Author Topic: Going to Cairns with kids on a holiday.. Ideas please!  (Read 11407 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Re: Going to Cairns with kids on a holiday.. Ideas please!
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 12:24:10 pm »
I can't remember it NOT being there - seems like forever! And still has great long lines of people waiting for dinner on weekends...  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 12:47:08 pm »
All the things mentioned above are great to do . The drive to Port Douglas is worth it and stop off at Mossman Gorge and one of the little beaches north of Ellis Beach is a nice break. That time of year is best for beaches as the freshwater creeks, althougth beautiful are often very cold. Tablelands with the waterfalls and Lake Eacham, Lake Barrine is great. Just a day to hang around Cairns with the Esplanade and Lagoon. Enjoy some fresh prawns from a local seafood shop on the Esplanade. There are some great rainforest creeks and walks south of Cairns too such as Behana Creek, the Boulders, Josephine Falls and the Golden Hole. All lovely and cool at that time of year. If you want another day at the beach then Palm Cove or Yorkeys Knob is a nice spot where you can take along your own BBQ. Whilst on the reef you may like to try and introductory dive. It's amazing once you are under the water. Snorkelling is great because you can spend so much time on the water, but diving is another world. Regardless of what you do, you and your family are sure to enjoy your time up this way.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 01:35:04 pm »
have to agree with JD there is nothing this forum cant help people with...lol...am yet to get up that way to show DH the area and I havent been there since i was little...i spend most of my time with my family on the sunshine coast and down sydney way visiting friends etc when we are in oz..definately have to visit some of those places next time!  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 02:06:58 pm »
Wow!!  My travel plans have been arranged and at no cost!!  Even an invitation (Thanks Quirky Jo!!) We may take you up on the offer!!  By the way, I cooked your fried rice tonight (in between checking your answers!!) It was a hit!!  Leftovers will be in the girls' lunchboxes tomorrow!! I can't believe how good it tasted all steamed!!  The Basmati is so sensational in the thermomix.. 
Looking forward to Cairns!!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 10:39:52 pm »
Yay, glad you liked the fried rice! so easy.
Feel free to drop in (if I'm home that day!)  ;D Just let me know when you're coming!
I hope the weather's good for you - it's beautiful at the moment, hopefully it'll last!

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 11:22:13 pm »
Yes, that's the one Jo - amazing that it is still there.  How long ago do you remember it from Nay Nay?
It was definitely there when I lived and worked up there when I was 18 (a whole lifetime ago) and we went there while on our honeymoon 15 yrs ago this year! Ellis Beach was my favourite when I was a kid cause it had the best of both worlds I loved - The rainforest meets the beach - it always looked like a scene on a cast away island but it has got very touristy and busy since I remember it from family holidays as a kid. Hope you have wonderful weather up there and get out of this cold weather that is coming. ;)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 11:28:14 pm »
Actually it's cold up here this morning! But Cairns would be lovely - just the Tablelands is a lot cooler. You'll need a jacket for up here. We've all got long sleeves and jackets on this morning, but it will warm up soon since the sun's out. :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 11:33:22 pm »
 :) Hi, I am on the Tablelands too, not far from Jo.

A must see for you, and do the waterfall circuit. Lake Eacham, Lake Barrine.
Are you staying at Cairns coconut Resort, its the best place for families with kids.

Palm cove and Ellis beach on the way up to Port Douglas are great.

Not much else to add, but have a great time.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 06:15:13 am »
 :) Thanks everyone!!!  Lots of ideas to now plan our itinerary!!  ;D

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
Re: Going to Cairns with kids on a holiday.. THANKS!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 03:13:58 am »
Hello everyone,
our holiday to Cairns seems so long ago!  The weather was perfect, no rain until the last day, and 26 degrees- warm enough for the kids to swim!  Wow what a week.  My hubby was VERY impressed with my organisation! (Thanks thermo family!)
Train up to Kuranda and Skyrail back stopping at each of the stations.  The guide at one of the stations was so informative and loved telling the kids about the rainforest! Passions of paradise was AWESOME!  We had the only children on the cat, Ben had the patience of a saint and took my 7 and 9 year old snorkelling while the elder daughter and I went off ourselves.  The scuba dive was AMAZING!!  The coral and sealife is something else- Mother Nature at her best!  We went jungle Surfing at Cape Tribulation- A MUST DO!!  Upside down on a cable through the rain forest  ;D  Loved that one!  Huge hit with everyone, even the DH scared f heights! Waterfall circuit was sensational, though DS and I christened the hire car  :'(  Cairns markets on Saturday morning good, Port Douglas markets a little too busy for me! Mossman gorge was stunning and the walk well worth it. 
Wow, we had such a great time.  We stayed at Palm Cove, in a self contained apartment overlooking the golf course.  Simply beautiful and an easy stroll to the beach and cafe strip.  Thanks again everyone. Quirky Jo, thanks for the invite, we were so busy though and I think it best for DH to keep things simple!!

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 04:43:38 am »
 :) Great that you had a good time.
I love living here in paradise.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 08:20:47 am »
Jaclom, sounds like you had a great time.  We were up there about 20 years ago and did a few of those places - it sure is a wonderful part of the world.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 08:29:10 am »
will be doing that part and others for our next trip to oz...DH hasnt seen much other than sydney, melbourne and the sunshine coast lol...already started talking about it but it will be a while in the planning stage  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 12:04:32 pm »
I wondered how you went, Jaclom! I hoped you'd let me know if you wanted to drop by, and completely understand not having time!! I think I got really busy about that time too, and have hardly stopped since! (Hence my not being on here much :( ) Glad you enjoyed your trip!! :)