Author Topic: Fermented Vegetables  (Read 14968 times)

Offline Emme

• View Profile
Fermented Vegetables
« on: August 15, 2014, 10:46:58 am »
I have been asked about fermenting vegetables and was wondering if anyone has had any experience doing them.  I know there are recipes on the internet but was hoping someone may have a tried & true one that I could make for her. 

Offline kmw

• View Profile
Re: Fermented Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:12:21 pm »
We put our first ever batch down last night but not sure how it will go with the weather being cooler. From what we read it will take longer up to 10 days so time will tell.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 01:13:59 am »
kmw, would be intested to hear how they turn out.  Did you use a culture or just salt?

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:45:15 am »
Emme will let you know & we just used salt.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 02:26:11 pm »
Me too Kerrie, I was looking for the starter. Please keep us posted on the time etc
Denise

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 01:14:57 am »
I decided to try some sauerkraut yesterday so using some information from the net just used 3% salt.  Supposed to leave it 3-4 weeks.  Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 09:12:13 am »
Is that a special container for the fermenting Marie? MIL used to make the most delicious sauerkraut. She chopped up the cabbage and left it to ferment out in the yard with a cover over it. It tasted lovely but I didn't enjoy it as much after I knew how she made it. :-\
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 10:35:10 am »
Cookie, I bought my jar from here. Mine has a glass lid which I prefer when using  the salt.  I don't know how it will turn out but hopefully it will be okay  :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »
Thanks. I didn't know you needed special equipment.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 02:11:41 pm »
It will be interesting to see how they go. Ours is just in a normal jar wrapped in a towel upstairs where it's warmer. We buy the Byron Bay Sauerkraut which is yummy but expensive so would love to work it out how to do it.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 12:57:02 am »
Cookie, I don't think you need special equipment, I think years ago they used crocks etc.   I bought this jar to use up a credit I had at the store and thinking it would be useful if I wanted to try fermenting vegies.  When I was asked about sauerkraut  I thought it would be an opportunity to use it.  I noticed this morning it has started to bubble so I guess that is a start . I would also like to try making kimchee but I think it would be too hot & spicy for DH

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 01:24:51 am »
Emme,  I will also be interested to see how you go.  I bought a small jar at the Farmers Market, $12.   They told me to mix it with other veggies if I found the taste too strong.  I opened it and used a little and after a few weeks it grew  stuff on the top so I threw it out. 

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 02:41:31 pm »
Emme how did you go?

This is our end result & it's great, the dill in it a little over powering but with time we are going play with the recipe to how we like it but for a first time effort we are pretty pleased.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 05:05:23 am »
Kmw, the saurkraut turned out very well.  I forgot to take a photo before I gave the jar to my friend.  I used cabbage, celery and a little dulse flakes and the salt.    She was very pleased with the result.  It was a bit salty but I guess that is what it is expected to be.  She has got quite a few health issues that haven't been helped medically so is prepared to try something different.  I have also purchased a DVD on fermenting and it is very good.  There is a pineapple, mint, ginger one I am looking forward to trying that.  They do say on the DVD that fermented vegetables should be used as a condiment.  Also something else that was mentioned that I had never given thought to was the fact that preservatives in our food are put there to kill bacteria and stop the food going bad but those preservatives still keep working when we eat them and so kill out both the good and bad bacteria in the gut.  Very interesting and another reason to prepare our own.   I have found a recipe for Kimchee in the Feast magazine April 2014 that I don't mind so will make another batch of that. 
Chookie, on the DVD there was a beetroot ferment that had what they call a bloom (mould) on the top.  They say that is normal and should just be removed.  If it really stinks you throw it out. 

Offline Itsnotartitsdinner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 05:54:55 am »
I'm going to pink farm's class on fermenting in October. Looking forward to it.