Author Topic: New Oven suggestions  (Read 39414 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: New Oven suggestions
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2017, 07:59:11 pm »
I'm interested in this topic as my oven is useless so I have been looking at replacing it for a couple of years now but somehow seem to pull back each time.  Will keep an eye on this thread once again and dream of .... one day, I too, will get a new one!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2017, 08:42:11 pm »
Cookie, DIL wanted a steam oven in their renovated kitchen. Looked at the Miele but decided that there might be a problem with the water. Can't remember what the issue was , but went for a different brand of steam oven. I think it is called a combination oven. She loves it. She is a very good cook and does lots of baking. Will find out the brand , if you are interested.
She did several cooking classes with Miele and said they were very helpful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2017, 12:44:16 am »
Thanks Chookie I would love to know what brand DIL's oven is please. Personal recommendations are so much better than trying to guess. I looked at heaps online last night and got rather confused. DH keeps finding some for under $500, fortunately I know he is tormenting me. Typical of him. 😃😃😃😃😃
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2017, 06:15:11 am »
Just a tip - re cleaning oven racks ..... put em through the dishwasher ;)
Takes most of the grime off, and what doesn't come off during the wash cycle is loosened and easy to wipe off :D
I put mine through each friday night as a routine thing - keeps them wonderfully shiny and still looking new after 6 years :)
:D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2017, 10:32:28 am »
Astarra, excellent tip. I do this as well as the bits on the gas hob.
Cookie, I spoke to Wendy, who you probably met at the AA cooking class.
Her oven is a Vzug, Swiss made. She put 2 in. They are combination ovens and the steam is excellent for bread.
She said that it is important to have one that injects steam into oven.  You can have it plumbed in but she chose not to and it has a well that you fill, not very often.
She said that since she bought hers that there are a lot more around.
Wendy also said that the most important thing you can do is to go to lots of cooking classes so you can compare. She said it is easy to get carried away with a good demonstrator but poor oven.
Hope this helps.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2017, 12:05:50 pm »
My SIL bought AEG ovens Cookie.One is a steam oven,not plumbed in but you put a "wet sponge" somewhere to produce the steam.Have you thought of having a "proving draw" as well? 
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2017, 12:08:55 pm »
Thank you so much for that Chookie. We have been out looking all day. I was tossing up between the Miele and the Neff. We came home for lunch and did a lot of research and it didn't really help. The Neff was amazing. However I eventually came to the conclusion that I wouldn't use all of the million functions so we went out to Miele and bought a Miele. It has a steam function that will inject steam into the oven cavity. This is all I really wanted as I have the AF etc and will use the oven mainly for baking. It has lots of functions and the best part of all is that it is being delivered this Wednesday.
I had read that some people had had service problems with the Neff so that is what swayed me. Very easy to spend several thousand dollars when you aren't even trying. Our air con went the other day, we are wondering what will be next.

Thanks again Chookie.

Denise this oven has a proving cycle in it. Rather handy for the winter. The steam isn't plumbed in, you hold a glass of water up to a straw like thing and it sucks the water up. Then it injects it into the oven as steam.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2017, 12:15:03 pm »
Great news Cookie.Especially that you have a "proving cycle" for the winter months. ;) Roll on Wednesday when it arrives.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2017, 07:44:03 pm »
It's a hard decision, Cookie, because there are so many options and choosing the combination that is going to work best for you can be fraught with doubt.  Personally, I am a Miele fan so I am delighted you went with them - you are going to love it!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2017, 08:02:25 pm »
Cookie, good choice. Miele was Wendy's second choice. I have to say that with the Mieli appliances at Invermay, I am really impressed at the quality. The servicing of them has also been very good.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2017, 10:37:59 pm »
All sorted then cookie, it is so hard choosing appliances these days with so many out there.  Happy cooking from Wednesday onwards, love the sound of the proving function.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.