn out so just filled with lightly sweetened cream and a dusting of icing sugar and they were really good.  I put them in the fridge uncovered and a few hours later they were still crisp.
Even though the recipe didn't state it I left the MC off during cooking to allow steam and condensation to escape and even after 5 mins of 'cooling' time the bowl and mix was still quite hot, so I put the bowl in the fridge for about 3 mins, then proceeded with recipe.
It was so easy to do and I want to make again soon just to enforce that I've got it right and take a bit more care on the shaping of the dough as I put it on the trays.  May even try piping, would like to try making into eclairs for a change.
Thanks CP for your tweaking of the recipe that has helped to make making them in the TM a success.

Chookie - CP, these are absolutely amazing.  I have just made a batch,  a bit rough looking,  my fault not yours.  They are light and crispy.   I will ice them with coffee icing and fill with sweetened cream,  for DH,  and mine will have raspberry jam and cream in the centre and dusted with icing sugar.  

Caroline J -  they were so easy and such a hit!  Injected the puffs with a 10ml syringe, done in a jiffy. Thanks for the recipe.
Made small slits with a sharp knife, then after they are finished cooking inject the chocolate custard into the slit with the syringe.  Then I cover the slit with melted chocolate, so it's not visible. They were fabulous!

Chelsea - Mine looked lovely and didn't sink but were really uncooked in the middle (even after extra cooking and drying time). I talked to my Mum on the phone tonight (our family's unofficial cream puff expert) and as soon as I said they were uncooked in the middle she asked me if the mixture was really thick.  Of course it was!!!  I should have added another egg in.  My Mum's foolproof stovetop recipe calls for 3 extra large eggs or 4 large/standard eggs (with similar quantities of other ingredients) and I think this recipe probably requires the same.

VHJ - they were fantastic. I had extra large eggs so just used the recipe number but still cooked them a little bit longer. I piped a couple and  made Chocolate eclairs for DS2. Instant good mother points. Thanks for this recipe CP. Gotta love a good cream puff.

the vermins - This was SO easy to make! Made them too big, but that's ok.  Next time I'm going to make smaller ones perhaps a heaped teaspoon size.  Hubby used them as a cake for my birthday. He filled them with custard and topped them with nutella.  I like!!

Wonder - I'm thinking of making a tower of these for my daughters birthday - how far in advance could I make them (without filling) and keep in an airtight container or freeze?

CP - This is what I found on the web:
UNFILLED PUFFS:
Refrigerator: If thoroughly baked, unfilled cream puffs may be refrigerated for a couple of days, but it does stale quickly, so I recommend freezing, instead. Before refrigerating, you'll first want to cut them open and remove the strands of dough to prevent sogginess. Wrap all puffs individually after they have cooled and before freezing. Place them is a resealable plastic bag being careful not to put too many in at once.
Freezer: If you have more dough than you need or want to make them in advance, bake all of it and freeze the finished puffs for up to 3 months (best at one month) and an airtight container and keep away from freezer odours. There's no need to cut cream puffs open or remove the strands of dough before freezing. Thaw at room temperature. To crisp, unwrap and place in a 325 degree F oven until warm. Let cool and fill as desired.

Chookie - CP63,  this recipe is brilliant.  I have said I would make mini Eclairs for a charity function.  I need to make 120. I did a test run and 1 recipe made 16, using a piping bag.  Could I make double the mixture?  Would appreciate any advice.

Wonder - How do I get these to keep a good eclair shape? They looked fantastic when I piped them but now that they are cooking they are very misshapen. I've kept the unfilled pastries for up to a week in a sealed container. You can crisp them up again in the oven for a few minutes in the oven if needed.

CP - yes they do have a tendency to puff out in the least unexpected places. I like to put these ones aside and eat them myself before putting the others on display. You can either use 2 spoons to make a neat shape when placing on the baking tray, or pipe them on.
Apparently you can even freeze the shaped dough and bake it, still frozen, at the last minute.

Chookie - When piped they hold their shape better.

Wonder - Well I've now piped two quantities and they are still puffing up all over the place. I'm sure they will taste good just don't look how I would like them to. The second lot I piped very small eclair shapes and scraped them with a fork as in a few tube videos and they work better but still not perfect, now for the icing. Do I just use melted chocolate or add a little cream to it?

Cookie - I use straight chocolate.

Wonder - Well after two attempts I managed to get quite a few that passed as rough mini eclairs and a lot of misshapen ones that I gave away filled with cream and smothered in chocolate. The mini ones were quite diddly but everyone loved them. I also filled a few with Tenina's lemon curd which disappeared first.

Denzelmum - My first attempt went well.  Need more practice to do the filling neatly.

