Author Topic: Granola or Lightly Toasted Muesli  (Read 15609 times)

Offline Luvtobake

• View Profile
Granola or Lightly Toasted Muesli
« on: November 10, 2014, 04:23:49 am »
Hi everyone.
I am a total newbie, and haven't even purchased a TM5 yet.
Just doing the research, and thought this might be a great place to come and ask some questions to help justify the purchase.
Thank you for the yoghurt thread!

I am starting to make a lot of my family's food 'from scratch' due to various reasons.
One thing I make every week is toasted muesli/granola. It is pretty laborious, and quite messy toasting in the oven on trays and then pouring into jars once cooled.

I've googled & googled and found lots of recipes.

My first question is, since the new Thermomix can go to a slightly higher temp, does anyone think you could successfully toast muesli in it?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Granola or Lightly Toasted Muesli
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 07:06:38 am »
Lovetobake,  don't think it would be hot enough,  but I would give it a go with a small amount. If you put the oats and nuts in you would need reverse , and even this might chop the oats up. Try putting the nuts in and cook them for say 5 mins on varoma and when they are hot try adding some oats. When I make my recipe , I like to bake the oats really well, also the roasted nuts give the Granola a nice Flavour. Let us know how you go.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 07:10:46 am »
Welcome to the forum LTB.  When do you expect to order your machine, there is quite a waiting period at the moment so if you want it before Christmas, please do think of that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:13:59 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:10:10 pm »
Welcome to the forum LTB. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 03:50:51 am »
Welcome LTB. I agree with Chookie about the thermomix not getting to a high enough temperature. I still bake my oats in the oven, and toast my seeds and nuts for muesli in the oven. The thermomix is useful for chopping up dried fruit.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 05:41:28 am »
As an alternative, you could try CADA - a handful each of Coconut, Apples, Dates, Almonds.  For such a quick and simple dish it is really delicious and takes just seconds to make.  No cooking involved.  It's tastiest and best made daily but for various reasons I can only make it in a batch once a week but it is still good by the end of the week when we get to the bottom of the jar (keep it in the fridge or freeze part).
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.