Author Topic: anyone doing weight watchers?  (Read 40329 times)

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
anyone doing weight watchers?
« on: November 11, 2009, 06:53:55 am »
hi i was wondering if there is anyone else out there doing weight watchers and if so maybe we could share point values for our tm recipes...
hopefully there is! :)
Emma from Victoria

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: anyone doing weight watchers?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 07:15:08 am »
i should but i can't afford to attend meetings. i'm trying ot motivate myself to do it at home ;)
i did it last year and lost 14kg (all back on *sigh*) and used the thermomix - it drove me crazy that there weren't weights for everything in the WW online points calculator
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 07:53:30 am »
Been there, done it, need to do it again after two more kids and also trying to motivate myself to do it!!  :-)) :-)) :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:45:13 am »
Need to be doing it but lack the motivation. Too many yummy things to try and too little time
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:07:08 am »
haha what a bunch of shockers we are ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:35:19 am »
Hi em. Gunna tell you that I used to be a WW Leader many years ago after losing 25 kilos and getting down to 61 kilos. Did that for 5 years with constant struggle. Life goes on. I am now 66 years old and have lost over 200 kilos. Ok girls don't get upset. I have lost 10 gained 15 lost 15 gained 20 and so it goes. I now weigh a fabulous 82 kilos and am happy as a pig in well .....food.

Having confessed to a life of gluttony I can tell you that the Thermomix will be a great aid to losing weight if you want to. You will have no end of help here with a zillion recipes. It is all about having the right mind set and the right information. Perhaps we need a Weight Loss Thread leaving the Special Diet thread to those special dietary needs.

It is not hard to calculate WW points at all  in any recipe if you are keen.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:03:04 am »
No, I'm just fat and happy

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:45:33 am »
No, I'm just fat and happy
[/quote}

ONYA Paul!

Gertbygirth

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Fabfour

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 12:11:13 pm »
Hi em,
I just joined WW a couple of weeks ago and would love to share recipes with you. I have found that a lot of the recipes in the EDC are healthy options. One thing I have stopped making so often is bread, I just can't resist the smell of it freshly baked and I end up eating far more than I should and of course it needs butter....  How long have you been doing WW?

Offline em

• Me and my little spiderman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 12:53:02 pm »
hi all thanks for your replies.
i have just started this week after having my 2nd baby who is 4 weeks old.  i am breastfeeding so my daily points are quite high and i struggled to eat them all today.  i am finding it abit daunting/hard trying to work out how many points in home cooked meals.

i to have been making bread, i use the basic bread recipe, not sure how to work out a points value for a slice of it??   
gertbysea, is there an easy method to calculating points in a recipe, for example how would i calculate the points for a serve of potato and leek soup from the edc?
Emma from Victoria

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 04:15:13 pm »
Em, I used (that is when I was doing WW) calculate the points for the whole recipe...somewhere in the points calculator there used to be values for a cup of flour etc and then I would work out how much I wanted for a serving and how many of those I would get from the recipe and divide it basically. It might not have been exact but must have been close enough as I had success...maybe I need to get motivated again  ??? ???
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 09:54:45 pm »
Ok em. Get your Points guide out. If you don't have one then buy one at your next meeting. This will be your new best friend.

Get you EDC out. Pen and paper.

Look up all ingredients one by one in points guide.   Onion no points. Leek no points. Butter 10 gms = 2.5 points so 3 X 2.5=7.5 points. Potatoes are 1 point for every  125 gms so 2 points. You still with me? Water  zip points Ditto salt and pepper. Now to the cream. For every 20 mls you count 2.5 points. MC = 100 mls so 2.5 X 5 =12.5 points Your soup is now a total of  22 points. If you eat 1/2 it is 11 points. If you eat 1/4 it is 5.5 points.

Every time you check the points of an ingredient just jot it down in your EDC

You can make a no points vegetable soup by making the veggie stock concentrate and when you are feeling hungry you can just add a tsp to a big cup of hot water. Or make a big pot of no points vegetable soup. Add some beans , chicken or meat for your protein and count those points. Roughly 3 points for every 100gms.

If we start giving out Weight Watchers advice on this forum WW Inc will be down on us like a ton of bricks!. LOL!If you need more help in figuring it out send me a PM.

Hope this can get you started.

Gretchen

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 03:20:30 am »
Gretchen, your weight loss is wonderful and I'm glad you've now found the happy medium.
I too was a WW leader many, many moons ago. I then stacked it all back on plus a bit more. 5 years ago a friend joined a company and it cost her $720. I figured I could do it on my own for less than that and it was my motivation. At the time the first CSIRO diet book had just come out and we stuck to that for quite a while as it really suited our eating habits. I lost 30kg and have kept it off for 4 years now. It is still a battle and would be so easy to fall back. I am still no where near my ideal weight and my BMI is still a bit high but I  can stay at this weight and still enjoy life and not live on lettuce and tomato. Who could with a thermomix.
Good luck to anyone who is trying to lose weight.  My only bit of advice is if you fall off the wagon today; don't give up. Tomorrow is a new day.
Off my soap box now! ;D ;D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Nay-nay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 08:43:05 am »
Hi Em - wish you all the best with it. I used to work at WW and one of my very good friends was leader. It works if you follow it but I must confess I really didn't like all the artificial sweetener etc that is in the food they advise is 'GOOD' for you- stick with the good food recipes they have where you can make stuff from scratch (with TMX that's easy!!) and away from all the packets is my advise.  ;) :D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 05:58:29 am »
Should probably be doing something -other than eating and drinking so bloody much - but exercise (lack of) is my biggest problem.

Saw a program on TV last night with Sarah Fergie (Duchess) trying to help a family in the UK with sorting out their weight problems - then realised I am not so bad - but still need to get a sensible exercise regimen going.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.