SuzieG - We were lucky enough to go to a patisserie class in Paris recently where we made petit choux by traditional method so I was excited to give it a go in the Thermie.
Recipe was great.  I accidentally beat the three eggs together, but tried to add a third at a time.
I also stick bowl in fridge for a few minutes to cool mixture before adding eggs.
My end result was quite firm and I had trouble piping it - piping bag busted! (although I'm not an expert piper by any means and it  could have been operator or plastic bag fault)
I also made by puffs a little too small.
Cheated and filled with remade whipped cream in the cans (from ww) and topped with melted chocolate.
Tasted pretty good, they are all gone!!
Will def make again, thank you.

kezza - I piped mixture onto an éclair baking tray I bought a while ago but hadn't used.  They held their shape really well despite my dodgy piping.  I filled with cream and iced with drinking chocolate icing which my friends prefer to a dark chocolate topping as it is sweeter.   

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:00:21 am by judydawn »
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cream Puffs Choux Pastry
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 01:46:07 pm »
They look lovely CP63.  I only ever made the recipe from the EDC once - they looked fantastic to start with but went soggy very quickly and a good cream puff does not do that.  I think the secret is having the oven hotter to start with like you have said and also slitting them at the end of cooking.  Will now replace that recipe with this one and feel more confident when I have another go at them.   :-* :-* :-* thanks so much.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 02:23:09 pm »
Lovely looking Cream Puffs,CP63.They were a firm favourite with my Dad and Cream Horns. Clever lady to get a tricky pastry to perfection  :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:32:21 pm »
They look perfect CP.  I too had trouble like Judy, so will replace the recipe with yours, thanks so much for sharing.  :D

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 03:56:17 pm »
Fantastic CP63. Love Cream Puffs. ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Online cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 07:30:55 am »
Thanks CP63. I love cream puffs, especially with a chocolate pouring sauce over them.

Cornish Cream my Dad loved cream puffs too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 08:14:35 am »
Good work CP63 - new Avatar ? 
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:34:54 am »
I am so happy to have finally got this perfect as the EDC recipe always flopped. Its only taken about 5 dozen eggs  :D but I will make them more regularly now.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 09:28:01 am »
CP,  thanks for this recipe,  DH loves Cream Puffs so will have a go.   Also the chooks are laying well at the moment so have plenty of eggs ;D ;D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 11:58:19 am »
let me know how they go chookie   8)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:34:15 pm »
Something our DH's have in common Chookie.  These are something that my DH will eat and if I could make them half as good as his sister does by hand, I'd be happy  :P :P  Somehow I think this recipe of CP63's will be the one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 05:25:37 am »
I've got some baking in the oven right now, they are looking great, hope they turn out for me.  ;D

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 01:02:10 am »
My profiteroles were a success, though I still had to tweak a little.

After turning off the oven and leaving in there for 20 mins with door ajar, when I took them out they were going soft so I made the slits bigger and scooped out any uncooked dough, turned on the oven again to hot and put them back in for 10-12 mins.  After this time they were perfect, a real crispy shell.  ;D

I didn't make the creme patisserie just in case they didn't turn out so just filled with lightly sweetened cream and a dusting of icing sugar and they were really good.  I put them in the fridge uncovered and a few hours later they were still crisp.

Even though the recipe didn't state it I left the MC off during cooking to allow steam and condensation to escape and even after 5 mins of 'cooling' time the bowl and mix was still quite hot, so I put the bowl in the fridge for about 3 mins, then proceeded with recipe.

It was so easy to do and I want to make again soon just to enforce that I've got it right and take a bit more care on the shaping of the dough as I put it on the trays.  May even try piping, would like to try making into eclairs for a change,

Thanks CP for your tweaking of the recipe that has helped to make making them in the TM a success.  :D

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 04:20:35 am »
I'm so pleased that you had success JO.

When I took mine out of the oven they were actually golden and crispy in the sense that the sides were slightly browned as well and they had crispened to a point where there was a "slight hardening" of the pastry. Thats why I underlined "golden and crispy" because the crisper/harder shell prevents them from deflating. They probably need a total time of at least 30 minutes in the oven cooking, but its best to check depending on your oven and the size of the puff. What you did in scooping out any soft dough at that point was correct if the outer shell was cooked.

Oh its happy days when you can bite into a nice cream puff  :D mmn mmn

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 05:00:04 am »
Oh you are so right CP.  ;D  Yes, I think with even more practise I will get better at making them. But to have them nice and crispy like they should be and made in the TM is really great.

I was so disappointed when I first got my TM and made them and they went soft out of the oven, I can understand your delight at cracking it, thanks so much.  :D