Author Topic: Vegetable juice  (Read 45026 times)

Offline Nerida

• View Profile
Vegetable juice
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:29:28 pm »
Today I made my second attempt at juicing carrot, celery, ginger and lemon... I is always very thick even though I reduced the vege matter and added water.
My juicer is broken and one of my buying justification for TM was the fact I would not have to buy another Breville juicer, does anyone have any hot tips?

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Vegetable juice
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:52:15 pm »
The best method I have found for juicing so far is as follows:

Add your fruit and ice-cubes and blitz for 30 seconds at speed 8.
Add your water and blitz for 1 minute at speed 8.
Finish it with 30 seconds at speed 10 for a silky smooth texture (Tenina's tip I think  ???)

Remember to always add ice-cubes and expect it to be a bit thick unless you strain it.

Hope this helps  :)

P.S Our favourite breakfast juice at the moment uses the method above and the following ingredients: 1 orange (peeled and halved), 1 apple (washed, cored and halved), a handful of frozen blueberries, 4 ice-cubes and 400g of water. 

Offline Nerida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:56:53 pm »
Thanks Chelsea, I will give it a go tomorrow.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 02:22:25 pm »
I either use the above method and then strain through the steamer basket lined with muslin or similar (we just don't like that 'bitty' juice that comes out otherwise) or we accept that the juice is going to be fairly diluted and do the following, which is easier:

at least 4 pieces of fruit/veg - including lemon or other strong tasting item improves end flavour.  Sugar if desired (small amount brings out flavours), add water to 1 litre mark.  Then 15 - 20 seconds / speed 8.  Finally strain through the steamer basket, just like you would with lemonade.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Jen71

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 12:06:13 am »
We are absolutely LOVING juicing in our TMX and I'm so impressed that we're not wasting all that pulp.
When you make juice with a juicer, you're left with tons of waste. Not so, in the Thermy! :)

Our favorite recipe is this variation of the "mean green" veggie juice:

2 carrots
1 cucumber
a few kale leaves (no stalks)
1 stick celery with leaves
2-3 cm fresh ginger
2 handfuls baby spinach
1 quartered apple core and all
water
a few ice cubes

Yes - it's thick like a milkshake. If you don't like it that thick, add more water.
We like it thick because its more filling.

And this morning I made a great breakfast juice:

2 oranges peeled
1 quartered apple (core and all)
2 handfuls of frozen raspberries
a good chunk of fresh ginger
1 cup water

Any other good vegetable juice recipes out there?

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:33:09 am »
jen71, i have a similar green smoothie every morning for breakfast and am interested to know why you only use the Kale leaves, I add the whole thing with the exception of the very thick end pieces.  My current one is 1 small apple cored and quartered, 1 small orange peeled and quartered, 1 mango cheek and roughly 1 cup of pineapple mixed with about 1/4 bunch of Kale ice and water. I vary the fruit depending on what I have and the vegetable between Kale and baby spinach.

Offline Jen71

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:35:16 am »
jen71, i have a similar green smoothie every morning for breakfast and am interested to know why you only use the Kale leaves, I add the whole thing with the exception of the very thick end pieces. 

The stalks of Kale can be quite bitter. So, to be safe, I stick to the leaves only. That's all.
Your juice sounds delicious - I love the pineapple. Yum!

Offline cjdlperry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 06:07:05 am »
I just came across an awesome juicing method, where you take out all the pulp after juicing in the TM.  It comes from the Living Synergy web sites where they sell nut milk bags.  They have a you tube video showing what to do using the TM & and nut milk bag to strain your juice.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IqqBakMbCjg
I just made a apple, orange, celery & lettuce salad juice & it was delish!!  I used 1 apple, 1 orange, 2 celery sticks & 2 large handfulls of salad lettuces (They used silverbeet  & cucumber but I didn't have any on hand). Mine made 250 mls of juice and 100g of pulp after I squeezed it through the nut milk bag.  They just chuck in all the chopped fruit & veggie except the leafy ones (mine was salad theirs was silverbeet) & slowly turn dial up to speed 10 for about 10 seconds, just enough to get a reduced pulp.  Then add the extra greens & same again slowly up to speed 10 for 10 - 15 seconds.  Then strain & push through the nut milk bag.  Mine was soo smooth and drinkable.  This is my first post, but I have really loved all the ideas & recipes I have found here.  Hope you find this useful too. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 07:44:34 am »
Hi cjdlperry, welcome to the forum with your first posting.  Thanks for sharing the link and your experience with the nut milk bag.  Why not pop over to the home page and post in Introduce Yourself so that we can all say hello.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 12:46:33 am »
Hi cdjlperry. I'll have a look at the site you have linked to. I have green smoothies for breakfast everyday but leave all the pulp in as I think it's a great source of fibre, but always interested in seeing other methods.